PDA

View Full Version : Request: Your List of Shop Rules

Paul Thompson
02-23-2005, 6:11 PM
I got a lot of good input via my Mechanix glove thread (http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=17163) concerning glove safety. It occurs to me that it would be nice to hear more about the standard shop rules that Creekers follow. I did some searching on the Creek, and couldn't find any prior threads where lists were made all in one place, so I thought it would be good to start one.

Please post their lists here! Comment on other people's lists. Let's contribute to the shop safety for those around us by putting that together hear. Just think - you could be saving someones life, appendage, etc. :)

If the idea of this thread works, I will put together a final post bringing together the core ideas, with a link to the original thread. I'd call it Shop Rules for the Safety Concious Creeker.

Thank you for your time and patience.

Ed Lang
02-23-2005, 6:19 PM
Now remember I have a wife and 9 year old son using the shop too.

1) No running
2) Must have shoes on and not open toes
3) No drink cups or cans near any cast iron! Keep them at the sink.
4) Are you rested and awake? If not, LEAVE now while you still can.
5) No loose fitting shirt or sleeves.
6) Know each machine before using it.
7) Ask permission first (doesn't apply to my wife)
8) NO NOT LEND ANYTHING.
9) Always do your best! (taken from Cub Scouts)
10) Clean up your mess, the maid was fired.
11) Eye protection

Ray Bersch
02-23-2005, 6:30 PM
To Ed's list I would add "Hearing Protection" 'cause mine is already shot.
Also, I have a master switch for machine outlets - it goes off everytime I leave the shop (er, garage) and lastly - check fingers - I check to see where my fingers really are before every cut, or movement with a machine. So far, I still have ten and plan on keeping it that way.
One more thing, put it back where you found it - it is a pleasure to be able to put your hands on a tool when you want it rather than searching through saw dust and cutoffs -

Larry Crim
02-23-2005, 6:36 PM
Same as above with the following iron clad rule, If you have had anything alcoholic to drink don't even open the door.

Tim Morton
02-23-2005, 6:54 PM
Same as above with the following iron clad rule, If you have had anything alcoholic to drink don't even open the door.

As i sit here sipping on a "I'm on vacation, as of tonight" sized manhattan...thats my main rule too. I won't turn on a tool if i've even had a beer.

Mike Tempel
02-23-2005, 7:00 PM
I like others demand eye protection from ANYONE who enters, no alcohol, hearing protection, respiratory protection if warranted, closed toed shoes are a must, wear comfortable clothing, preferrably short sleeves weather permitting, if it ain't being used unplug it, etc. etc.

In addition to what has already been said here are a few that I like to remind my neighbors, friends, and some relatives for their own personal well being. These are especially important to all who enter my shop so pay attention and I won't mind if you need to copy any or all of them to suit your needs. In order of importance as follows:
1. Don't ask to borrow any tools.
2. Don't ask to borrow my truck.
3. Don't ask to borrow my wife.

That pretty much sums it up in Garage Mahal.

Ian Barley
02-23-2005, 7:31 PM
Good thread Paul - I suspect that we can all learn good stuff from this.

These are my first thoughts in no particular order

1 - Don't work tired
2 - Use as much safety equipment as you can without interfering with the job in hand
3 - Keep tools in good condition and blades and edges sharp
4 - If it feels wrong it is wrong
5 - Rehearse - Think things through before you do them - like a golfer visualizing his tee shot
6 - Stop work for the day after the second stupid mistake in half an hour - the third one will cost you an injury
7- If a task is hard work or difficult there is a better way to do it. Stop and think before you start working hard
8 - The safety devices on tools are there for a reason. If you remove one make it because you are fitting a better alternative rather than because the first one gets your goat. If you have to remove one to complete the task make doubly sure that you are careful and replace it as soon as the task is done.
9 - Don't work hungry. Low blood sugar reduces alertness. A snack stop might be the difference.
10 - Everything has width - when your measuring or making a cutting list bear that in mind
11 - Make the jig. If you have to do something more than once the time taken to make an appropriate jig will nearly always be paid back in spades.
12 - No alcohol - at all - not even one
13 - Don't get mad. If you make a mistake force yourself to a wry smile rather than a fit of pique. Angry will hurt you every time.
14 - Project the cut line. Whatever you are doing be aware of where your body is in relation to the cut line and wherever possible stay clear of it.

I am always aware that my perspective as somebody who usually does this full time is different to somebody who does it for fun at the weekend. Most of the above are pretty much applicable for both groups.

