PDA

View Full Version : Carved Angel Wings

Mark Yundt
09-07-2011, 11:58 AM
This pair of Angels came to my shop in need of restoration as well as duplicating a wing for each of them. How they came to be missing a wing is beyond me. Regardless I carved a new wing for each of them to reasonably duplicate the plaster original and then restore the rest of the Angel. The wood is Bass, the paints are acrylic.Here are a few shots showing my sequence and results.

Chuck George
09-07-2011, 12:46 PM
As usual Mark, really nice job. Looking at the pictures I can not tell the difference. Looks like a fun project.

Chuck

Mark Yundt
09-07-2011, 2:12 PM
Thanks Chuck !
You're absolutely right, it was a fun project. Every so often you get one that is just a bit different and poses some sort of challenge to make the work interesting.
I just walked in the door from delivering them and the clients were quite happy. I call it a win!

Mike Pounders
09-07-2011, 5:08 PM
They look great! Is the white some type of gesso or primer? Inspiring work!

Mark Yundt
09-07-2011, 7:10 PM
Hey Mike,

Thanks!
The white is simply rattle can flat white by Valspar. I've found it works better than the actual white primers. For some reason they seem to be so watery. This stuff actually covers quite well and gives me a good base to work from. One or two coats is all it takes. When I carve decoys I use Gesso but for everything else, especially the statues I just use the flat white paint.

randall rosenthal
09-07-2011, 8:03 PM
really nice work!!