PDA

View Full Version : Giant Tree Logged long time ago

Craig D Peltier
09-06-2011, 12:05 PM
This article was in seattle times a few days ago.

http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/restlessnative/2016112972_restless05m.html

David Helm
09-06-2011, 3:46 PM
Interesting story. I know the location. Not all the big trees were cut that long ago. It's only been in the last decade that "old growth" logging ended. Back in the 90s, I and others bought a thirty foot section of a 71/2 foot diameter Doug Fir log to take around the country in an effort to make the Northwest forest issue a national on rather than regional. The tree was 731 years old when cut. It came from the Olympic Peninsula. I remember many single log loads back in the 70s and 80s. I think the writer was not fully correct when he said we were no longer phillistines.

anthony wall
09-07-2011, 8:58 AM
last year my brother in law was telling me about his house build in northern thailandand he said that the entire house was built from only one tree ,the house measures 15 meters by 9 meters with the upper floor and walls all timber i checked and four of the beams holding the floor joists are the full length of the house now thats a lot of timber from only 1 tree , all the doors which are all solid raised panel or ledger and brace style ,window frames with solid shutters and the stairs in fact everything in the house that is made from wood and including a rice storage shed on stilts,now this brother in law is a little prone to embellishing his stories but the other brother in law who lives next door to him swears that it is absolutely true. by the way he calls it redwood its actualy some sort of mahogany