Brian Hale
02-23-2005, 7:32 PM
The big one around here is..... Never ever ever talk to, touch or in any other way try to get my attention if i'm using any tools.

Brian

Jim Dunn
02-23-2005, 7:40 PM
"Let's take a minute to talk about shop safety" I just listen to Norm and repeat them in my head every few minutes:)

Bob Noles
02-23-2005, 7:45 PM
Only 2 main rules in my shop

1. Be alert at all times.

2. Be organized at all times.

All other rules can be categorized under one of these 2 rules.

Andy London
02-23-2005, 8:51 PM
The only thing I can add is

No smoking in the shop, last thing I want is my shop going up in smoke.

DC must be on when the tool is started (son works with me a lot)

Clean up and put the tools back where you found something.

Break something and you either bought it or you will replace it. It's rare...next to never...that I allow anyone to work in the shop, but a few times I have let WW's come in to use tools they do not have.

Mark Singer
02-23-2005, 8:59 PM
Do not tuch exposed wires with your tongue.

No using hot dogs on the table saw.

No loose or tight clothing

Do not cover your neighbor's work piece

No running in the halls and slaming lockers.

Do not put chewing gum on the bottom of tables.(only on top where it can be clearly seen)

No empty beer cans or full for that matter or the other mater

Dexter is not to use the belt sander or the planer...he can only use the bandsaw and jointer.

No Pizza on the tablesaw (this is a pretty new one...I was not aware of this one until a few days ago...please forgive me)

clean the floor to make it less slippery and remove long pieces of wood that will cause tripping

No silly posts on SMC:cool:

Dan Mages
02-23-2005, 9:03 PM
So far there are a lot of good rules. Here are some of my adaptations.

1. There are guards on the tools for a reason. Don't even think of taking them off unless you are changing a blade or performing maintenance.
2. Safety glasses are to be worn at all times, even when the tools are off.
3. The shop shuts down at 6:30 pm, no exceptions.
4. If I am kind enough to lend you my tools, I expect them to come back the way I gave them to you.

Dan

Dan Mages
02-23-2005, 9:19 PM
No using hot dogs on the table saw.

There has to be a story behind this...

Dan

Jim Becker
02-23-2005, 9:31 PM
I would say that most of these are on my "unwritting" shop rules. The one that I enforce without question is eye protection is manditory for anyone in the shop...and mine go on at the beginning and don't come off until I'm done for the day...which is good because they also are my "cheaters" for close work. But the rule applies to everyone unless it's just a tour and conversation. If tools are in use...the specs go on and I have plenty of them available.

One of these days I'll have to develop more formal rules once we have kids...

I do like that "no hotdog on the table saw" rule, however...works for me!! ;)

Paul Thompson
02-23-2005, 9:35 PM
No using hot dogs on the table saw. There has to be a story behind this...

Dan
The sawstop (http://www.sawstop.com/video.htm), of course. :)

Frank Pellow
02-23-2005, 9:46 PM
There has to be a story behind this...

Dan
Dan, it is a dig at the Saw Stop table saw.

Frank Pellow
02-23-2005, 9:48 PM
1) Wear safety glasses when operating equipment (in my case, I have prescription safety glasses).

2) Wear earmuffs when operating loud equipment (anything louder than my battery powered drill).

3)Wear heavy toed (steel or, at least, hard leather) shoes when working with heavy objects.

4) Unplug every tool after using it.

5) Wear short sleeves when operating equipment.

6) Put away every tool or object after it has been used.

7) Put away 5 things every morning when I enter the shop (that's because I am not as good as I should be with rule 6).

8) Measure twice, cut once.

9) Stop and think before any operation with the more dangerous equipment (e.g. table saw and jointer). A big part of this is to think through when and how to use safety devices such as push sticks. This rule applies even if this is a repetitive operation -that's when I have found myself getting careless in the past.

10) Always be thinking about better ways to do things and better ways to set up the shop.

Jeff Sudmeier
02-23-2005, 10:09 PM
I would agree with everything stated, my main rules are:

1) Arms naked from the elbow down
2) No gloves at the machines (I cheat at the jointer and planer, but we covered that)
3) No machines w/o eye glasses
4) Put in the ear plugs
5) This is for Loml, don't sneak up on me, I will shut off the machine soon enough :)

Jeff

Jim Dunn
02-23-2005, 10:28 PM
Frank that's not a dig at the saw stop, it's meant to keep the greasy spots off the top of the saw. Also to keep the dog from jumping up there:)

David Fried
02-23-2005, 11:45 PM
I second all the above. Even the hot dog. My tools are being hardwired into wall mounted shutoff boxes with padlocks on the switches. Before you leave the shop everything must have the power disconnected on the wall and be locked. Kids are too curious sometimes.

