PDA

View Full Version : Beautiful day in the wood dump

Bob Bergstrom
09-06-2011, 8:09 PM
206995206996206997It was about seventy degrees and breezy here in Chicago today. I just bought a Stihl 362 and was itching to saw some wood. First I found some white oak that from the look of the growth rings was around 100 yrs. old. The rings on the sap wood are barely discernable. The walnut is from a 40" tree that the stump was rotten except for the outer sap wood. I was able to find some of the upper trunk and large limbs. The saw was a good upgrade from my old 028. I had a 25" bar put on it and it seems to work very well. I've been reading about Muffler mods over on a chainsaw form and think I will perform one of those after the warranty period runs out. They say it will give 20% more power while allowing the saw to run cooler. It seems that manufactures had to restrict the muffler in order to satisfy the EPA requirements on emissions. Unspent gases are consumed by the restrictive muffler which causes more heat and less power.

John Keeton
09-06-2011, 8:39 PM
Bob, that walnut makes me drool!! Love the stuff. Nice haul.

Bob Bergstrom
09-06-2011, 8:50 PM
Bob, that walnut makes me drool!! Love the stuff. Nice haul.
John I have a four poster bed made of walnut. The head board is made of walnut from Northeast Iowa (beautiful chocolate brown), and the posts are from Kentucky Walnut (more redish). Both were a dream to turn and both are gorgeous by them selves. I take walnut any time I can find it.

charlie knighton
09-06-2011, 9:35 PM
nice haul, enjoy

Bernie Weishapl
09-06-2011, 9:37 PM
Great haul Bob. Nice looking walnut.

Joe Meirhaeghe
09-06-2011, 9:44 PM
John I have a four poster bed made of walnut. The head board is made of walnut from Northeast Iowa (beautiful chocolate brown), and the posts are from Kentucky Walnut (more redish). Both were a dream to turn and both are gorgeous by them selves. I take walnut any time I can find it.

I'm with you guys,I love walnut too. I have made my whole bed room set out of walnut most of it sawn from my dads local farm it includes 4 poster bed, 2-3drawer night stands,a large 5 drawer dresser,quilt rack,& cheveal mirror all out of walnut.
I'm also jealous of your new saw. I also have a 31 yr old Stihl 028 that I'd like to upgrade, but the Old saw just won't die. It still runs like new!!
One last Note to you Bob. Steve ,Sarge, & I are hoping to make it to your Chicago meeting next week. Hope to see you there If we make it. Joe

John Keeton
09-07-2011, 7:24 AM
Bob, we grow the walnut here with just a little reddish hue to go with our red necks!!!:D

Dale Miner
09-07-2011, 8:50 AM
Bob, we grow the walnut here with just a little reddish hue to go with our red necks!!!:D

Your red neck matches your eyes, you close your cover before striking, turning wood has made me bananas.

Nathan Hawkes
09-07-2011, 7:40 PM
206995206996206997It was about seventy degrees and breezy here in Chicago today. I just bought a Stihl 362 and was itching to saw some wood. First I found some white oak that from the look of the growth rings was around 100 yrs. old. The rings on the sap wood are barely discernable. The walnut is from a 40" tree that the stump was rotten except for the outer sap wood. I was able to find some of the upper trunk and large limbs. The saw was a good upgrade from my old 028. I had a 25" bar put on it and it seems to work very well. I've been reading about Muffler mods over on a chainsaw form and think I will perform one of those after the warranty period runs out. They say it will give 20% more power while allowing the saw to run cooler. It seems that manufactures had to restrict the muffler in order to satisfy the EPA requirements on emissions. Unspent gases are consumed by the restrictive muffler which causes more heat and less power.

Bob, thats a pretty nice haul you got there!! From the look of that oak, its more like 150 years old, or better. Those rings are close!! On the saw, great purchase! I have a 361, as well as a few other saws. Its a very nice, commercial grade machine. The new model is about a pound heavier than the 361, but it has .2 HP more. On the muffler mods, 10% is more realistic. All my saws have had some sort of muffler modification. The unspent gases aren't really consumed by the restrictive muffler; that's what a catalytic converter does in a car. The restrictive muffler is kinda like the banana in the tailpipe trick. There's always unspent gases in the output of any 2 stroke engine--the restriction just puts a "cap" on the amount of gases that can come out of any given size chainsaw. Removing the restriction lets exhaust flow out more easily, in turn letting more air come in the intake, and so on. It does give you a more power, but the noise output is greatly increased. I caution you against this if you're cutting frequently in a residential area. Don't forget to richen up the carburetor settings! I'm guessing you post on Arborist site? I'm there as well.

Craig Matheny
09-07-2011, 7:47 PM
Jelous can't find wood like that here in So Cal.

Bob Bergstrom
09-07-2011, 9:15 PM
Thanks Nate. The comments on the chainsaw site were from a guy sell mod mufflers. He welds a pipe in and it directs the gases down and away. I saw some that just drill holes of less than 80% of the size of the exhaust port. I'm sure it is louder. I cut in a wood dump with freight trains going buy. No problem there, but I'm sure my neighbors would not appreciate it at 6 in the morning. LOL. Thanks for the input, that what makes the Creek.