PDA

View Full Version : Quinquefarious Ilex

Tim Rinehart
09-06-2011, 8:15 AM
This is my Beast entry at WA
Ok...The loose translation of the name is a Five Lobed Holly. The main body started as a piece of holly root that has so much apparent silica, it was truly a 'beast' to turn and keep tools sharp. The 5 lobes took shape originally as a scalloped section (going both inward/outward) before being carved into leaves. The lid is made of maple, with pyro work representing a seed pod exposed when the leaves opened at the top. I had to do this lid twice after not being happy with flow of the original lid.

Sanded to 400, textured then alcohol dyed, brush lacquered. flat black enamel on ring and under lid before applying gold leaf paint. Pyro work on seams and lid. Interior is flat black.

The scalloped section on top started originally looking similar to the spalted maple scalloped top piece I will also post, but with the inward folding lobes removed and then carved into leaf tips.

I give full credit for my scalloping skills to Charles Farrar, a local turner with national acclaim and a generous heart for showing others of us in the clubs some of his techniques.

Hard to explain without pics...may need to show a few 'progress pics' next time I do one to give better idea. It's essentially just creating a solid fold on both the inside and outside, and then using a carver to remove material to alternate the lobes going in/out.
C&C welcome.

Doug W Swanson
09-06-2011, 8:34 AM
Wow, that is cool! We really need to see some progress pics next time...

Excellent job!

Faust M. Ruggiero
09-06-2011, 8:35 AM
Just fabulous, Tim. The scalloped edge is unique and the lid shows great imagination. How exciting to see all these late entrees that are one better than the other. Best of luck, you deserve a lot of votes.
faust

Jim Burr
09-06-2011, 9:21 AM
Well I'm in awe...just amazing Bill!

charlie knighton
09-06-2011, 11:58 AM
very nice, like the rim and collor, love the gliding, the mockingbird who lives in boxwood for the past 10 years would love your finial, well done

Tim Rinehart
09-06-2011, 1:13 PM
Thanks all for the nice comments....though I'm still trying to figure out the mockingbird thing...perhaps something to do with the somewhat animated shape of the finial/branch. Again, thanks. This was a real journey for me to put so many details into a piece and not have any one terribly crowd out the other...iterations leading up to this weren't all pretty.

I will hopefully do something similar again, and will put together some progress shots.