PDA

View Full Version : Submerging Wood for preservation

Jason Park
09-06-2011, 5:52 PM
I wondered if anyone has had success keeping wood in water rather than using endgrain sealer. It is what I do but I was curious as to the number of people who also use this method.

Jim Burr
09-06-2011, 5:57 PM
I did that for 3 weeks with some holly to reduce some checking. The wood does swell, and the checking is only hidden until it re-dries, but at least the opportunity is there to control filling of the checks.

Donny Lawson
09-06-2011, 6:18 PM
I've not tried that but I have thought of getting a fresh log and wrapping a black garbage bag over the ends and adding tape around it to keep the moisture in the ends better to prevent checking. Haven't tried it but thought about it.

Terry Quiram
09-06-2011, 6:22 PM
I kept some wood submerged for a couple of months. Boy did it ever stink when I raised the lid. Some really nasty gunk floating on the top. Pitched the wood, cleaned the trash can and never tried it again.

Jason Park
09-06-2011, 6:31 PM
I have a horse trough and it has a nozzle at the bottom to allow me to drain the water. That is the only drawback is the nasty water. Luckily I have space where I live to put it near the woods away from my house and my shop so I don't have to smell it. Also I let it sit for a day or so before I turn it.

Reed Gray
09-06-2011, 7:07 PM
It is an old technique. In a log pond with fresh water circulating, not a problem. In a trough with no circulating water, things can get stinky. It lets the cell walls break down (if done for a year or two) so the bound water (that within cell walls) will go out more easily, and in drying, the wood will be more stable. Mineral stains will be more plentiful, and the over all color can darken.

robo hippy