PDA

View Full Version : Bowl and Spoon

Johnny Taylor
09-06-2011, 2:40 PM
Acacia bowl 6" wide 4" tall with textured band dyed and metallic gold sparingly rubbed over to give that aged look. The matching spoon is the first I've ever made! Its also Acacia with the same decorative treatment. More details on my blog(linked under 'Home page' in my profile, including why I don't have the spoon any more!!.....

Comments and critiques welcomed.

http://i19.photobucket.com/albums/b178/johnnyjtaylor/woodturnings/bowlandspoon002small.jpg

Steve Kubien
09-06-2011, 8:53 PM
Bloody brilliant. How deep is the bowl? With the thick rim, it appears as though wouldn't be very deep. I love the set.

Bernie Weishapl
09-06-2011, 9:34 PM
Now those are beauties. Really well done.

charlie knighton
09-06-2011, 9:36 PM
+1 on the beauties

Dennis Peacock
09-07-2011, 1:01 AM
Nice.....really nice.!!!! Tasteful and a great design.

Norm Zax
09-07-2011, 5:02 AM
Very elegant!! Can you elaborate on the texturing technique? Looks quite organic.

Greg Just
09-07-2011, 7:07 AM
Simply beautiful - well done.

David E Keller
09-07-2011, 9:11 AM
Lovely pairing! The wood itself is particularly nice, and the pyro is a nice touch.

Johnny Taylor
09-07-2011, 3:30 PM
Thanks for all the replies :) They are as always much appreciated.

Bloody brilliant. How deep is the bowl? With the thick rim, it appears as though wouldn't be very deep. I love the set.
Steve, I have to admit to really disliking bowls that aren't as deep as the outside suggests they should be! This one has an even wall thickness down until the base which is thinner than the walls by 3/8" or so, I think doing that gives these bowls a much better appearance, they appear deep when you look inside.

Very elegant!! Can you elaborate on the texturing technique? Looks quite organic.

Norm, its simple enough to do the edge of the band is cut in with a point tool, burned in with a guitar string,then its pyrographed with vertical lines through the band, dyed purple with a spirit based dye and then a tiny amount of gold metallic paint rubbed over but in an uneven manner. Hope that explains it :)

Greg Just
09-07-2011, 10:37 PM
Johnny:

how did you do the spoon? Did you carve it or bend the handle?

Greg

Chris Burgess
09-08-2011, 2:34 PM
Amazing piece. Read the story and the spoon is in a better place where it will be abused as much as it is loved.

Baxter Smith
09-08-2011, 9:24 PM
Great set! A very neat thing to try!