PDA

View Full Version : HF for Epilepsy Foundation Auction

Steve Schlumpf
09-07-2011, 10:28 PM
I was honored a few weeks ago by Robin Costelle when he asked me to join a group of turners that were creating pieces specifically for an upcoming Epilepsy Foundation auction. I like a challenge as much as the next guy but nothing makes you pay attention to detail more than when you know some of the turners you look up to are going to be checking out your work!

This beautiful piece of Upper Peninsula Curly Maple was sanded to 1200 and dyed one time only with a mix of RIT that gave it a slight aqua tint. Because of the 1200 grit - very little of the dye was absorbed - which is the effect I was after. Colors vary from yellow, green, teal, blue and clear maple... so depending on which angle you are viewing the piece from - the predominate color changes. The acrylic finial was turned, buffed and then sanded to create frosted facets on an otherwise clear material. The piece is 4.75" in diameter x 4.25" high to the top of finial and is very light weight. Finish is multiple coats of gloss wipe-on-poly, buffed and given a coat of Renaissance wax.

Robin, I hope this will help raise some funds!

207114 207115 207116
207117 207118 207119

As always, your comments, opinions and critiques are welcome!

Thanks for looking!

Scott Hackler
09-07-2011, 10:53 PM
Nice work Steve. I like the variation in color and how its NOT overpowering. That effect really works with the special finial.

I sure hope Robin takes a group photo before the auction. Its going to be a great collection.

Bernie Weishapl
09-07-2011, 11:02 PM
Beautiful piece Steve. Good luck Steve and I hope it raises a lot.

Greg Just
09-07-2011, 11:11 PM
Very nice -I hope it raises a lot of money for this worthy cause.

Jon Nuckles
09-07-2011, 11:50 PM
Steve,

It is an honor to be chosen and generous of you to step up to the plate with your time for a good cause. Lovely piece as well.

Jon

Bill Bolen
09-07-2011, 11:57 PM
Outstanding piece Steve. Love the subtle colors and that finial is an original "icing on the cake". I know you felt honored to be asked to donate your time and effort and I'm willing to bet the foundation is honored to receive your efforts. Hope it makes a ton of dough for them.

charlie knighton
09-08-2011, 1:04 AM
very nice, the donation will be appreciated

Rick Markham
09-08-2011, 1:26 AM
This is super nice Steve, I love the form and finial, the color is snazzy too. I hope it brings some good money for the foundation. It is certainly one to be proud of!

John Keeton
09-08-2011, 6:58 AM
Steve, I will have to admit - you guys in the UP certainly have some nice maple!! Must be the "lake effect"!!:D Great job on the color for this one - lot of subtle variations, and the finial is a very nice touch. So different than most - and, that is what makes it special. Good contrast in form, texture and color.

I actually think this form, and the color, are one of the best you have done. It has perfect "lift" at the opening and such nice, soft lines.

Michelle Rich
09-08-2011, 7:14 AM
very cool finial It oughta raise BIG MONEY....

Alan Trout
09-08-2011, 8:53 AM
A great piece for a great cause.

Alan

Tim Rinehart
09-08-2011, 9:01 AM
Beautiful piece Steve. I like the subtleness of the coloring, there's something about it that reminds me of an animals' coat too...which is cool. I didn't realize how the sanding affects the penetration of the dye, but it makes sense...I'll have to store that for later.
Wonderful cause and we all hope it brings lots of cash to the foundation. I'm sure the lucky winner of the auction will love this piece.

Curt Fuller
09-08-2011, 6:29 PM
Very, very nice Steve! I love the finial.

Steve Vaughan
09-08-2011, 6:43 PM
Wow, that is really beautiful! I know it's gonna do very well and will be greatly appreciated!

Baxter Smith
09-08-2011, 9:23 PM
Great color in that maple and the frosted finial really tops it off! I am sure it will do well!

Joe Meirhaeghe
09-08-2011, 9:35 PM
Steve I congratulate you for donating to such a great cause. And such a nice piece too,hope it sells well for the foundation.

Steve Schlumpf
09-09-2011, 5:32 PM
Thanks for the kind words everyone - I sure appreciate it!

Robin is busy putting together the auction and hopes to get everything online at some point so we can view the other turnings. When he gets that up and running - I'll add a link because I think it is going to be something to see!

David DeCristoforo
09-09-2011, 6:22 PM
Ya know, Steve, I've been looking at this for days and I think it just might be the best piece of yours I have ever seen.

Steve Schlumpf
09-09-2011, 6:24 PM
Thank you David - your opinion means a lot more to me than you realize!