PDA

View Full Version : Quick shop organization project

Matt Meiser
09-05-2011, 6:12 PM
When I had my Biesemeyer overarm guard I always hung my hearing protection and dust mask over the arm. Since I sold that and went to a Shark Guard, they've been floating around the shop--you know, on the J/P table, on the TS extension table, on the router table, on the floor under the TS. OK, mostly on the floor under the TS. Inspiration struck the other day and I threw this together today. All MDF and plywood scraps, pins, screws, and glue. And in a spot my daughter can reach when we are working in the yard with power equipment and I send her to get the ear muffs.

Joe Angrisani
09-06-2011, 9:15 AM
How's it supported, Matt? Just at the top where it screws to the blast gate frame? Or is it attached at the bottom, too (and if so, how)?

Thanks....

Eric DeSilva
09-06-2011, 9:30 AM
Nice. I need one of those. With an outrigger or something for safety glasses. I keep finding them in odd places when I don't need them, but they never are obvious when I do.

Matt Meiser
09-06-2011, 9:39 AM
Yep, just attached to the blast gate. After thinking about it last night, I'll probably cut a saddle piece and attach that to the pipe for additional support lower down and prevent the backer from sagging over time. Maybe just glue the saddle to the pipe with some caulk. The drop is very sold--hangs down from the ceiling and all joints are screwed so I'm not worried about the strength there.

Eric for the safety glasses, you could just make some MDF ears and a dowel nose. :D

Glad to give out an idea or two. Its not fine woodworking by any means but stuff like this always gives me an idea for my own shop.

If I get a chance to make it this week, I also came up with an idea for my push blocks which don't have a home now that I've got a J/P. When I had a planer I could just set them on the outfeed table, but now when I flip the tables up, they fall off behind. the machine. You know, right by where I used to keep the ear muffs :)

Jim Neeley
09-06-2011, 3:46 PM
Great idea, Matt. I have the same issue; those hearing protectors and dust masks love to hide. I don't have the permanent DC but you've got me thinking about making a bracket to hang just under the edge of the end of my workbench.

Thanks!

Jim

glenn bradley
09-06-2011, 4:22 PM
Cool rig Matt. I keep a set back by the tablesaw/jointer planer area and another set up by the bandsaw DP area. The respirator hides near the bench too for no reason I can recall ;-)

Jerome Hanby
09-07-2011, 10:57 AM
How are you routing the hose to the Shark Guard? I had the not so bright idea of splitting off the dust collection port on the back of my saw (all home made) and hooking up there, but realized (duh) that the hose would be blocking the rear of the saw where the wood needs to slide through. Considered trying to build a "U" shaped arrangement to go down the saw beneath the table level then come back above table level. Think I saw something similar on a Unisaw once upon a time... Trying to avoid hanging from the ceiling so the saw stays somewhat moveable.

Matt Meiser
09-07-2011, 1:49 PM
Jerome, here's a photo of how I set it up. Still technically "overarm" but the arm us much higher and doesn't get in the way if I want to use the router table in the extension (I haven't since) and the DC is much better. Its hard to see in the photo, but there's a cable to the ceiling that supports the weight of the arm that attaches near the 90 degree elbow.

Jerome Hanby
09-07-2011, 2:41 PM
Thanks for the picture, Matt. Looks like the PVC is plenty stiff enough. Think I'll do something similar except support the arm from the right hand side of the saw. Saw someone using a piece of UHMW for that task... And that would give me an excuse to box in under the wing and rails on that size to make more storage!.