PDA

View Full Version : My first successful cast

Todd Trebuna
09-05-2011, 9:37 PM
SO have been trying to cast. These are the first successful cast pens I've made. I've had trouble turning them down,but it's getting better. Learning how to sharpen a skew has worked wonders. ;)

Baxter Smith
09-06-2011, 12:18 AM
Very pretty Todd! Congrats on the casting!

Todd Trebuna
09-06-2011, 5:29 AM
Thank You Baxter!

Paul Heely
09-06-2011, 6:44 AM
Todd, the casting looks great. It looks like you are getting the skew down pretty well. Sharp is essential with the skew.

Paul

Steve Schlumpf
09-06-2011, 8:01 AM
Looks like you got the process figured out quite well! Nice looking pens!

Jim Burr
09-06-2011, 9:15 AM
Cool Todd!!! I spent the better part of yesterday casting blanks, I sure like the redish one. What problem are you having with the turning...chipping maybe?

Chris Burgess
09-06-2011, 10:28 AM
Those look great. I actually did my first cast this weekend.....DISASTER. I used plastic cups and they MELTED. Got some waxed Paper cups and they seem to be working better. My first attempt was to be a Blue w/ yellow swirl but I got a Teal w/ yellow spots. The second was to be black and white but I think I over stirred and got a lot of grey but it still looks good. just cast 3 more w/ the lessons learned so far and hope they come out better.

Bernie Weishapl
09-06-2011, 10:39 AM
Looks like you got the casting down. Really great looking pens.

Todd Trebuna
09-06-2011, 12:22 PM
Cool Todd!!! I spent the better part of yesterday casting blanks, I sure like the redish one. What problem are you having with the turning...chipping maybe?

Yeah, Jim. The blank kept blowing out and when it didn't instead of shaving it, it pretty much chipped it off.