PDA

View Full Version : Save the urethanes!

Brian Kent
09-06-2011, 10:15 PM
I just bought 2 new Poly Urethane tires for my 17" Bandsaw.

And then the thought occurred to me, "How many poor defenseless Urethanes did they have to kill just to make 2 tires???" :eek:

This madness has to stop. Have we no conscience or conscious or anything like that?

Brian

Matt Meiser
09-06-2011, 10:49 PM
It's a renewable resource-- they just buy more oil :rolleyes:

Brian Kent
09-06-2011, 10:57 PM
Do they raise the oil in little cages or are they free-range Urethanes?

curtis rosche
09-06-2011, 11:32 PM
i think its in little cages, the lack of movement makes them straighter and better

Ken Fitzgerald
09-06-2011, 11:33 PM
It's free range....that's part of the problem.....finding the range.....

Thomas Hotchkin
09-06-2011, 11:38 PM
If you had just pickup the rubber ones we would not be here. ;) Tom

Bryan Morgan
09-07-2011, 12:26 AM
It's free range....that's part of the problem.....finding the range.....

I don't know about that. I've always had to pay for them, I've never seen them for free.

Ken Fitzgerald
09-07-2011, 12:31 AM
again.....that's part of the problem of allowing urethanes to roam a on a free range.....locating that range is an expensive and can be a deep subject to discuss......

Rich Engelhardt
09-07-2011, 5:28 AM
I'm afraid people will never learn...
The Naga was hunted to extintion for it's hyde in the 60's.
The (Poly)- Ester met a similar fate in the 70's as it also was hunted to extinction and turned into Liesure suits.

There is hope though.
Look at how well the Matso has fared....
;)

Belinda Barfield
09-07-2011, 7:28 AM
5 and 19/64ths urethanes are required to produce two tires. As Ken noted, their range is somewhat limited and frequently located in remote and isolated areas. Urethanes are notoriously difficult to trap as well. They are cunning creatures and are capable of oozing out of almost any trap.

Roger Newby
09-07-2011, 8:18 AM
Maybe they could be cross bred with snakes........then they could just shed their skins occasionally and keep going.

John Coloccia
09-07-2011, 8:44 AM
I've been raising my own Urethanes for the last two years. Sure, it takes a little time and effort, but nothing can compare to fresh Urethane. It's nothing at all like that artificially injected, Urethane jerky most people are familiar with. I encourage you all to buy your Urethanes locally and support the movement for sustainable Urethane.

Ben Hatcher
09-07-2011, 9:38 AM
I buy only organic Urethanes that are raised in humane conditions. Have you seen the way those factory Urethane farms treat their Urethane? Disgusting.

Dave Anderson NH
09-07-2011, 9:44 AM
Since Rick mentioned Polyesters, I thought I'd mention something. About 25 years ago my friend and old college roommate and I were driving by a yard sale in northern NH on our way back south at the end of a weekend hiking. We stopped and Owen found a cloth stuffed rag doll in blue and purple. He showed it to me and asked if I knew what it was. I said no and he explained that it was a promotional item, a Polyester made as a give away some years before. It was ugly with a capital UGH. With his quirky sense of humor he bought it and keeps it on the end of his couch at home. He has for years resisted all attempts by his wife to move it or throw it away.

Brian Kent
09-07-2011, 4:54 PM
Maybe they could be cross bred with snakes........then they could just shed their skins occasionally and keep going.

Roger, that is the best suggestion I've seen from anyone in the last 3 or 4 minutes.

Belinda Barfield
09-07-2011, 5:35 PM
Several years ago the SO and I were doing R & D on a new product and working pretty much every weekend. One Saturday we had been working some really tough hours and it was late in the day, we were both pretty punchy (Brian, you know what I mean) both from the long hours and the chemical fumes. I was rattling off some components and ratios for the last batch of product and he just looked at me and started laughing. I was rather puzzled and inquired as to exactly what he found so humorous. He said, "You'r talking, and all I'm hearing is Beaker." For those of you who don't know, Beaker was a character on The Muppet Show. He was the lab assistant to Professor Bunsen. Watch a couple of YouTube videos and you'll get it. For Christmas that year I gave him a Beaker doll.

I said all that to say this, Me Meep Mememeep Me Mep Meep - which in Beaker speak means "I'm headed to the lab to start cross breeding urethanes and snakes." :D

Brian Kent
09-07-2011, 6:27 PM
Excellent!

Rod Sheridan
09-07-2011, 7:55 PM
In Canada, we don't have the selection of Urethanes available to residents of the USA.

All Canadian urethanes are free range organic, as they're made from the remains of dinosaurs who died before we had fences in Canada.

Regards, Rod.

Stephen Tashiro
09-08-2011, 1:11 AM
The inventor Liddell Millotter discovered how to make urethane from water in 1925, but his patent was bought up by the big oil companies who kept the technology a secret and never used it.

Ken Fitzgerald
09-08-2011, 11:07 AM
The inventor Liddell Millotter discovered how to make urethane from water in 1925, but his patent was bought up by the big oil companies who kept the technology a secret and never used it.

Isn't he the same guy who invented the water injection system for cars that increased horsepower by 15% while improving gas mileage by more than double when you add his air filter with the water injection kit?

Brian Tymchak
09-08-2011, 11:31 AM
5 and 19/64ths urethanes are required to produce two tires. As Ken noted, their range is somewhat limited and frequently located in remote and isolated areas. Urethanes are notoriously difficult to trap as well. They are cunning creatures and are capable of oozing out of almost any trap.

I've heard that due to global warming, wild urethanes are migrating to higher lattitudes..

glenn bradley
09-08-2011, 11:53 AM
The 'polyurethane protection act' came quickly on the heels of the 'save the mo' campaign. Do you have any idea how may mo's they have to shave to make a mohair suit? Its shocking.

Brian Kent
09-08-2011, 12:31 PM
The 'polyurethane protection act' came quickly on the heels of the 'save the mo' campaign. Do you have any idea how may mo's they have to shave to make a mohair suit? Its shocking.

Mo than you can count, Glenn. Mo than you can count.

glenn bradley
09-09-2011, 10:35 AM
Isn't he the same guy who invented the water injection system for cars that increased horsepower by 15% while improving gas mileage by more than double when you add his air filter with the water injection kit?

o, he's the guy that figured out how to plumb the tailpipe to the carburetor and run your car perpetually.

Brian Kent
09-12-2011, 3:06 PM
The Urethane Bandsaw Tires arrived today. What a Grizzly sight.
I am thankful for the Urethanes who gave their lives for the sake of my bandsaw and the safe use of its blades.
Rest in Peace, little Uri's.

Eddie Watkins
09-12-2011, 8:25 PM
The polyesters went the way of the buffalo due to their clingy nature and electrial conductivity not to mention their lack of resistance to fire.

Rick Potter
09-13-2011, 2:04 PM
Polly and Esther were twins. THEY got Esther, but Polly is in the witness protection program.

My first new car was a 1965 Pontiac GTO. It had Morrocan Naughahide upholstery. I always grieved the Morrocan Naughas, as they were the first to face extinction. Some of the survivors are now eco-terrorists, battleing the dreaded Cowhides of nearby McDonaldland.

Rick Potter

Belinda Barfield
09-13-2011, 2:15 PM
Some of the survivors are now eco-terrorists, battleing the dreaded Cowhides of nearby McDonaldland.

Rick Potter

Where do the Chic-fil-A cows stand in this battle?