PDA

View Full Version : Question for the Cooks on a cookware issue

Matt Meiser
09-07-2011, 12:13 PM
We bought several Calphalon One non-stick pots and pans a few+ years ago. Last year our 8 qt stock pot had the non-stick coating start coming off and it appeared that the aluminum underneath was bubbling up from corrosion, even in places where the coating was intact. Calphalon replaced it but the non-stick Calphalon One was discontinued so they sent us a hard anodized version. In less than a year, the anodizing is pretty much gone on the bottom and starting to come off the sizes. The bottom is rough and that causes stuff to stick and burn. We don't have any problems with the other pots. other than some scratches here and there.

Mostly we use this pot for stuff like chili, large batches of spaghetti sauce, and boiling noodles. Sounds like the chili and spaghetti sauce are the culprits in this failure according to Calphalon. They "shouldn't" have cause the first failure on the non-stick. And I also make smaller single-meal batches of spaghetti sauce in one of our smaller pots without trouble. They don't say you shouldn't use the anodized pans for that and they are going to cover it under warranty. They don't make Calphalon One anymore so they gave me three choices for replacement.

First is another hard anodized pot from the commercial series but it is 2qt smaller. The smaller size would be a problem and she agreed we'd probably have the same problem given our use.
Second is an 8qt non-stick from their Unison line with the "latest technology."
Third is an 8qt from their Tri-Ply Stainless line.

Any recommendations?

Conrad Fiore
09-07-2011, 12:50 PM
Matt,
If you are making large pots of acid base sauces and just boiling water, I'd go with the SS. I don't see any advantage of a trick non-stick finish for your use. If you get a little sticking on the bottom of the pot, clean it the old fashioned way with a bit of elbow grease, you won't ever rub off the SS. I have taken stock pots of SS that have been burned black on the inside and brought them back to new looking. Just boiled water in them for an hour and then went to work with a light scrubbing to clean them out. The Tri-Ply should give you the advantage of SS with the added heat conduction of the aluminum.

Steve DiMasi
09-07-2011, 4:38 PM
I have a whole set of the Tri-Ply and I love them. They conduct heat so well, when I boil water it bubbles from the sides of the pot, not just the bottom. I got them the day I switched to gas, so your milage may vary for electric but I doubt it.

I only have one non-stick pan for eggs and it gets babied. As tough as hard-anodizing is, it is still pretty much a coating and will eventually wear. I've had the SS set for almost 4 years and they still look brand new, but the hard-anodized pan of the same age shows wear. Not peeling, but it's no longer slippery and its shiny cooking surface is now dull.

One warning about the Tri_Ply: they recommend against using non-stick spray oil such as Pam. It won't hurt the performance, but it can stain the SS. I just rub a little oil on the pan before I cook something with the potential to stick.

Matt Meiser
09-07-2011, 4:42 PM
We've got gas and don't use sprays so we should be in good shape. Just need to box it up and send it off. Which is dumb, because the address I have to send it to is physical address 10 miles from my house. I could run and drop it off quicker than boxing it, printing a label, etc. But they don't allow drop offs.

Eric DeSilva
09-07-2011, 5:11 PM
Another vote for SS. For stock pots/sauce pans, I switched from Calphalon's hard anodized to SS years ago, and like the SS better. At the same time, the only "non-stick" anything I've got is the insert for my slow cooker. I was told that nonstick coatings tend to off gas nasty stuff at higher temperatures, and find that well-seasoned cast iron works as well, or better, than any nonstick surfaces I've come across.

Jim Koepke
09-07-2011, 5:13 PM
I could run and drop it off quicker than boxing it, printing a label, etc. But they don't allow drop offs.

Dress up like a package delivery person and don't forget the clipboard for the signature.

None of my cast Iron pans has lost their coating.

One of my enameled pots is almost 40 years old and the bottom is kind of wearing through. My understanding is it is still covered by warrantee.

jtk

David G Baker
09-07-2011, 5:38 PM
We went back to cast iron for many of our pots and pans. We do have a few non stick coated pans but they never go into the dishwasher and we always use Pam prior to cooking with it. We also have a few favorite SS pans that have the thick aluminum bottoms on them. We have gone through three sets of different brands of the non stick pans and every set lost a lot of its coating after a few years.

dave toney
09-07-2011, 7:51 PM
All I will use is stainless steel or cast iron.
Cast iron is non stick when well seasoned and is a great frying pan.
Good stainless steel pots and pans for boiling and simmering.
I have some cast iron pans that must be 60 plus years old.
I tend to believe that aluminum is not something healthy to ingest, along with most chemical coatings, but that is just my opinion.

