PDA

View Full Version : Coffee Set - Walnut/Elm

Tim Rinehart
09-05-2011, 10:36 PM
This is my Beauty entry...almost down to the wire for submission too. Just finished last of some lacquer applications last night!
Walnut and elm, main piece about 8" tall. I had to experiment with alot of spouts and handles before being satisfied, including making sure the spout had a continuous hole (1/4") going all the way into the vessel.
The little creamer was an exercise in diligence with a carver and lots of sanding drums.
I have alot more respect for those who make these more often than I, they are more difficult than would appear to also get good fit between the attached spout and handle and body of form.

Mike Willeson
09-05-2011, 10:40 PM
That is a beauty Tim! The sugar dish and creamer are nice compliments. Not sure how you made the spout....perhaps when you've completed your B&B entries you can share the process.

John Keeton
09-06-2011, 7:29 AM
Tim, that is some superb work!! I love the design elements, and the toolwork, carving and finishing are top notch. Great job!!

Steve Schlumpf
09-06-2011, 7:35 AM
Very nice Tim! Has a whimsical quality to the set! Good luck in the contest!

Jim Burr
09-06-2011, 9:26 AM
Well I have no words Tim...I'd bet you and Mike Gibson have spent a bit of time together. Amazing!!

Johnny Taylor
09-06-2011, 9:49 AM
Tim, that's fantastic work! All parts looks to be mini marvels in themselves.

Tim Rinehart
09-06-2011, 10:10 AM
Well I have no words Tim...I'd bet you and Mike Gibson have spent a bit of time together. Amazing!!
Jim,
I was fortunate to see a demo by Mike last year at one of our local clubs, the Southern Piedmont Woodturners. I unfortunately missed a recent workshop we had with him due to travel plans I had. I not only missed Mike/Cindy...but another workshop with Betty Scarpino and another with Clay Foster!!! Arrghhh, too much traveling this past couple months.
Thanks so much...I must admit though, seeing the beautiful work by Michael/Cynthia Gibson is inspiring to anyone!

Bernie Weishapl
09-06-2011, 10:41 AM
Now that is a cool set Tim. I really like it. Good luck.

Harvey Ghesser
09-06-2011, 10:54 AM
Beautiful work, Tim...

Tim Rinehart
09-06-2011, 11:00 AM
That is a beauty Tim! The sugar dish and creamer are nice compliments. Not sure how you made the spout....perhaps when you've completed your B&B entries you can share the process.
The spout on the main piece was done by laying out the profile on the block of wood, using one drilling going up from bottom but stopping short by about 1" to intersection of separate hole drilled from spout opening. This is called cross drilling. I then used a small burr to clean up transition down inside where the two holes met...had 'just' enough length on burr to get this done.
The spout on the creamer was done by leaving alot of extra stock to be carved away leaving only the small pour 'lip' remaming. I don't think this was the one you were curious about...but didn't want to guess which spout was meant.
Hope that helps.
The hardest part is drilling by hand, with 'eyeball' guesses as to straightness of holes.

Prashun Patel
09-06-2011, 11:02 AM
Really beautiful. Good luck (and thanks for the Hollowmaster advice!)