PDA

View Full Version : A Little Corel Help Please

Frank Defert
09-05-2011, 11:20 PM
Hi Everyone,

I am working on a file for a shifter decal and am struggling with what is probably a simple procedure in corel. I am trying to cut an elipse in half and then remove the line to open it up at each end of the decal. Please see attatched file. Also please don't just do it for me, but if you could share with me how to do it, I could learn to do it for myself next time.

Thanks ... Frank

Gary Hair
09-06-2011, 12:00 AM
There are lots of ways to do this and mine is probably not the best... but it works. I use smart fill a lot, A LOT, and I can always find a way to use it to accomplish most tasks. Here is how I did this:
1. Draw a rectangle around the entire object.
2. Select smart fill and fill in the area between the object and the rectangle
3. Select and delete the two elipses and the rectangle that you drew
4. Select the letters and copy then delete them
5. Smart fill inside the area where the letters were
6. Select the new object and remove the fill.
7. Paste the letters

Done

I have attached the results

Gary

Allen Isakson
09-06-2011, 12:08 AM
Gary a very easy way to do this is with the virtual segment delete tool. You simply click on which half of the elipse you want gone and its done.

Frank Defert
09-06-2011, 12:29 AM
Thanks guys for your replys.

Gary ... I have to admit I didn"t fully understand your way, but I am still learning corel. Also I didn't explain it too cklearly but I was looking for the elipse cutout inside the rectangle.

Allen ... that works slick, just what I was looking for.

Ian Franks
09-06-2011, 2:09 AM
Gary a very easy way to do this is with the virtual segment delete tool. You simply click on which half of the elipse you want gone and its done.
Allen This is brilliant thanks for pointing this out.

Mike Null
09-06-2011, 5:10 AM
Ungroup all, select the ellipses and rectangle and weld.

Jeff Belany
09-06-2011, 10:13 AM
Mike,

Thanks for the reminder about the weld tool. I know how to do it the long way but the weld tool is so great. For whatever reason (probably just old age) I never remember to use it.

Jeff in northern Wisconsin

Gary Hair
09-06-2011, 12:31 PM

Thanks Allen! I have never used that tool and I am pretty sure I'll be using it a lot now. 4 clicks to do what took me quite a few more.

Thanks for the tip!

Allen Isakson
09-06-2011, 12:55 PM
Your welcome Gary, I had stumbled on this accendently and use it all the time now. Im not the corel expert but just have a few fav tools I get pretty good with. Another trick i have found useful is, If there is a piece of line i wish to delete I will drag my dotted line from the side rule of the screen to one end and drag another line to the other end and delete between the lines.