Rod Sheridan
09-07-2011, 8:00 PM
Matt, I'm with Dave Toney on this, we only have sandwich construction SS/copper pots and pans or a few cast iron pans.

We paid a fortune for the SS pans 30 years ago, and they look and work as well as they did when new. Kind of like buying good tools, do it once, it's less expensive that way......Rod.

Matt Meiser
09-07-2011, 9:15 PM
Well, luckily we don't have to invest anymore in this (other than the cost of mailing it 10 miles) but I don't want to keep having them replace it every few years either.

Except for eggs, my favorite frying pan is the cast iron one. Its probably even seasoned enough for eggs now--haven't tried in a while.

Mike Henderson
09-07-2011, 9:23 PM
To clean a burned on SS pan, put a small amount of water into the pan, enough to cover the burned area. Then add powdered dishwasher soap and let it simmer for a while. It'll take the burn off pretty well.

If that doesn't get all of it, take a bit of sandpaper and sand the burned area. It always cleans up with that.

Mike

David Weaver
09-07-2011, 9:55 PM
US made cast iron, All Clad and for stuff that goes in the oven only, glassware.

We used to get pans with coatings, etc, but I've never been that excited about how they work. We've also gotten some calphalon stuff, also not excited about it, and I gather they're phasing out good quality stuff with import junk as time goes on.

it doesn't take long to learn to work with all clad (it's expensive, though, but it's so evenly heated and so hard to screw up what you're cooking that I don't care, and it's a local brand here where few parts are foreign - lids last time I looked) and seasoned cast (even better, because it's cheap).

For a long time I avoided buying all clad because of the price, and got some of the clad bottom only (thin walled, etc). It is not comparable in the results you get cooking - most notably in how much less you burn food that has cladding all the way around, sides and bottom instead of just bottom. I buy all of my all-clad piece by piece on ebay, though, you can usually find it about half price there. Figure their retail price is for places like williams and sonoma, and I try to avoid pretentious retailers.

Eric Franklin
09-08-2011, 7:10 AM
I've started switching to the All-Clad d5 series which is exclusive to Williams Sonoma. They are expensive but I buy a piece that I want when they are on-sale. The best way I have found to clean SS pans is to use the powder form of Bar Keepers Friend.

Marty Paulus
09-08-2011, 7:30 AM
I have a couple of non stick pans. One is a 10" that I baby for doing egss and such. The others are used by the kid for cooking so you can guess how they look. The rest are SS. My wife makes spaghetti sauce a couple of times a year and I make beer so we invested in a 60qt SS pot. It has a laminated or layered bottom and conducts the heat very well and does not burn her sauce like the old cheap (thin bottom) pot we used to use. As for cleaning I use Barkeepers friend. I have the liquid right now but have used the powder as well. The pots and pans look as good as the day they were taken out of the package. My cast iron doesn't get used as much as I want but that is because the wife isn't used to cooking with it.

Bottom line is I would go for the SS version. If you watch any of the cooking shows they rarely use non stick. In fact the only time I can think of the chefs using non stick is to make fried eggs and then they actually recommend an inexpensive teflon coated aluminum pan.

Lee Schierer
09-08-2011, 12:12 PM
Try Farberware aluminum clad stainless pots. Ours are 40+ years old and still going strong.

Dave Gaul
09-09-2011, 8:51 AM
I'd go for the SS Matt. Every kitchen should have a SS Stock Pot.

Matt Meiser
09-09-2011, 9:05 AM
Try Farberware aluminum clad stainless pots. Ours are 40+ years old and still going strong.

That's what my parents have too. We have one larger pot my mom gave us. But the newer stuff seems much thinner than theirs so we had gone with the Calphalon stuff.

John Coloccia
09-09-2011, 9:09 AM
I'm slowly switching everything over to SS. I'mm probably end up keeping a couple of my Calphalons for things like omelets and other tasks like that. The problem, of course, is that they're not really non-stick anymore. It happens with all non-stick pans after a while. I will probably never buy a good non-stick pan again. Expensive pans for SS and cast....cheap, IKEA pans for non-stick. When they stop working in a couple of years, I won't cry too much to just replace it.

And incidentally, IKEA actually does make some decent pans.

Matt Meiser
09-09-2011, 9:13 AM
John, if you have lifetime-warranty non-stock it might be worth a call to them. They seem to be willing to stand behind that without too much drama.

John Coloccia
09-09-2011, 9:22 AM
John, if you have lifetime-warranty non-stock it might be worth a call to them. They seem to be willing to stand behind that without too much drama.

My closest IKEA is 1 hour away. It's almost cheaper to go to my local Walmart and buy a pan than it is to go to Ikea, but then I can't stock up on herring.

