PDA

View Full Version : Trogdor WoodVaporizer - Burninatin' the Countryside

Jim Underwood
09-06-2011, 9:31 PM
David Cristoforo (and I thought my last name was too long!) has been axin' questions about pyro-woodburning stuff, and I figgered it about time to post pix of my take on the Graeme Priddle Wood Vaporizer- A Trogdor WoodVaporizer Burninator.

The charger was about $40 at Sears (on sale) but you can get about the same thing at HF on sale.

The nichrome wire was salvaged out of an old plastic bodied heater I just about threw out altogether. The connectors I bought at radio shack for a couple bucks. I could have saved a little more money on the flexible wire, and just used some old extension cord I had lying around, but I bought a roll of the required stuff. The phenolic I had scrounged from some falloff at a previous job. The rheostat, switched outlet and box I bought at Home Depot. I think I may have about $65-70 in it. And I still have a usable battery charger.

So then I threw it all together... I didn't take pix of turning the pen, but I only did it a tad different from this link http://www.fishcarver.com/images/burning instructions.PDF

The plans for the thing can be found here:
http://www.svwoodturners.org/TipsTricks/PriddleStyleWoodVaporizer/PriddleStyleWoodVaporizer.html

Not necessarily in order -pictures of the whole rig, the pen, the charger, the materials, a low and a high setting burn..

charlie knighton
09-06-2011, 9:39 PM
interesting, thanks for sharing

Bill Bulloch
09-06-2011, 10:22 PM
Now that looks real dangerous. Having just bought a Detail Master, pen and three tips for a class I am going to take with Andie Wolfe next week, I can really appreciate the price of yours.

Dick Wilson
09-06-2011, 10:39 PM
Jim, thanks for the information

Jim Underwood
09-06-2011, 10:44 PM
Now that looks real dangerous.

Seriously? The only real danger here is burning my fingers with that cheap nichrome wire when it bends.:eek:
The clips coming out of the charger are only at 12 volts DC, and less than 10 amps, so you might get some sparks if they get shorted together, but nothing like 120 VAC coming together.

And I'm only guessing at the total - mighta been less. I have the receipts for everything, but I just didn't wanna go dig 'em out and total it all up.

One thing's for sure, I need some nichrome wire that's a bit larger gauge...

Oh, and a couple other things, you can find instructions for Molly Winton's burning brands over on Woodturning Online's articles section.
If you have an old powersupply out of a PC, you can make your burner with that instead of the charger. You can find the instructions here:
http://www.lavieenbois.com/html/pyrograveur_eng.htm
I have a couple of old PS, but the charger was so much easier, I just went with that.

This may give David the information he needs to figure out the rectifier bridge stuff...

Oh, and Bill, I'm green with envy about your class with Andie Wolfe...

Scott Hackler
09-06-2011, 11:40 PM
Curious.... is that a ceiling fan dimmer knob? Doesn't it get HOT when you turn it down? I tried to put a ceiling fan dimmer on a squirrel cage fan once and the darn thing got really hot when turned down, but that was turning down 120v AC.

Thanks

Jason Clark2
09-06-2011, 11:57 PM
Homestar Runner, that brings back some memories. J

Jim Underwood
09-07-2011, 12:06 AM
Homestar Runner, that brings back some memories. J

Consumate 'V's only...

Jim Underwood
09-07-2011, 12:08 AM
Curious.... is that a ceiling fan dimmer knob? Doesn't it get HOT when you turn it down? I tried to put a ceiling fan dimmer on a squirrel cage fan once and the darn thing got really hot when turned down, but that was turning down 120v AC.

Thanks

I don't rightly know. Depends on the amount of power running through it. This one is turning down 120v AC as well....