PDA

View Full Version : Mesquite Root HF

Kathy Marshall
09-05-2011, 9:25 PM
I cut off a section of one of the 6" diameter mesquite roots that I got last week and turned this little hf today.
The plan was to turn a hf that was wider at the top (heartshaped), but because of the size of the log, there wasn't enough meat to turn the top portion round and have much diameter. I was going for a NE with bark, but when I was drilling the center the bark just peeled right off. The inner bark on this stuff is very soft and stringy, very hard to cut on the endgrain. The only way to get a clean cut on the outside was to soak it with CA, make a cut, soak it with CA, make a cut, etc., until I got a clean cut at the diameter I wanted. The inner bark is what let loose when I drilled the center. I left the natural edge and darkened the rim, but I think I should have skipped the darkening part.

4 1/2" x 4 1/2" with just a coat of BLO so far.
206929206928 206927
Thanks for looking!
Comments and critiques are welcome.

Bernie Weishapl
09-05-2011, 9:26 PM
Wow Kathy that is beautiful. The heart/sapwood contrast really sets that piece off. Form and finish look good.

David E Keller
09-05-2011, 9:35 PM
I love this piece, Kathy! I think I agree with you about the opening... A few careful cuts with an exacto knife would get you back to au natural if you're so inclined.

Nate Davey
09-05-2011, 9:48 PM
That is the most amazing piece of mesquite I've ever seen and the form you chose showcases it beautifully. Great job, Kathy.

Tim Rinehart
09-05-2011, 10:23 PM
I love this piece, Kathy! I think I agree with you about the opening... A few careful cuts with an exacto knife would get you back to au natural if you're so inclined.
Why am I not surprised there would be a surgical solution to your dilemma Kathy! Good looking piece, nice use of sapwood.

charlie knighton
09-05-2011, 10:28 PM
nice form, great wood

Kathy, what did you finish the sapwood with, CA??????? good job of keeping the color

Scott Hackler
09-05-2011, 10:41 PM
Kathy that is fantastic! I love the saddled sap wood and the natural edged opening. Great job.

Mike Willeson
09-05-2011, 10:42 PM
Very nice Kathy. The yellow and brown came out nicely balanced. Must have been frustrating to turn though....

Thomas Canfield
09-05-2011, 10:43 PM
Nicely done. I don't think that I have ever seen that much sap wood on a piece of Mesquite and I saw plenty ranching in South Texas way back. What diameter a piece of root was this cut from.

Chris Burgess
09-05-2011, 10:55 PM
I knew it, that is amazing. Very nice work Kathy!!

Kathy Marshall
09-05-2011, 10:58 PM
Thanks guys!
While it looks alot like regular mesquite wood, the more of it I turn, the more differences I notice.
It's harder than reg mesquite, somewhat similar to marblewood in texture, but it cuts easily. I did a couple of small bowls from the same branch and figured I must have been useing good technique because there was no tearout on the endgrain, none, nada, zip. There are times on other turnings where I've gotten by with little to no tearout, but having a little bit is pretty common for me and just clean it up with a shear scrape.
This piece has the pith in near the bottom on one side, and even hours later there's no sign of any pith cracks whatsoever. Mesquite typically has small cracks in the pith before the tree is even taken down, and if it doesn't then they open up fairly quickly afterwards (they just usually stay small).
It did take more sanding than reg mesquite, but sanded up to a nice finish. I used alot more pressure when sanding than normal, but no heat buildup.
Can't wait to get into the stump!

nice form, great wood

Kathy, what did you finish the sapwood with, CA??????? good job of keeping the color
Charlie, the only finish on the piece so far is BLO. CA was used only on the bark edge to get clean cuts on the inner bark but the CA went bye-bye when the bark went.

Kathy Marshall
09-05-2011, 11:04 PM
Nicely done. I don't think that I have ever seen that much sap wood on a piece of Mesquite and I saw plenty ranching in South Texas way back. What diameter a piece of root was this cut from.
Thanks Thomas!
The root piece this came from was 6" diameter, but I've got others up to 12" and a giant root stump (posted in another thread). Just playing with the smaller pieces until I get the stump cut up.

