PDA

View Full Version : All American Handyman

John Fabre
09-05-2011, 3:19 PM
Has anyone seen this show? Looks like their using power tools too unsafe.

Joe Angrisani
09-06-2011, 9:12 AM
I watched two shows (barely) last season as we like what Mike Holmes and that other guy do with finishes on their own shows. Some of the contestants were idiots. Certainly far from knowledgable craftsman.

Steve Wurster
09-06-2011, 2:14 PM
I still think it's funny that a show titled "All American Handyman" is judged by two guys from Canada.

Eric DeSilva
09-06-2011, 2:26 PM
Why? Last time I checked, Canada was in North America.

Eric DeSilva
09-06-2011, 2:29 PM
I saw part of an episode over the weekend. It seemed like the contest was actually drawing from the field of amateurs, not pro's, although a lot seemed to be in related trades. Still, I don't think the contestants were being held out as knowledgeable craftsmen--just skilled weekend warriors.

Aaron Berk
09-06-2011, 2:52 PM
I saw a few from the last season, haven't caught this new one yet.

I find it very amusing and entertaining.

Kevin Womer
09-06-2011, 4:15 PM
Haven't heard of it will have to see if I can get it on the DVR.

Jay Allen
09-06-2011, 8:15 PM
I watched it last season and was shocked by the lack of skill. How do they find these poeple?

Victor Robinson
09-06-2011, 8:43 PM
I watched it last season, but haven't tuned in this season as I found the skills/information/challenges somewhat unimpressive. A fellow on another WW forum I frequent is one of the contestants this season, wonder how he's doing.

Joe Jensen
09-06-2011, 11:54 PM
It's my understanding that
a) reality shows for the most part are scripted
b) most cast members on reality shows are budding actors and actresses with agents.

I guess those folks aren't very handy :)

Lee Schierer
09-07-2011, 12:29 PM
I watched last season and found it interesting. I caught the first show this season and plan to watch more. It appears that the talent pool is more diverse as some didn't seem to have much in the way of design or cabinet making skills. I'm not sure how I would fare given the time limits to complete the given tasks. You have limited materials and severely limited time. Plus they keep sticking a camera in your face. It also isn't clear if they have enough tools that you don't have to wait to get your cuts done.

John Fabre
09-16-2011, 4:15 AM
Just seen another one, I'm predicting the lady with blond hair wins.

A fellow on another WW forum I frequent is one of the contestants this season, wonder how he's doing.
Victor, have you found out how that fellow is doing?

Victor Robinson
09-16-2011, 2:24 PM
Just seen another one, I'm predicting the lady with blond hair wins.

Victor, have you found out how that fellow is doing?

He's still in the running. Of course, I assume he already knows how far he gets as the show was probably filmed in its entirety months ago. But he can't disclose anything other than asking his forum-mates to tune in each week.

Tom Hargrove
09-19-2011, 5:08 PM
I watched and episode or two last year, and other than for one or two of the competitors, close-ups of the finished projects were painful to see on and HDTV screen!

I believe Joe's comments are probably true - the participants are actors or wannabe's trying out for a slot on a "DIY" show on their way to Hollywood. None of them appear to be over 45, overweight, gray haired (or balding) or exceptionally skilled with hand or powertools.

Paul Steiner
09-19-2011, 9:51 PM
I actually applied for this show and was turned down because was considered a professional. I teach woodwork at a high school, I work on my own house and I have gotten paid as a handyman, but I am not a full time contractor. The e-mail I received said they wanted "diy amatuer skill set".
This leads me to paradox of this show:
1. Handymen generally get paid, but the all American handyman has to be an amatuer.
2. Also it is the all American handyman-filmed in Canada and judged by Canadiens.
3. They put time constraints on the competitors, that professionals would never be under.

Tom is exactly right I they are looking for faces, personality, then a little skill. If you have the on camera presence they have an expert that will tell you what to say.