PDA

View Full Version : Frosted glass material?

Nick Syrax
09-08-2011, 9:55 AM
Is there any material I can buy that is possibly sticker or static that looks like frosted glass that is safe to cut with my laser? I know they make vinyl, but obviously I don't need to cut that stuff.

Michael Hunter
09-08-2011, 3:05 PM
Someone makes 1/4" acrylic with a "frosted glass" look - I was given a sample and it looks quite nice.
It is out in my workshop, but I will have a look tomorrow and find out who makes it.

Chuck Stone
09-08-2011, 3:54 PM
Michael .. I almost answered the same thing, saw some frosted yesterday.
But then i noticed the "sticker or static" in his post.. think he's looking for
the flexible stuff that you can print at home and then put on your window.
I haven't seen it in frosted though. I suppose you could sand blast it..

Michael Hunter
09-09-2011, 7:02 AM
Chuck - you are probably right and the thick frosted stuff would not be the right thing for Nick.

I can't find the sample anyway - I think it might have been from Rohm, but I am far from sure.

Joe Pelonio
09-09-2011, 7:52 AM
The film is available at sign supplies, most vinyl companies such as Arlon and 3M make it in clear and a few tint colors. It is vinyl, and should be applied after laser cutting. I don't know of any that's not vinyl. You can get frosted acrylic at most plastics suppliers, in 1/8" and 1/4".

Dan Hintz
09-09-2011, 7:57 AM
Joe,

I spent a bit of time looking for a polyester version when the thread was first posted, but so far no joy...

Nick Syrax
09-09-2011, 9:14 AM
I always know I can rely on this forum for answers :0)

Chuck Stone
09-09-2011, 10:17 AM
I did find that Papilio has a backlit decal paper that might fit the bill, it is
made of PET but it is non adhesive. Their decal adhesive will work with it, though.
Tried a couple of links, but only found single sheets. I'll check later when I have
more time

Martin Boekers
09-09-2011, 10:26 AM
There is polyester (maybe it was styrene) frosted material in sheeting. Graphic Arts suppliers should have it. We used this in the trade show graphics industry
as an overlaminate. It was thin but not as flexible as vinyl.

What about frosted Mylar sheets?

Michael Hunter
09-09-2011, 12:43 PM
Found it - Rohm Plexiglass Satin Ice

Joe Pelonio
09-09-2011, 9:36 PM
Joe,

I spent a bit of time looking for a polyester version when the thread was first posted, but so far no joy...
I looked too and finally did find it! Not a bad price, either.

http://www.decorativefilm.com/ecart/categories.asp?cID=4&p=3&c=93453