Baxter Smith
09-06-2011, 12:06 AM
Cool colors Kathy! The way you balanced the sapwood makes all the difference!

John Keeton
09-06-2011, 7:38 AM
Great work, Kathy, but I do agree on the edge being left natural. There will be more!;) The sapwood orientation makes this piece special.

Steve Schlumpf
09-06-2011, 8:06 AM
I do like the form on this! Having the opening darkened does highlight the sapwood but I agree that it may have looked better if just left natural!

Looking forward to seeing more of the root forms!

Michelle Rich
09-06-2011, 8:32 AM
yep sometimes we want to "improve" ol mom nature & it's hard as heck to let stuff be....but a gorgeous colored vessel

Paul Heely
09-06-2011, 8:46 AM
Nice job balancing the heart and sap woods. Love the contrast between them, too. I also think the opening would look good if left natural.

Paul

Rick Markham
09-06-2011, 4:46 PM
Kathy I really love this one. It's spectacular. Very well done, I love the contrast in this one, and the shape looks like it would feel perfect in the hand.

My only question is how did you manage to turn a perfectly square paper towel? :D (I know, I always have to be a wise guy :P)

Kathy Marshall
09-06-2011, 5:49 PM
Kathy I really love this one. It's spectacular. Very well done, I love the contrast in this one, and the shape looks like it would feel perfect in the hand. My only question is how did you manage to turn a perfectly square paper towel? :D (I know, I always have to be a wise guy :P)That was the hard part, that lil ole piece of wood was the easy part lol.I had just brought it in from the shop and didn't want it to bleed any BLO on my backdrop.

robert raess
09-06-2011, 6:11 PM
Kathy, I like everything about this pc. , but especially the mouth and the form. I'm curious, how did you finish the bottom.On the topic of 'is it mesquite'?..Could this be cultivated or nursery mesquite?I've done 1000's of sq. ft. of mesquite flooring, and it's all shades of russett or gray red.Of course all my mesquite for floors is coming from Texas or Mexico.I have heard, that it's all 'prosopis glandulosa' but there are regional differences due to regional minerals in soil.tho i have been told by a bontanist that is hooey..in the flooring industry tho, they recognize minerals streaks in there definition of grades....So, i'm really curious!

Kathy Marshall
09-07-2011, 12:42 AM
Kathy, I like everything about this pc. , but especially the mouth and the form. I'm curious, how did you finish the bottom.On the topic of 'is it mesquite'?..Could this be cultivated or nursery mesquite?I've done 1000's of sq. ft. of mesquite flooring, and it's all shades of russett or gray red.Of course all my mesquite for floors is coming from Texas or Mexico.I have heard, that it's all 'prosopis glandulosa' but there are regional differences due to regional minerals in soil.tho i have been told by a bontanist that is hooey..in the flooring industry tho, they recognize minerals streaks in there definition of grades....So, i'm really curious!
Thanks Robert!
I'll liked this shape once I was finished turning it, but I swear I get to liking it more and more every time I walk by it! I think I'll be revisiting this shape again!
As far as the mesquite, this is Chilean mesquite (Prosopis chilensis) so it is a cultivated/nursery variety (heavily, heavily planted in Phx), Prosopis glandulosa is Texas honey mesquite (also grown in Phx but on a much smaller scale). I have only turned chilean mesquite so far, and it does vary in color from tree to tree, some are lighter, some are redder, some have more of a grayish cast. I hear AZ native mesquite (prosopis velutina) is lighter in color, but haven't seen any to verify.
To turn the bottom I used a jam chuck (basically a spindle that was smaller diameter than the opening), pressure with the tailstock centers it and holds it. The only part of the piece touching the jam chuck is the inside bottom against the end of the spindle. Then I finish the bottom except for a small nub under the live center which I take off with a small carving chisel off the lathe and then hand sand that spot.