PDA

View Full Version : An Artisan with Cocobolo...

Kevin L Little
09-05-2011, 4:41 PM
I've been looking for a kit that would allow either a magnetic cap or snap top as a customer is not wanting one with the postable cap on threads. So I had a couple Artisan's in inventory and decided to try this kit. It was a fun kit to put together, but definately not my favorite.

The cocobolo has been sanded to 400 grit, wiped with DNA, 2 applications of cellulose sanding sealer, 2 coats of thin CA, 4 coats of medium CA/BLO then Novus 2 applied. I wanted a satin finish so it didn't compete with the gold.

I like the finish and may do more of this on future pens.
Thanks in advance for looking and comments. The vortex has a hold of my wallet and is pulling me in fast! But having a blast doing this!
:D
http://www.penturners.org/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=59190&d=1315255092

http://www.penturners.org/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=59189&d=1315255092

Jim Burr
09-05-2011, 5:20 PM
Nice work Kevin!!
I have a few idea for you on that kit. I talked to Brad at CSUSA about some different plating options for that pen...not gonna happen. Ok, so I made that style for a few years as a give away pen. They aren't cheap...but at the time I thought they were cool. I saw one last week that I'd made 4 years ago and I felt bad. Yours is a good pen!! Form is right on and the fit looks very nice. Anything Ti is great, but at about 1300 pens...gold doesn't work for me much. There are some Master pen guys in Canada that I respect..really...and they like gold on the darker woods. Try out different platings and colorings...see what you like and go from there! After all that....well done sir!

Kevin L Little
09-05-2011, 6:22 PM
Jim,
I agree, the kit should be available in other finishes. But the gold is all they have currently.
I tend to place gold on darker woods as well, but have gone more for gun metals, chrome, rhodium and Ti finishes.
The kits aren't that cheap compared to some of the others that don't have a end grain finial on the cap end. Especially with a cap that gets removed.

Thanks for the input and comment. I appreciate the feedback.

Regards

Lee Koepke
09-05-2011, 7:48 PM
nice job on that Kevin. I agree with you ... the Artisan is OK, but not my favorite, sometimes the snapping action is a bit difficult and if you dont get the plastic thingy just right, it will work the cap loose when closing.

They look pretty sharp though!!!! I like the fact they are a bit slimmer than, say, the Jr Gents II, and so far many of my customers seem to like slimmer pens.

Bernie Weishapl
09-05-2011, 9:05 PM
Great job on the pen. Really a nice finish on it.