PDA

View Full Version : I've Had Enough

Dick Wilson
09-06-2011, 10:50 AM
After 30 some straight days in my shop the lights are officially out :eek::eek::eek:

I went down stairs this morning and everything I touched was going to crap. I started out working on my dessert plate stand. The more I putzed with it the worse it got. I am thinking I putzed it right into the burn barrell :mad::mad::mad:

I decided to finish 4 bowls I did a couple of weeks ago for a demo. Major problems developed on each bowl. I stopped and chucked up a different bowl.....problems. :mad::mad::mad:

I am so fustrated that I could spit gouges.

I am sure none of you have ever had this happen :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

Tim Rinehart
09-06-2011, 11:03 AM
My frustration is typically with finishes. I have some beautiful walnut crotch platters that I just keep screwing up finish on...so they sit in limbo in corner of shop...dust collecting.

John Keeton
09-06-2011, 11:10 AM
Dick, I am quite sure it is just you. I have never had days like that!:rolleyes:

charlie knighton
09-06-2011, 11:47 AM
Dick, i spent 4 hours labor day trying to get tear out out of new Kokopelli flat, like you say burn barrell. to better days ahead

Dick Wilson
09-06-2011, 12:10 PM
Dick, I am quite sure it is just you. I have never had days like that!:rolleyes:

Yea, right. When I see you face to face at the Ohio Symposium you will not be able get away with that:D

Al Wasser
09-06-2011, 2:16 PM
"Putzed" I thought I was the only person that used that word and I certainly did not pick it up from you -- I like that word!

Ed Morgano
09-06-2011, 2:30 PM
Dick,
I had the exact problem when i started on my pieces for the Beauty and Beast contest. I had a nice piece of BLM burl that I thought was going to be my beauty. Not enough time or room here to describe everything that went wrong. Warping, lack of experience, dye changing color, finials breaking etc., etc., etc. Anyway, I finially resigned myself to calling this piece what it really was.... A BEAST!. I don't know why, but I felt some pressure from this and the turning became more of a chore than something I really wanted to do. I as very glad to be done with my entries and have that off my plate. A break will help....it will give you time to reflect on just why you go into your shop in the first place......TO HAVE FUN!

Bob Bergstrom
09-06-2011, 4:12 PM
Turn some honey dippers and gain your confidence back. I once turned 46 and 1/2 before I felt ready to tackle a bowl again.

Jim Burr
09-06-2011, 5:15 PM
"Putzed" I thought I was the only person that used that word and I certainly did not pick it up from you -- I like that word!

Is that in the Yiddish dictionary? I use that word because my mom was and English professor at Stanford and used it on a regular basis...I was left with little choice!!

Rick Markham
09-06-2011, 5:18 PM
Dick, this happens with all my pieces :) I've just gotten used to it :p

Jim Silva
09-06-2011, 6:54 PM
Is that in the Yiddish dictionary? I use that word because my mom was and English professor at Stanford and used it on a regular basis...I was left with little choice!!

Uh... not quite sure how to tell you this but unless things have changed dramatically the word you're looking for is "Futzed". Google search of "putzed" yielded quite another definition.:rolleyes:

Bernie Weishapl
09-06-2011, 9:42 PM
Dick there are some days I just shut the shop down and grab a cold one. Head out the next day and start again.

Tony De Masi
09-07-2011, 1:59 PM
Dick, if it doesn't happen then you aren't turnin. At least in my experience.

Dennis Simmons
09-07-2011, 7:07 PM
Uh... not quite sure how to tell you this but unless things have changed dramatically the word you're looking for is "Futzed". Google search of "putzed" yielded quite another definition.:rolleyes:

http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=putzed

Faust M. Ruggiero
09-07-2011, 7:22 PM
Dick,
When I have that kind of day I refer to it as the reverse Midas Touch. Everything I touch turns to sh.. Yup, Been there, done that, and will be there again and not just in the shop.
faust