PDA

View Full Version : No nuts or bolts were injured to make this vessel

Michelle Rich
09-08-2011, 7:33 PM
;) As you all can see I have been on a kick to jazz up" vessels from a board." This is the fanciest yet. Black Limba. This one is a simple through flute type of idea. Maybe the next one will be spirals. I'll see if I can do it well on a straight sided vessel. Not sure how it will look. Hope this tickles your fancy.

This (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wcncm8T44k4) is a YouTube video, the first I have ever done. It has a representative group of items I have made over the years. If you have time, i'd be honored if you'd visit and view. thanks

Dick Wilson
09-08-2011, 7:37 PM
Beautiful job Michelle. I like it

Tom Winship
09-08-2011, 7:45 PM
Great, Michelle. I did view your You Tube and didn't realize you are both an accomplished flatwork professional as well as professional turner. I've just started turning and certainly will never get to your level.

Keep up the beautiful work.

charlie knighton
09-08-2011, 7:48 PM
very nice Michelle, sort of segmenting with no wood, striking

John Keeton
09-08-2011, 7:53 PM
Neat piece, Michelle, and a really nice video! Since you are retired and no longer are involved in a commercial enterprise with your work, I do not see a problem with the link to the video, so I edited your post to add the link.

Michelle Rich
09-08-2011, 8:07 PM
Thank you John. Appreciate your help.

Jim Burr
09-08-2011, 8:45 PM
I really like your wood combination Michelle! The flute idea looks like fun. Only thing that made me go "Hmmmm" was maybe more taper on the finial...but my eyes may need more lenses than they have already!

Baxter Smith
09-08-2011, 8:48 PM
Neat vessel but even better video. Lots of great work there!

Michelle Rich
09-09-2011, 5:16 AM
I could not get a good picture no matter what I did. my camera makes everything look squatter than it is, and here there is a shadow behind the finial, so it appears fatter than it is...

Michelle Rich
09-09-2011, 5:19 AM
Thanks Baxter..it was the first I ever did. I didn't even know i had windows movie maker & that I could use pictures in it. An internet friend told me about it and got me headed in the right direction. Technologically advanced, I am not!

Donny Lawson
09-09-2011, 6:30 AM
Nice work and great video. I saw in the last picture of your video you had some spiral/fluted pens. Those are really neat. That's something I would like to make. Looks difficult though.

Michelle Rich
09-09-2011, 6:44 AM
thanks Donny for watching my video. I appreciate you commenting too. Yes spiraling is tough. there are many methods. One can do them by hand, by router crafter, a unit that was sold by Sears years ago, and by a Legacy ornamental mill. A fella by the name of Mortimer has great info on spirals and another guy named Bill Bowers has a book out on how to do by hand. Hope you get to it someday and enjoy making spirals.

Russell Eaton
09-09-2011, 7:22 AM
Michelle, Nice vessel and a great video. You have made some incredible pieces, thanks for sharing them with us.

Bob Rotche
09-09-2011, 7:45 AM
Love the slots! Very creative and unique. I've been looking at ways of embellishing turnings and will definitely have to add this to the list. Photo saved for future reference.

Dan Hintz
09-09-2011, 7:56 AM
First thing I thought of when I saw it... reminded me of a machine collet with a broken bit sticking out of it :)

Nate Davey
09-09-2011, 8:13 AM
Subscribed, impatiently waiting the next video :D. Wonderful work Michelle, top notch.

Bernie Weishapl
09-09-2011, 9:47 AM
Beautiful piece Michelle and a really nice video. Thanks for sharing.

James Combs
09-09-2011, 10:03 AM
First thing I thought of when I saw it... reminded me of a machine collet with a broken bit sticking out of it :)

A really out of the box design. Very nice. Similar to Dan, it reminds me of something mechanical, my first thought was an armature out of an odd shaped electric motor.

Tim Rinehart
09-09-2011, 10:17 AM
Cool piece and exceptional items in the video. I think I recall one of your talents (and what kept you busy) was making chairs, is that right? I've never made a chair (or any kind of furniture piece that anyone would want) but suspect there is much more to them than meets the eye to get design/comfort/strength melded together. Beautiful work! I like!