As a note, I decided to do just one more thing the other night. I'm happy to report I left the shop with ten fingers and just ruined a piece of wood. :eek:I think I've stopped shaking now. Sometimes it's hard to realize your too tired. I'm moving that one to the top of my list in all caps.

Bill Arnold
02-24-2005, 7:10 AM
After your hearing and eye protection is in place, plan every move.

Bill Lewis
02-24-2005, 7:46 AM
..... Never ever ever talk to, touch or in any other way try to get my attention if i'm using any tools.
BrianMy old shop was out in a detached garage and I rarely ever was bothered or distracted. The new shop is in the basement, and my wife has on more than one occasion pushed the limits of the above rule. I'm going to have to start locking the doors, and closing the blinds.

Ron Robinson
02-24-2005, 8:12 AM
Great thread with outstanding results so far. I think all the major "rules" have been covered.

My only close call in the shop came from ripping thin strips on the table saw. I had one come flying back at me and had I been in the way I would have taken in the gut. (I do have a slightly oversized gut due to consumption of certain beverages, but it still would of hurt.) When I thought about what happened I came to two conclusions. I was tired and I had not thougt about the cut. So ever since I leave if I'm not at my most alert, and I visualize and practice new or difficult cuts on all machines.

Ron

PS

Is bratwurst OK for the table saw?

Aaron Montgomery
02-24-2005, 8:53 AM
I'm the only one that uses my shop so my rules apply mostly to myself.

1. My shop, my rules.
2. Hearing protection when running machines.
3. Eye protection when appropriate.
4. Alcohol (2 beer maximum) limits you to unpowered cleaning activities. (Shop vac & shop air excluded)
5. Alcohol (More than 2) limits you to admiration of tools. (look but don't touch)
5. Music of MY choice.
6. It's time to leave the shop when your tired.
7. No drinks on the cast iron!

Andy Henriksen
02-24-2005, 9:08 AM
I don't have a DC system (yet), so if I'm using a saw, router, or especially sander, I will wear a cheapo dust mask. My problem is trying to wear the mask and safety glasses, because inevitably, my glasses get fogged up, which is probably not too safe. Any suggestions? I only have about 6-8 hrs of shoptime/week (including non-dusty activities), mind you too, so my exposure is somewhat limited.

Otherwise, I ALWAYS wear hearing protection for anything louder than a drill. The stupid thing is I also play in a rock band, and never wear ear plugs, because I can't hear myself to tell if I'm in tune, too loud, etc.

Kelly C. Hanna
02-24-2005, 9:12 AM
I don't have a written list as it gets changed for different people who might be in the shop. Lamar doesn't have to be told anything, he's had a working shop for longer than I have in his own garage and he uses his common sense.

There are people in the car club who know about shop etiquette when we're working on the trucks (no beer on the jointer or tablesaw surface, no empty beer cans in the dust collector, even if it does look like a trash can after 6 beers, etc).

For the wife there's only one....never ever talk to me or try to get my attention when I am using ANY tool....even a sander. She must wait until all tools are off and spun down before saying anything.

Ray Bersch
02-24-2005, 10:13 AM
I don't have a DC system (yet), so if I'm using a saw, router, or especially sander, I will wear a cheapo dust mask. My problem is trying to wear the mask and safety glasses, because inevitably, my glasses get fogged up, which is probably not too safe. Any suggestions?.
Andy, I use a full face shield rather than safety glasses. I found it more comfortable and eliminates the fogging problem, I can easily lift the shield out of the way and it has become second nature to me. I also wear full ear muffs as hearing protection and a dust mask as required - add to that my full beard, and I look pretty scary.

I have a wire hanging from my garage door opener (a garage workshop) and I hang both the face shield and ear muffs from this so it is within easy reach.
Ray

Dan Gill
02-24-2005, 10:58 AM
Well, my shop is my garage, the place where wet dogs go to dry, and my laundry room, not to mention a storage area that is mostly closed off from the rest. So the rules are subject to change based on use.

One that I insist on is, "Do not honk the horn or sneak up on me." I had my wife pull up in the drive while I was at the table saw with earmuffs on and honk the horn once. After peeling myself off the ceiling I took about a dozen deep breaths to calm down and politely told he she should never do that unless she relished taking me to the emergency room. 'Nuff said. I had to repeat that with my daughter once, but so far only once.

