PDA

View Full Version : Benchcrafted Moxon Vise Builds

David Wadstrup
09-09-2011, 11:02 AM
Hello,

I have a Benchcrafted Moxon Vise(hardware only) on the way to me. I have a couple of different ideas about how I'll go about designing the eventual build. Namely, I'm either going to go with a simple Moxon vise set-up, or, I might incorporate it into a bench-on bench type deal with bench dogs and everything. Anyways, I'd love to hear from any one who has recently put together the new Benchcrafted Moxon Vise. Photos would be particularly helpful

Thanks,

David

Sean Hughto
09-09-2011, 1:11 PM
I didn't use Benchcrafted hardware, but here's a pic of my Moxon Vise showing the jaw and support block details for what it may be worth to you:
http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5069/5608136319_ca9b88c9ac_z.jpg

Chris Griggs
09-09-2011, 1:28 PM
WOW! That's one of the nicest I've seen. If you don't end up using it feel free to send it to me. You've had some great posting as of late Sean! Keep'em coming.

Curt Putnam
09-09-2011, 1:48 PM
I've been thinking along the same lines but I want to end up with two modules that cane be used independently or operate as a single integrated unit. What's holding up the process is that I'm working on different ways to make the whole thing(s) height adjustable as well.

bob blakeborough
09-09-2011, 2:20 PM
Not a benchcrafted, but my homemade Moxon Vise...

http://a1.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash4/314610_10150786461295693_895470692_20619247_375166 _n.jpg

Here is the thread if you want to see how it is set up...

Prashun Patel
09-09-2011, 2:50 PM
Can one of these be made with low cost press screws?

Sean Hughto
09-09-2011, 3:13 PM
Rob did (carriage bolts at least - not sure what "press screws" are):

http://www.rpwoodwork.com/blog/2011/03/23/moxon-vise-another-version/

Sean Hughto
09-09-2011, 3:17 PM
Oh, you mean like veneer "press" screws! the vise doesn't function like a veneer press, but you could almost certainly rearrange the "nut" to make it work.

Jessica Pierce-LaRose
09-09-2011, 4:01 PM
Sean, I love the large wooden bits that look like "acorn nuts" pierced with the handles on the end of your vice...

Matt Sullenbrand
09-10-2011, 12:05 AM
I made mine with cheap veneer press screws and they work surprisingly well. You just throw away the press part and mount the nut recessed into the back chop. It holds like the dickens. Will post pictures sometime.

Joel Goodman
09-10-2011, 1:02 AM
Yes, I made one with the "press screws" from LV. They work very well. I'll post a picture to show the square washers that are recessed into the outside face of the chop so that the base of the handles of the screws don't mar the wood.

Georg Zudoff
09-10-2011, 1:46 AM
Very nice vises! Look so pretty, especially front jaw (not sure because English is not my language). Georg

David Keller NC
09-10-2011, 8:21 AM
I have a couple of different ideas about how I'll go about designing the eventual build. Namely, I'm either going to go with a simple Moxon vise set-up, or, I might incorporate it into a bench-on bench type deal with bench dogs and everything.

I would recommend against the bench-on-a-bench idea unless you:

1) Use a router frequently for joinery. The elevated horizontal surface would be very handy for this type of operation, and for using a router to rough in inlays.

2) Want to use if for carving. Same idea - the horizontal surface that's elevated to elbow height will alleviate the sore-back issue when carving on a bench meant for joinery and planing.

On the severe downside to the bench-on-bench idea, it will be very heavy, particularly with iron hardware. In my shop, very heavy = very infrequently used.

David Wadstrup
09-10-2011, 5:59 PM
Hi David,

Thanks for the recommendation. I've been trying to figure out how much I would end up using the bench on bench. The weight will only be a small issue as I'll be storing whatever I end up building(Moxon or B-on-B) on the shelf under the bench I'm building. In other words, not a lot of traveling with it -- just one heavy lift. I'm guessing I wouldn't use it a whole lot, but I figured that the B-on-B would serve two functions -- as a regular Moxon, and as a small elevated joinery bench -- all in one fixture. But... how often would I use it??? I will never use a router, and I can't imagine that I'll do a whole lot of carving either. Would it be useful for small work, like small boxes or toys? Or would it raise my pieces too high? What do you guys use a bench on bench for?

Charlie MacGregor
09-10-2011, 7:06 PM
David, I put mine together yesterday and mostly just followed the Benchcrafted drawings. I left the stabilizer full length and have found that the hold-fasts work well. If I were going to use clamps I would make it longer to extend past the jaws like Sean's and Bob's. Oh and yes, thats my beaver-killed-poplar-sawn-timbers-across-sawhorses bench. (and this is my first and only vise so far)

Jim Neeley
09-10-2011, 7:26 PM
Sean,

How heavy is your vise setup?

Jim

Sean Hughto
09-10-2011, 8:36 PM
Uh, about as heavy as two 8/4 maple boards 30 inches long. I'm no macho man, but I never think about its weight in using or storing it. It is much lighter than many bowl blanks I wrestle onto the lathe or bandsaw. It's maybe in the league with a table saw sled.

