PDA

View Full Version : Stair overlay tread bending to fit (kerfing on table saw?)

Keith A. Bozek
09-06-2011, 12:23 AM
I decided to use a prefab tread on my staircase. Problem is, the builder installed a cap molding on my stringers and it's glued and nailed and the molding extends into the staircase about 3/8 inch on each side. Trying to remove is damaging stringer.

I want the string to fit nicely into this closed staircase. I just can't get this stringer under the molding. The stringer is one of those retrotread types with a molding in the front.

I want to kerf the stringer on the bottom and bend it just enough to get the stringer in its center. I was thinking I could bend it up. Problem also is that molding in the front. I really like these treads as these material is really matched well. Hoping to use them but trying to figure out how deep and kerf spacing. Want to do on table saw in shop.

Any deas would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Keith

Glen Butler
09-06-2011, 1:35 AM
Some pictures might help cause I cannot picture what you are trying to do. In my parts a stair stringer is synonymous with stair horse. It is the 2x12 or LVL that has the square notches which supports all the treads and risers. Obviously you can't cut it to bend it into place.

Richard Wolf
09-06-2011, 7:32 AM
I think you are using the word string and stringer when you mean tread. It is difficult to bend those tread covers. I would plane off the molding and address that problem afterward, maybe reinstall a molding feature.