The other rule, which my retriever frequently breaks, is, "Don't pee on things." So far everyone else in the family has abided by that one . . . :rolleyes:

Randy Moore
02-24-2005, 11:14 AM
I have only one more rule that is in my shop.

NO SMOKING.
Someone might miss an ashtray or use something that is not an ashtray. My shop is in the basement.

Randy

Ken Salisbury
02-24-2005, 11:29 AM
Everything that has been said already with some additions:

Place a sign on your shop door with the following:

"If you value your life as much as I value what is in this shop, you won't xxxx with it."

http://www.oldrebelworkshop.com/readytofight.gif

Do not work in the dark.
Do not drink paint or lacquer thinner.
Use material at least the length/width of the desired result.
Install BS blades with the teeth facing front.
Do not use a drill bit larger than the desired hole.
When using spray cans make sure little hole is facing away from you.
Do not smoke while wearing a face shield.
Wear shop apron on front.

http://www.oldrebelworkshop.com/smiley2.gif

Jim Becker
02-24-2005, 11:34 AM

NO SMOKING.
Someone might miss an ashtray or use something that is not an ashtray. My shop is in the basement.
That's not just a shop rule for me...it applies anywhere in my presence! But yes, it's important in the shop environment for more than just personal health reasons...

Jerry Olexa
02-24-2005, 11:36 AM
Today is a rushed day so haven't read all the posts but I will add: Now that I'm older, I try to ALWAYS clean up (sweep etc, run air cleaner) before I leave the shop. When I was younger, I often left a mess. (Still do once in a while:D ). Also, trying harder now to be more safety conscious!

Mark Singer
02-24-2005, 11:42 AM
Thanks Jerry! I must be younger!
Today is a rushed day so haven't read all the posts but I will add: Now that I'm older, I try to ALWAYS clean up (sweep etc, run air cleaner) before I leave the shop. When I was younger, I often left a mess. (Still do once in a while:D ). Also, trying harder now to be more safety conscious!

Ken Salisbury
02-24-2005, 11:49 AM
Thanks Jerry! I must be younger!

ME TOO: http://www.oldrebelworkshop.com/hermit.jpg

Lee Schierer
02-24-2005, 11:56 AM
In addition to the ones already mentioned, I would add:

My shop, my rules, if you don't like my rules go use your own shop.

Mark Singer
02-24-2005, 12:05 PM
let me add one that should get no argument....

"The Shop Rules!"

Jeff Sudmeier
02-24-2005, 12:15 PM
Originally Posted by Randy Moore

NO SMOKING.

That's not just a shop rule for me...it applies anywhere in my presence! But yes, it's important in the shop environment for more than just personal health reasons...

I forgot this rule as well! A neighbor ONCE and I do mean ONCE dropped a cigarette on my shop floor when he was done and used his foot to put it out. I said how would you like me to do that on your kitchen floor!! He doesn't smoke in the shop anymore :)

Frank Pellow
02-24-2005, 12:27 PM

NO SMOKING.

Randy
That is such an obviuos rule (everywhere, not just in my shop) that I did not even both to state it. Seriously, I seldom encounter smoking anywhere these days. :) :)

Tom Saurer
02-24-2005, 12:58 PM
With so many posts to this I'm not sure if these have been added...

1. No power tools used when kids are in the shop. They don't know them and respect them.
2. If you're not using a tool, it gets unplugged.
3. If you're working on a tool; ie changing a bit, it gets unplugged.
4. Consider all chisels and planes to be razor sharp and treat them as such.
5. Keep the floor clean and free of clutter.
6. All tools are to be used for their intended use only, except for the maroon handled, crooked, flathead screwdriver. It can be used for anything.

Frank Pellow
02-24-2005, 1:07 PM
With so many posts to this I'm not sure if these have been added...

1. No power tools used when kids are in the shop. They don't know them and respect them.
2. If you're not using a tool, it gets unplugged.
3. If you're working on a tool; ie changing a bit, it gets unplugged.
4. Consider all chisels and planes to be razor sharp and treat them as such.
5. Keep the floor clean and free of clutter.
6. All tools are to be used for their intended use only, except for the maroon handled, crooked, flathead screwdriver. It can be used for anything.
I like rule 6. Except that mine has a grey handle.

