PDA

View Full Version : Supernova2 Indexing Plate Use?

Bob Wolfe
09-08-2011, 12:25 PM
Reading a thread today about cutting a tenon for chucking a bowl reminded me of something I've been meaning to research. Does anyone know to use the indexing back plate plate on a supernova 2 chuck? I checked their web sight and found a mention of it, but no instructions. It appears that you would have to build some kind of specialized jig with a sliding pin positioned just perfectly to engage a hole. Appreciate any help in this matter.

Bob Wolfe
09-11-2011, 1:36 AM
Bump...One more time, anybody out there use the backplate on their Supernova 2 chuck for indexing. Thanks in advance.

Johnny Taylor
09-11-2011, 4:12 AM
Bob, you got it right first time, you need to make some kind of pin device to engage the holes. Having said that prior to owning a lathe with an integral indexing plate I did utilise the sn2 indexing simply by taping a nail as a pointer to line up with the holes roughly by hand to mark out lines for decoration etc, where perfect accuracy was not required.

Michelle Rich
09-11-2011, 7:41 AM
If I wanted to use that indexing, I would make an "L" shaped jig & use magnets to hold it to the bed. i would find my center & put a nail or sharp rod in at that height. I could then just move the L shaped unit out of the way & turn to next hole and move the L shaped unit back,

Bob Wolfe
09-11-2011, 4:12 PM
Thanks Johnny and Michelle for your idea / comments. I just wanted to make sure that I wasn't trying to "reinvent the wheel" before I devised a setup that may not even work very well. I was hoping that someone would chime in that had already made one before I set off in the wrong direction.