Matt Meiser
09-09-2011, 9:28 AM
My closest IKEA is 1 hour away. It's almost cheaper to go to my local Walmart and buy a pan than it is to go to Ikea, but then I can't stock up on herring.

Sorry, I meant Calphalon.

Jay Maiers
09-09-2011, 11:42 AM
None of my cast Iron pans has lost their coating.
jtk
Lol!

We'd bought one of the Tri-Ply pans a year or two ago; it worked better than any other pan we'd tried on our flat-top electric. We've never babied it, and it still looks pretty good.

Three or four weeks ago we bought a gas stove. Holy cow! I had no idea what I was missing!

Anyhow, the Tri-Ply works really, really well on this stove. We like it so much that we're going to replace the rest of our cookware (minus a couple of specialty pans).

FWIW, I've read over and over that Bar Keepers Friend is a great product for cleaning and keeping SS cookware looking good.

John Christian
09-10-2011, 12:17 PM
Like Rod i bought some stainless steel copper sandwich pots 30 some odd years ago and paid a fortune for them. (Cuisinart) They still look like the came out of the box and cook extremely well. Buy a new nonstick 25$ fry pan every year or so for eggs

Lee Schierer
09-14-2011, 5:55 PM
That's what my parents have too. We have one larger pot my mom gave us. But the newer stuff seems much thinner than theirs so we had gone with the Calphalon stuff.

Try Faberware Classic Here's a 16QT stock pot (http://www.amazon.com/Farberware-Classic-16-Quart-Stainless-Steel-Stockpot/dp/B00004RFK8/ref=sr_1_11?s=kitchen&ie=UTF8&qid=1316037349&sr=1-11) that your grandkids will inherit.

John Sanford
09-18-2011, 1:08 AM
Good quality (i.e. thick) aluminum with non-stick for frying pans.

All-Clad for all other pots and pans. Watch out, All-Clad has two different multi-pots. One is an overpriced Chinese import with one of those dreadful "disc" bottoms. The other is a much more expensive 7qt pot with the strainer insert. It's wonderful!

I don't know why the OP is having challenges with the non-stick, I've got a Calphalon stock/soup pot (6qt IIRC) that I've had for probably 15 years now, no peeling at all. It used to be my "go to pot" for making spaghetti sauces, chili, etc, but since I got an 8qt All-Clad Dutch Oven, it's strictly second string. One thing that I never liked about it was it would retain some smell from the sauces after washing.

Seasoned Cast iron is great for a few things, but one thing to remember is you CAN'T make quick changes in temperature with it, plus it's mighty heavy stuff. If you're getting cast iron, get Lodge. American made, and the price difference between it and the Chinese stuff is minimal.

As far as the price of All-Clad goes, yes it is expensive, until you compare it to copper cookware! However, since I'm not committed to matchy-match with my cookware, I've been able to pick up every piece I have, brand new, at 40-70% off retail. All-Clad seconds can be had at Williams-Sonomas Outlet stores, and I've also gotten closeout pieces at various retailers.

Matt Meiser
09-18-2011, 9:58 AM
The first one was non-stick and was apparently defective. The aluminum started to corrode under the non-stick. They replaced that one with a hard anodized version since they had discontinued the non-stick and the acid in tomatoes is apparently know for stripping that off.

Only took the Post Office 2 days to move it 15 miles (PO is 5 miles the other way from my house) so now I'm just waiting on Calphalon.

Lloyd Kerry
09-18-2011, 10:29 AM
Cookware is like a woman... you get what you pay for! ;-)

Dave Ogren
09-18-2011, 12:40 PM
Another vote for cast iron. We have everything in cast. If money is an issue, garage sales seem to always have cast iron for pennies on the dollar.
Gook luck,
Dave

Jim Becker
09-18-2011, 9:50 PM
"Traditional" non-stick sometimes does fail, unfortunately...you should check your warranty situation with Calphalon.

I mostly cool with stainless steel, but recently bought a 12" skillet with a new type of ceramic-based non-stick coating made by GreenPan. It doesn't off-gas the stuff that is dangerous to our birds and can also handle high-heat without breaking down. One must still take care and use non-stick friendly implements, however. I wanted one non-stick pan for certain circumstances for a long time and after seeing what they were using in the MasterChef competition, I did a bit of searching to find the GreenPan products. I happened to buy the "Todd English" signature product from HSN since the MasterChef version is delayed getting on the market...probably due to the name since it's already in use by another cookware manufacturer.

Oh, I also do use a few cast iron products from Lodge, too, including a skillet and a grill pan. The latter really comes in handy for indoor grilling when it's pouring rain as the one built into our range is a pain in the you-know-what to clean.