PDA

View Full Version : Any ideas for a Heavy Wall-Hanging

Brian Kent
09-05-2011, 10:49 PM
My son asked for a trio of hat racks. Big ones. 6' wide and about 6" high, 3/4 Ash with purple heart stripe. Did I mention he has a hat collection?

They are all done except the shellac and hanging system. Hence my question:

What hanging system?

He rents a room so it can't damage the wall beyond nail or screw holes.

Any ideas?

Thanks.

Brian

Jamie Buxton
09-05-2011, 11:00 PM
Wood screws into the studs, if your definition of minimal damage includes filling those holes and repainting.

glenn bradley
09-05-2011, 11:18 PM
Stud attachment (and the screw holes that go with it) can often fail to line up aesthetically with what you are hanging. A french cleat would solve that.

Jamie Buxton
09-05-2011, 11:27 PM
If you don't want to put holes in the walls, here's an approach. Make spring-loaded poles that wedge between the floor and ceiling. Fasten the hat-rack boards to the poles, probably before you put the poles up. Make the springs stiff enough to exert good pressure on the ceiling, but not so much as to punch a hole in the sheetrock. Use rubber on the tips to increase friction. The springy end needs to be at the top. You don't want the weight of the racks and hats to compress a spring at the bottom, and pull the top away from the ceiling.

Ben Davis
09-06-2011, 4:14 PM
What about a French Cleat? Sounds like it would do the trick just fine.

Mike Henderson
09-06-2011, 4:54 PM
I don't know how much it weighs but Home Depot carries some picture hangers that hold up to 75 or 100 pounds each (don't remember which). They use three small nails in the drywall. Doesn't make much of a mark (hole) at all.

Mike

Jim Finn
09-06-2011, 7:45 PM
I always use the "screw in" type hollow wall anchors. They go in easy and are strong.

Larry Frank
09-06-2011, 8:26 PM
I agree with the French Cleat and fasten it into the studs. Nothing will bring it down.

Brian Kent
09-06-2011, 8:28 PM
Mike, I looked up the "ook" 100 lb picture hangers. That would probably fit the bill since this is a temporary living place. He has permission to put nail holes in the wall.

I will also put T-slot holes in the back at a standard stud width in case he ever needs those.

Bruce Page
09-06-2011, 8:32 PM
I have used the little picture hanger clips with good results. In this instance, a gift, I mounted them on 16” & 24” centers. They would be plenty strong for what you want to do.