PDA

View Full Version : Woodworking forums

Donny Lawson
09-08-2011, 5:55 PM
I was wondering what other woodworking forums you belong to?? I belong to a few others but in my opinion this one is the best by far.Alot more members here and you can get your questions answered fast. I'm on IAP,Penturners paradise,Woodworking Talk. I like to see projects from all over and enjoy them all.

Baxter Smith
09-08-2011, 9:09 PM
Belong to several other woodturning ones but those are more of just an observer. Too many and it could become a full timre job! Have briefly browsed some other woodworking ones but this is home.:)

Larry Frank
09-08-2011, 9:23 PM
I belong to a couple but this one is the best and the only one that I read on a regular basis.

One thing that I have noticed is that there are people who post the same thing on several of the forums.

Donny Lawson
09-08-2011, 9:35 PM
I belong to a couple but this one is the best and the only one that I read on a regular basis.

One thing that I have noticed is that there are people who post the same thing on several of the forums.

I will admit I am one that posts the same on several sites looking for different answers. I've noticed others doing the same. No harm in that.

Jim O'Dell
09-08-2011, 11:08 PM
I will admit I am one that posts the same on several sites looking for different answers. I've noticed others doing the same. No harm in that.

That's the reason there are multiple forums out there, isn't it? Different forums get different types of people. Some of them think in different ways, which also makes some of them pretty harsh. But they all offer ideas from different points of view and backgrounds. I've always believed education is seeing all the different ideas on a subject. I will decide what works best for me. Only getting a limited amount of information and following it only is leaning toward indoctrination. I figure if it serves me well with religion, and philosophy, it's bound to work with woodworking as well.;) :D:D
I belong to 4 forums. One I only look at once a day for ideas on special deals on equipment, and the quality of that site has declined a lot in the last year. Two, including SMC, that I seek advice and try to offer tidbits I've learned and found useful, and one that I only visit when I'm really bored, which isn't too often these days. Jim.

Matt Meiser
09-09-2011, 8:20 AM
I've been at SMC and my club's forum (Southeast Michigan Woodworkers) since almost the beginning of both and they are the ones I post on regularly and feel like I know the people. I regularly check in at Woodnet but almost never post. Same with Family Woodworking. I look at the Festool Owners Group forum occasionally, mostly the classifieds, and occasionally the OWWM site gets me hooked in but that tends to result in rusty, dirty machinery moving into my shop so I try to be careful about how much time I spend there :) Hadn't been to Wood Central in years--I'd kind of forgotten about it--until Keith mentioned that updates on SMC's availability during the hurricane would be posted over there if needed.

Jim Rimmer
09-09-2011, 9:50 AM
I joined a couple of others (Lumberjocks and The Woodwhisperers forum and a router forum) and posted a few times. Finally quit even looking at them. One reason among many for staying primarily at SMC is the organization of the posts, the ability to easily search and being able to eliminate the forums that hold no interest for me. In addition, I get a lot of good quality info from reading other peoples' posts and from the answers to my own posts. I regularly visit the Woodwhisper's website but not the forum. For laughs I go to Woodworking for Mere Mortals, and I check in on the NYW On-Line to watch the new video they post each week.

Rick Prosser
09-09-2011, 11:46 AM
I am on 3 regularly, and probably 5-6 total. I like the different viewpoints, but some of the interfaces are more of a pain than here.