PDA

View Full Version : Shop Photo's

David Eisan
04-20-2003, 9:07 AM
Good Morning All,

I enjoy seeing pictures of other peoples shop, so I thought I would post a couple shots of my shop.

http://members.rogers.com/moreweb/images/composite.jpg

David.

Jason Roehl
04-20-2003, 9:11 AM
Welcome to the Creek, David! I envy the clean shop--you can still walk through yours. :D Thanks for sharing, and don't be shy about posting pics of your work in the (hopefully near) future.

Glenn Clabo
04-20-2003, 9:28 AM
Welcome David...

Now that's a shop I can relate to. Looks like you have fun.

Mike Mastin
04-20-2003, 10:08 AM
What size is this and who is the manufacturer? I am trying buying a 12" or 16" jointer for the shop and your look strikingly familar to others that I have seen. It looks like a 12" jointer, correct?

What are your overall impressions of the unit if you don't mind sharing with me either via email or here in the forum.

My shop is part of the business today, so we have stuff everywhere due to small space..

I have to laugh to my self. I built a dedicated workshop about 4 years ago now and have never had the opportunity to set up my own tools in it! All of my tools are at our business :-) My wife really loves this one! She now wants to take over the workshop to do stained glass!

Mike Evertsen
04-20-2003, 11:18 AM
nice tools but your picture quality is set to low on your camera,,,and IMHO you need to call merry maids,,LOL

Bruce Page
04-20-2003, 11:45 AM
Nice shop, thanks for the tour.

Keith Outten
04-20-2003, 11:45 AM
David,

You workshop looks like you actually work in it, in fact it is better organized and much cleaner than mine. I try real hard but can't keep my shop looking like some of our members, you will see some very nice shop pictures here at the Creek and some really beautiful work as well.

If I could just figure out how to work in my shop and not get it dirty.

Thanks for the pictures.

Rod Peterson
04-20-2003, 12:57 PM
<br>
Hi David,

Gee, about a hundred shop tours that I've handled for <a href=http://www.shoptours.org>www.ShopTours.org</a> and this is the only one I've seen with not a word of descriptive text. I guess there's one in every neighborhood.

If nothing else, you could tell us what all those boxes are for.

Let me know if you're interested in having your tour posted there.

David Eisan
04-20-2003, 1:56 PM
Hello again All,

Rod, I didn't know you hung out around here! I think I will take another set of photos when I am done the boxes, my plane restorations and I have had a chance to clean up a little.

About the boxes,

I build a bunch of assorted stuff for a local manufacturer of scientific measuring equipment, they make light spectroscopy equipment mostly. They found that the delicate bits that end users need to install and remove on a regular basis to change the configuration of the machines were getting damaged because they were being mishandled/stored improperly.

I don't really know exactly what these boxes are for. They fax me an engineering blueprint, I fax them a quote, they fax me a PO, two weeks later I deliver some boxes, two weeks later a cheque shows up in my mailbox.

The blueprints for these ones read "grating/mirror holder". There are little steps inside the boxes to hold the actual objects. I deliver them finished with a bunch of holes drilled in them. They install threaded inserts for nuts to hold the objects down with. They also glue felt on the "steps" so the mirrors are not sitting on wood.

It is not fine furniture, but it certainly helps pay the bills...

Misc. Planes in view,

I don't know if anyone can see these, but there are bits of planes all over the place, and you can see an electrozap bath in front of my rolling tool chest. I am in the middle of writing and photographing and article on plane restoration for a Canadian woodworking magazine.

About the Jointer,

It is a Delta DJ-30, 3hp 12" jointer. The DJ-20's bigger brother. I really like it! You cannot hand feed over this jointer like you can a little one, a push block hooked over the end of the board is a *must* or you are throwing javalins. At first I found it *really* annoying how far the cutterhead guard swung out compared to my old 8" jointer, but I have become used to it now and it no longer bothers me at all. At first, it was a lot to step around when using the machine. I have arranged to sell the jointer and I am not sure what I am going to replace it with, maybe an offshore General International 12" jointer.

About me,

I am 34 years old and I am work at one of Ontario's (Canada) largest tool stores based in London, Ontario. I am totally absorbed in all aspects of woodworking.

Von Bickley
04-20-2003, 3:31 PM
David,

Welcome to the Creek and thanks for sharing the pictures with us.

Jennifer@Indy.USA
04-20-2003, 5:29 PM
Hi David,

Your shop reminds me of a well broken in pair of jeans! Nice and comfy. Thanks for the tour!

Jennifer

Rod Peterson
04-20-2003, 6:59 PM
<br>
By the way, lest anyone thinks I'm more of an obnoxious lout than they already do, regarding my comment to David about <i>one in every neighborhood</i>, David's tagline in his posts on <i>rec.woodworking</i>, the usenet newsgroup, says: <i>Every neighbourhood has one, in mine, I'm him.</i>

It's always cracked me up and seemed like an appropriate thing to try and work in on a reply to him on his first sighting here at the 'creek.

Jim Becker
04-20-2003, 11:03 PM
Originally posted by mike
nice tools but your picture quality is set to low on your camera,,,and IMHO you need to call merry maids,,LOL

Merry Maids will not get that dust up...at least OUR MM crew is not capable of such a simple thing! SWMBO's RoomBa (Robot Vacuum Cleaner) does a far better job at that...in the house, at least!

Todd Burch
04-20-2003, 11:54 PM
Is that your woodworking dust collector hose connected to your metal dust producing bench grinder? I wouldn't have considered that "kosher".

Todd.