PDA

View Full Version : Store a floor jack with the handle down?

Stephen Tashiro
09-07-2011, 11:50 AM
I actually looked at the manual for a Sears "racing jack" that I've had for about 8 years. It says

ALWAYS store jack with the saddle and pump plunger lowered all the way down
Having the saddle lowered is no problem. But if I lowered the plunger, I'd have to take off the handle or have the handle of the jack lowered down near the floor where it would be in my way. How important is it to store a hydraulic floor jack with the pump plunger lowered all the way down?

Dan Hintz
09-07-2011, 11:55 AM
If there is no pressure on the piston (i.e., the handle has been twisted to prevent pumping), it doesn't matter what direction the handle site in.

Mike Henderson
09-07-2011, 2:31 PM
Yep, I ALWAYS stored my jack with the handle up and never had any problem. Also, go into almost any auto repair shop and they have the jacks with the handles up. I think Dan has it right. Just release the pressure when you store it - which is easy because you usually just let the car down.

Mike

Marty Paulus
09-08-2011, 7:00 AM
My jack has always been stored handle up as well. I think the logic for down would be the rod or piston that creates the pressure is exposed to the elements and could rust. However with all the jack oil on it I have never had that problem. Handle up prevents a trip hazard unless you remove the handle each time you use the jack.

Chris Damm
09-08-2011, 9:20 AM
The handle of my 1969 NAPA floor jack is up as it has been since new and it works just fine. The Sears my brother bought a few years ago has been replaced twice!

Mike Henderson
09-12-2011, 3:24 PM
This is a bit off subject, but I recently bought an aluminum floor jack because I just couldn't handle the big steel one I used to have. Works nice and if I have to pick it up (say to transport it), I can do it.

Mike