PDA

View Full Version : LV Block Plane Push Handle, Any Good?

Harvey Pascoe
09-08-2011, 11:38 AM
I finally decided on buying this plane and was intrigued by the optional push handle, what they call a "tote". Just can't decide on whether a handle for a plane this small would be of benefit. There are times when I have trouble pushing my LN 102 which is even smaller and thought maybe . . . ?

Anybody got one and like to comment?207152

glenn bradley
09-08-2011, 11:43 AM
I have it and the front knob and use it more with it on than off. Now having some experience, would go with the ball-tail and knob although, the tote give you better lateral control for things that benefit from it.

Brian Kent
09-08-2011, 11:44 AM
I have not used it, but when I just tried it at a show, it felt great to my hands.

Chris Griggs
09-08-2011, 11:44 AM
I have the front knob which I didn't like at first but has really grown on my lately - haven't used the handle but folks seem to like it a lot. The tote and knob are really designed to convert it to a small smoother. You don't really need the tote, as the plane is big enough that you can get a lot of pressure and a good grip just by placing your hand on the back.

It's kinda nice just to leave the front knob on without the tote since it sorta gives you the best of both a small smoother and a block (I'm lazy and don't like changing things around). I had originally planned to buy the tote and still might, but really don't think I'd use it all that much - I'm sure its great, but just don't think I'd bother to take it on an off.

Harvey Pascoe
09-08-2011, 11:55 AM
I repeatedly have to size and smooth shop veneered beveled box top frames (1" x 1" x 12") which are held in a jig for planing, but have trouble controling the plane. I figured the handles would make for better control. Sounds like it will as I work with some pretty tough tropicals.

While I like my LN 102, I'm not too happy with the excessive slack in the blade adjuster and figure the LV adjuster is a LOT better (I have other LV planes).

Chris Griggs
09-08-2011, 12:15 PM
BTW - Rob Lee recommends the small tote (over the ball tail or large tote) for most people - the description implies that most would probably prefer the large and when they first designed the totes the small was specifically intended for people with smaller than average hands. However, what they have found is that most people prefer the small, and find that it gives them more control.

Zach England
09-08-2011, 2:23 PM
I had it and did not like it. I don't remember why.

Harvey Pascoe
09-08-2011, 2:52 PM
Sounds like a winner, I just ordered it. Thanks, guys.

Rob Lee
09-08-2011, 3:20 PM
Sounds like a winner, I just ordered it. Thanks, guys.

Hi Harvey - thanks for the order!

Cheers,

Rob
(trying to figure out a new route home that'll miss the flooding on I-81 in PA, and NY....)

Jerome Hanby
09-08-2011, 3:38 PM
You have to love that! If I didn't already have every mythical future dollar I might have to spend on tools mentally committed to LV, a post like this would do the trick.

Hi Harvey - thanks for the order!

Cheers,

Rob
(trying to figure out a new route home that'll miss the flooding on I-81 in PA, and NY....)

Ben Johnson WI
09-09-2011, 8:49 AM
Anyone know if the LV handle with work with other low-angle block planes? I've got one of the newer Stanley SW 60 1/2s I received as a gift, and this would be a nice enhancement to it...

Sam Takeuchi
09-09-2011, 8:56 AM
No it doesn't work.

glenn bradley
09-09-2011, 10:15 AM
No it doesn't work.

+1. The LV plane body is designed and machined with the handle in mind. Other planes would not accept the screws.

Ben Johnson WI
09-09-2011, 10:35 AM
+1. The LV plane body is designed and machined with the handle in mind. Other planes would not accept the screws.

Thanks for the info. Maybe I'll investigate whether I can cut/tap/modify some steel stock I've got lying around to make a mount to accommodate a handle. I'm already looking at developing some kind of baseplate I can mount one of my low-angle planes to in order to make it rock-solid/heavy for shooting, since my LAs consist of a block and a jointer.

Jessica Pierce-LaRose
09-09-2011, 11:39 AM
Patrick Leach does sell something similar that works with some other block planes

http://www.supertool.com/bphandle.htm

I don't know if it'd work on their new 60 1/2 planes, and it's also more pricey, but it might give you an idea.

Jim Belair
09-09-2011, 1:39 PM
The LV plane body is designed and machined with the handle in mind. Other planes would not accept the screws.

...and its only the Low Angle LV block that accepts the tote. I use the Standard Angle LV with just the front knob as my small smoother. I found the tote was too far above the centre of gravity for my liking. With the front knob I get additional control and my right hand nicely cups the plane body.

Jim B

Ryan Mooney
09-09-2011, 1:56 PM
I'm wondering in what cases you guys use the block plane + handle vs just reaching for another plane?

I tend to use the block plane in for stuff that needs shorter strokes, is a tight inside cut or where I'm working off a corner to fit and usually end up either working on the pull stroke or taking very short push strokes. When I'm taking a longer or deeper swipe I'll generally pull out my old #4 or larger. It may well be that I'm totally missing some block plane usage trick though and would love to hear it :D

- wondering if I should have gotten the low angle instead of the standard....