PDA

View Full Version : Bowl Gouge Sharpening Question

Joe Vincent 63
09-07-2011, 8:37 PM
I am currently working on a fingernail grind on a bowl gouge (first on my own), but am getting little "notches" cut into the top edge of the finger nail grind. The overall grind looks pretty much like it should, but I am assuming these notches are due to my grinding those spots longer than the rest of the top edge?

Thanks for any advice or critiques!

Joe

Steve Kubien
09-07-2011, 8:42 PM
I believe you are spending too much time grinding near the tip. In his book, David Ellsworth suggests starting your grind with the wing then rotating the tool towards the tip. Go to the other side and do the same. What you end up doing is just kissing the tip area very softly and quickly. Good luck.

David E Keller
09-07-2011, 9:18 PM
I agree that you are grinding away more steel in one area than another... In order to fix that, I think you'll need to bring the tip back to the wings... essentially grind away then area from the tip to the divot in the edge. I do as Steve suggested using the varigrind jig.

Harry Robinette
09-07-2011, 10:04 PM
Joe
Something you might wont to check out is Doug T's web site.I think by what I'm seeing your vari-grind might be out of adjustment a little looks like the wings are being turned in.
Just my $.02

Bob Wolfe
09-07-2011, 10:58 PM
Joe, Here's a link to a youtube video that I think you will find very helpful to you. He gives a good explanation not only what he is doing but why. Sometimes knowing why puts everything in better perspective. Good Luck.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M9G16ylEZHQ&feature=mfu_in_order&list=UL

Cory Norgart
09-08-2011, 8:42 AM
Joe
Something you might wont to check out is Doug T's web site.I think by what I'm seeing your vari-grind might be out of adjustment a little looks like the wings are being turned in.
Just my $.02

I agree Harry, I ran across a similar problem not long ago. Make sure your vari-grind is set to second notch from the bottom. this wil give you more of atraditional grind (45 degree) . I had to watch the one-way video three times to figure that out:)

Tim Rinehart
09-08-2011, 8:53 AM
Joe,
One other thing can cause the little dips in your edge. Check the profile on the inside of the gouge (the concave part) and make sure it is smooth with no depressions. A bad grind on the inside of the flute will translate to edge defects like you show on the pic on the right.
Also...be sure you have your grinding wheel dressed and concentric so the tool doesn't bounce while grinding.
And lastly...what everyone else said also!