I keep it on a shelf above my grinder and have never thought twice about lifiting over my head to put it away or get it down:

http://farm7.static.flickr.com/6079/6118170831_44d14af2c1_z.jpg

Joel Goodman
09-10-2011, 11:01 PM
Here's a Moxon made with LV press screws. I recessed a square washer in the front of the chop so that the wood wouldn't get trashed. Also I had to file a tiny bit of the metal opposite from back of the handle as it was rubbing on the front of the chop -- perhaps a washer would have solved that. Otherwise just toss out the piece at the end of the screw and reverse the nut. There's also a picture of the back of the vise showing the nut which is press fit. Not fancy but works fine. It has the longer roughly 3X3 on the back and holdfasts hold it rock steady.
e207322207323

Dale Sautter
09-10-2011, 11:04 PM
Photos would be particularly helpful

How about a video...

Benchcrafted Moxon Kit - Build, Mod, Demos
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JJbIgZtf44U

I haven't ordered mine yet, but the one in the video has some pretty good ideas.

Jim Matthews
09-11-2011, 4:23 PM
Cheapo variant (http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?171223-New-vises-for-a-new-bench&p=1762304&highlight=#post1762304), to determine if the tool works for me...

I used galvanized pipe, and will migrate to veneer press screws. This design makes my bench more versatile.

Tri Hoang
09-11-2011, 4:37 PM
Sean...Your Moxon vise is a beauty and very inspiring. Thanks for sharing.

Don Dorn
09-11-2011, 5:54 PM
How about a video...

Benchcrafted Moxon Kit - Build, Mod, Demos
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JJbIgZtf44U

I haven't ordered mine yet, but the one in the video has some pretty good ideas.

I saw that and followed his advise so it would be ready to go before the hardware got here. I discovered two issues quickly.

First is that your right side has to be at the right edge of the bench for this to work otherwise the clamp interferes with your ability to move it in from the side. This is a problem for me because I tend to use that area over the leg for chisel work and don't want to move the vise.

Second, the hardware works so well that getting the piece out from the top and putting a new one in is a snap and just as fast - maybe faster. All you do is spin the wheel and push the chop outward with your work piece - put the new one in and give it a spin. I was amazed that it truly does hold without having to sinch it up.

While I left the two holes on the left because it's a good idea, I did lop off that extra area on the right - the vice is less cumbersome and there isn't any loss in productivity. I also cut enough off each edge to create "ears" with the fixed vise and found it works great. Also - if you are considering skipping the back batton as I did - put it on. I found the whole vise to be totally secure and unmovable with it, but did see a bit of rocking at the top without it. I guess it's that whole wider distribution thing. Anyway - learn from my mistakes and because I seem to make allot of them, you could end up being pretty smart.

Jessica Pierce-LaRose
09-11-2011, 7:53 PM
First is that your right side has to be at the right edge of the bench for this to work otherwise the clamp interferes with your ability to move it in from the side. This is a problem for me because I tend to use that area over the leg for chisel work and don't want to move the vise.

Seems to me the answer to this would be to hold the moxon vise with holdfasts or a surface clamp or something, so it's secured from behind. Then the right side should be open to slide the piece in and out.

Don Dorn
09-11-2011, 8:48 PM
That's true, it would. However, I discovered that it's still awkward if you are right handed. That is the hand you want to use for the wheel which means you would cross over. If you used your right to move the piece, then the left uses the wheel and it's not near as efficient. That was my experience anyway - and discovered that by using the piece itself to open the movebale jaw while using the right hand for the wheel, it can be flipped very quickly and the wheel gets a quick spin and you are back in business.

It may work better if the larger opening were on the left. I'm not suggesting that it won't work, but for me the theory of it was far better than the practice of it.

Derek Cohen
09-12-2011, 2:45 AM
I posted this article on my website several months ago: http://www.inthewoodshop.com/ShopMadeTools/MoxonDovetailVise.html

There are a few additional features over the original version posted by Chris Schwarz.

http://www.inthewoodshop.com/ShopMadeTools/MoxonDovetailVise_html_m7c02ba0a.jpg

Regards from Perth

Derek

Jim Matthews
09-12-2011, 1:11 PM
Seems to me the answer to this would be to hold the moxon vise with holdfasts or a surface clamp or something, so it's secured from behind. Then the right side should be open to slide the piece in and out.

I have a LV surface clamp at the rear, and a cut out in the front for a bar clamp.
These allow me to run the Moxxon square up to the right edge.

I've managed to rip fairly straight along an 18" cherry board this way.
You do need to plan ahead for the front cut out, when building but the Moxxon disassembles readily for retrofits.

Chris Griggs
09-12-2011, 1:28 PM
Anyone catch this: http://mattsbasementworkshop.com/464-building-the-benchcrafted-moxon-vise/

I think it was just posted today.