I dispute your rule 1. I think that children should see power tools in use (while wearing earmuffs, of course) and observe proper use of those tools. At the age of about 6, I believe that responsible chilren should be allowed to use some of the safer power tools under supervision. Two of the safer power tools that I would encourage children to use are a battery powered dril and a scroll saw.

Chris DeHut
02-24-2005, 2:09 PM
My Primary rule is

DON'T BE STUPID!

Fairly basic, but it sort of sums up everything and helps to keep me on my toes. Woodworking is dangerous enough, now add to that, the distractions of...

Thinking what to say to the camera
Talking to the camera
Making sure the audio level is correct
Making sure the view on camera is what I want the audience to see
Making sure the lighting is good and there are no hot spots
Making sure I make the part right (the ones filmed are the ones that end up in the finished project, especially considering I never make a mistake ;) )
Thinking through "is the simpliest way to do this"
Thinking through "is this a safe way to do this"
Thinking through "did I explain that in the simplest way with the fewest words"
Thinking, man, this story is going to be 5 hours long, I have to edit some of this talk out
Thinking back in time, "Did I just show this technique, or is there another way this can be done we can show"

Then there are all the other distractions that come with running a business.

So things get very hairy out there for us while filming and distractions abound. To maintain a high level of focus, I enter the shop area with "DO BE STUPID" running through my head and it helps. I guess it also helps to remind me that, while out there, I have to focus on the job(s) at hand, and to leave everything else back in the office.

Chris

Jeff Sudmeier
02-24-2005, 4:36 PM
I like rule 6. Except that mine has a grey handle.

I dispute your rule 1. I think that children should see power tools in use (while wearing earmuffs, of course) and observe proper use of those tools. At the age of about 6, I believe that responsible chilren should be allowed to use some of the safer power tools under supervision. Two of the safer power tools that I would encourage children to use are a battery powered dril and a scroll saw.

Frank I agree with you. Children do need to know and respect the tools. If they are not interested in the shop, don't force them, but if they are, letting them use the safer tools, with supervision will increase their respect of the tools. All children should be taught that tools do not get used without parental supervision.

Terre Hooks
02-24-2005, 4:59 PM
1. Don't bring any M&Ms in here unless you brought me a bag.
2. Don't whine about me having more clamps than you.
3. Leave your cigarettes in your car. I don't track mud in your house.
4. Stay outta my fridge unless you are putting your beverages in there.
5. Throw your trash away. I do not collect taxes from you for sanitation.
6. Nope, you can't borrow anything, everything is broke.
7. Don't lean up against my jointer.
8. Don't set your junk down on top of my junk.
9. No, you can't use my tire pressure gauge to check the air in your worn out tires on that Dodge.
10. No, you can't operate a cabinet saw in your tool shed on an extension cord.

;)

Sam Chambers
02-24-2005, 7:53 PM
Not necessarily in order:

1. Safety first, including wearing safety glasses at all times, keeping the guards on the machines, unplug the power tools before fixing, adjusting or reloading.
2. No power tools after 9:00 p.m., even if I'm not feeling tired.
3. No power tools if I'm tired, even if it's before 9:00 p.m..
4. No shop time after alcohol consumption.
5. Junior is not permitted in the shop without me there. Period.
6. When junior is in the shop, no running, skipping, hopping, tossing, throwing, spinning, roughhousing or tomfoolery is allowed, or he has to go back upstairs.
7. Don't sneak up on me. Ever. (This applies not only to the shop, but to life in general.)
8. No loose clothing, long sleeves or gloves around any power tools.
9. Nothing that's wet, or could potentially become wet, comes near the cast iron stuff.
10. If I have to rush to finish something, that means there's not enough time for the task, and I'm more likely to make mistakes. So, save it for another time.
11. Use the dust collector and/or shop vac.
12. Use the right tool for the job.
13. Dull tools are more dangerous than sharp tools.
14. Sharp, spinning blades and bits win over flesh and bone every time. So, keep all body parts away from sharp spinning things.

Mike Cutler
02-24-2005, 8:13 PM
All great rules! I have one that I live by.I call it the "3 Strike rule".Three mistakes of any kind and it's time to call it quits. My other rule is don't place a coffee cup where I can't see it or find it, I do this enough by myself, and don't need someone else adding to the mess ;)

What is it with Mark and his pizza???? :p I'm thinking if he could somehow send me empanada's or maybe some taquito's, I'd send him some pizza from Pepe's or Sally's in New Haven. (Sinatra's favorite pizza). I could also pull some pots and trade lobsters for fresh tangerines and avocado's. It might help with the top of his tablesaw. :eek: