PDA

View Full Version : 9/11 threat against New York and Washington

Kevin Gregoire
09-08-2011, 7:57 PM
here is a CNN breaking news email i just received

A government official tells CNN that members of Congress were briefed by the White House, intelligence and other officials on Thursday that there is a "specific, credible but unconfirmed threat" to the U.S. homeland as the 9/11 anniversary approaches.

The members were told that officials are "strongly concerned" and "are not taking anything for granted" the source told CNN.

Additionally, a senior administration official with first-hand knowledge tells CNN National Security Contributor Fran Townsend that there is "specific, credible but unconfirmed threat information."

The official noted that al Qaeda has shown an interest in important dates and anniversaries.

"Weird things" raised questions about the intelligence but officials felt they should inform people because of the nearing 9/11 anniversary.

John Coloccia
09-08-2011, 8:12 PM
Not sure why they're even telling us. Now everyone knows that we're on to them, but the level of detail isn't enough for anyone in New York, for example, to do anything constructive other than maybe skip town. We seem to be awful chatty these days for some reason, and I wonder how healthy that is.

Phil Thien
09-08-2011, 9:17 PM
Not sure why they're even telling us. Now everyone knows that we're on to them, but the level of detail isn't enough for anyone in New York, for example, to do anything constructive other than maybe skip town. We seem to be awful chatty these days for some reason, and I wonder how healthy that is.

I sometimes wonder if these types of announcements are designed to make those possibly plotting an attack think we're onto them.

That is, maybe we have NO specific knowledge of any threat (credible or not), but hypothesize they may try something on this significant anniversary. So we say we have some information, and if the evil doers are scheming something, they get nervous and ditch their plans?

Michael Weber
09-08-2011, 11:59 PM
Nothing like a little fear to keep people in line, advance your agenda and justify your continued existence.

Greg Peterson
09-09-2011, 12:38 AM
Nothing like a little fear to keep people in line, advance your agenda and justify your continued existence.

Bingo! Guess we're back to that game again. What's next, a color coded threat level?

Bryan Morgan
09-09-2011, 1:11 AM

Agreed. I don't believe in any of these threats anymore. Boy cried wolf too many times...

Phil Thien
09-09-2011, 8:50 AM

Good point.

If the information was specific and credible, it would seem like you have everything you need to go get the evil-doers without much fanfare.

If you can't come up with the bad-actors, then the information was not as specific or credible as you claimed.

I still think this was an orchestrated attempt to make terrorists think we're onto whatever they're planning. But that does give our team a lot of credit for forward thinking.

Joe Angrisani
09-09-2011, 9:28 AM
Or....

It's just a news company hyping a story to hook viewers.

Greg Peterson
09-09-2011, 10:05 AM
It is interesting just how seamlessly and effortlessly the news outlets have dusted off their fear mongering machinery. Upside is tremendous with little downside.

Bryan Morgan
09-09-2011, 4:36 PM
Or....

It's just a news company hyping a story to hook viewers.

This is a good point too. Maybe I'm a little slow but I figured out the medias business plan. They must report fear and things that will create controversy, therefore ensuring another story, while collecting the ad revenue of course.... ad infinitum.

Michael Weber
09-09-2011, 6:30 PM
My my my, we are a cynical bunch.;)

Joe Angrisani
09-09-2011, 8:38 PM

No. Mainly just me. :D

Phil Thien
09-09-2011, 8:53 PM

If you believe the news, I suppose you're cynical.

If you think the gov't is making it up, I suppose you're cynical.

If you think the media is exaggerating, I suppose you're cynical.

I'm not sure there are any non-cynical options here.

Tom Winship
09-09-2011, 9:05 PM
It is interesting just how seamlessly and effortlessly the news outlets have dusted off their fear mongering machinery. Upside is tremendous with little downside.

Back in the day, life insurance was the only product that I can recall was sold through fear tactics. Now it seems it has spread to everything. (Gold, etc.)