PDA

View Full Version : box fan for dust extraction

Harvey M. Taylor
09-08-2011, 11:10 AM
How sucessful is a box fan with a return-air filter attached to the back for getting sanding dust out of the area around the lathe? Any experience with this setup with members of the Creek? Max

Prashun Patel
09-08-2011, 11:31 AM
It's way less efficient than a squirrel cage blower with a furnace fan filter on the intake. When you strap a filter to the intake of a box fan, it reduces the airflow a lot.

That being said, you can make up for this by moving the fan closer to your work, and possibly having multiples. At $20/per fan and $5-10/filter, IMHO, if you have the space and don't mind the moving around, they're a GREAT way to keep dust localized.

Now, on a lathe, most of my problem is chips and shavings (vs dust) for which the fan is useless.

phil harold
09-08-2011, 11:34 AM
It is better than nothing...

I use a small squirrel cage fan from a range hood on mine and with a 4" thick filter

Reed Gray
09-08-2011, 11:42 AM
A box fan works best if you have open doors on both sides or ends of your shop. One fan to blow the dust away from you, and the other to blow it out the door. It isn't very effective if you just have the fan and filter sitting in a window. If you build a box around your lathe, or what you are sanding, and it funnels into the fan and filter, it will do a lot better.

robo hippy

Bill Bulloch
09-08-2011, 12:03 PM
I have two box fans with filters in my shop that come on when I cut the lights on and stay on until I cut the lights off. They circulate the the air in the shop continuously and if you could see the filers after the end of the day you would appriciate the amount of dust that they remove. They might not be the best, but something is better than nothing.

Bill Bolen
09-08-2011, 12:33 PM
I too use that method. One filtered fan in front of me and close to the lathe with a second behind me blowing air towards #1 fan. Just a redneck air cleaner but it works well for this redneck.

Harry Robinette
09-08-2011, 10:43 PM
A regular furnace filter will only remove the dust you can see it does NOTHING for the air your BREATHING. The Filtrate for animal dander will help but the fan wont move hardly any air.You need a High output fan like a furnace blower with a Filtrate filter 0n the intake side.I have pretty bad lungs and I bought a ambient air cleaner. I tried all the fans and filter set-ups and they all work but not completely your taking chances with your breathing which is one thing you need.
And just so you know there are fine dust like but wet particles that come from green wood that are just as bad for your lungs. If your trying to turn safely checkout the micron level of the filters and if possible get an ambient air cleaner. I know how hard it gets to breath some days please take care of your lungs.
As aways just my $.02

Michelle Rich
09-09-2011, 6:55 AM
I agree with Harry..the new dust collectors trap down to one micron..the homemade one will just recirculate the medium & small dust..

Bernie Weishapl
09-09-2011, 9:52 AM
Fan work ok but still circulate dust as was said. I bought a cheap HF dust collector and put a Wyn filter on it down to .5 micron and also have a air cleaner which recirculates air at 8 times a hour. I had a box fan and IMHO it didn't do well.

Michelle Rich
09-09-2011, 12:22 PM
Harvey: I just ran across a product at Lee Valley..called DEMO AIR NET..it goes on a regular box fan or large round fan and collects to 5 micron. that's better ..not terrific but better. You might want to check it out.

Harvey M. Taylor
09-09-2011, 5:09 PM
Thanks to everyone for your info. Especially Michelle. I just ordered their catalog.On with the research, Max