PDA

View Full Version : KissCut problem

Jan Devera
09-07-2011, 12:49 PM
Hi all,
I have the following problem:
On my Epilog mini (which works perfectly otherwise), when I try to cut stickers (only kiss cut) with low laserpower, lines are not connected in curves. When i use classic cut with laser is everything OK. Tried different setting speed and amplitude but without much success...

Any ideas how to set it correctly, or is this some kind of limitation (but then its weird because straight lines works great with kiss cut.....

thanks

Dan Hintz
09-07-2011, 1:12 PM
Try an experiment... try kiss-cutting a circle of roughly the same size. Is there a single spot that doesn't cut on the circle? Is it right at the one control node for the circle?

I'm thinking it's one of two possibilities:
1) The connection between the line and arc is a problem... one (temporary) solution would be to extend the line a smidge.
2) The automatic change in speed/power for arcs is being calculated incorrectly right at the extents of the arc... not much you can do about that hope for a driver update.

Mike Null
09-07-2011, 1:19 PM
If you are using CorelDraw enlarge your rectangle and see if it is connected in the drawing. If not use the join curves tool.

If that isn't it try increasing your PPI/Hertz setting or whatever it's called on your machine. PPI not DPI.

Michael Kowalczyk
09-07-2011, 1:28 PM
I'm thinking it's one of two possibilities:
1) The connection between the line and arc is a problem... one (temporary) solution would be to extend the line a smidge.

Hey Dan,
Every time I put "smidge" in as an input for a numerical input, it has an error.:confused:
Smidge in smidge out...:D

Michael Hunter
09-07-2011, 1:39 PM
My Epilog does the same thing.
It never did small kiss-cut arcs/radii absolutely perfectly and now the tube is ageing it is getting much worse.

It does help to drop the speed below 20% (apparently a different algorythm is used for slow curves), but this makes the power setting tricky.

Jan Devera
09-07-2011, 1:43 PM
I was afraid that it will be limitations on the Epilog machine. It's a shame because I think it would go some way to adjust the driver, with some overlaps settings in epilog driver.... :(

john passek
09-07-2011, 8:06 PM
Hi Jan
What wattage is your laser and what settings are you using.
I kiss cut 1 1/2 " discs and business cards .in econoflex ( thicker than laser thins) all the time with no problem.
I use 100% speed, 25% power and 500 PPI on a 50 watt mini.
Hope you can get it working soon.

Chuck Stone
09-07-2011, 10:46 PM
Smidge in

is that a contraction for 'smooshed pidgeon' ?

David Fairfield
09-08-2011, 9:07 AM
I don't experience this problem. Precise curves are best done at slow speeds on the Epilog, it eliminates the tremors. So sometimes I will disconnect curves from the straight line paths, give them a different color and assign them a slower speed using color mapping.

I have never experienced a broken curve as you describe, at any speed or power setting. However, if your machine is giving you trouble with curves, perhaps you can try replacing the curved corners with a section of straight line, multi sided polygon and see what happens? If all you have is a single break, you can also try overlapping the line slightly where the break occurs.

HTH
Dave

Michael Perrault
09-08-2011, 10:51 AM
I too have this problem with my Epilog Legend 32EX. I believe it to be a limitation of the machine. It does not have "first pulse suppression" or good regulation of the output power therefore some laser firing is too strong and some non-existent particularly when attempting to use a low percentage of the laser power. Mine sputters when trying to use say 3-4% power. A lower power laser run at a higher percentage would be more predicable.
Epilog recommends using a speed <35 but it only mitigates a known weakness.

Jan Devera
09-08-2011, 11:43 AM
I have Epilog Zing 40W
this test was done on 90% speed....

Did another test today with 30% and corners are better, thanks

Speed bellow 20% works really much nicer in corners, thanks for tip

Michael Kowalczyk
09-08-2011, 12:29 PM
Depends on what time of the day you ask.