PDA

View Full Version : Pay attention to the little voice inside your head

Wayne Hendrix
09-05-2011, 2:49 PM
You know the one that says if you try to make this cut on the table saw the wood is going to do this and your hand is going to go here and then you are going to go to the ER. Don't think that it won't happen to you, listen to that voice, cause the wood is going to do exactly that and your hand is going to go exactly there and then you are going to go to the ER.

I am not going to say what I was doing cause it was really, really dumb and I don't care to hear it from everyone. The point is there was a little voice in my head telling me exactly what was going to happen and I chose not to listen to it. Fortunately, I am still a member of the fully functioning 10 finger club, I will just be in a splint and with a few stitches for the next couple weeks. I was really lucky, I should have lost my thumb.

Listen to the little voice.

Oh and it's voice singular. Not voices, don't listen to them, they get you into trouble.

David Nelson1
09-05-2011, 3:54 PM
Good advise Wayne I had a feeling like that earlier this week fornunate for me I wasn't hurt. Sorry that you got injured.

glenn bradley
09-05-2011, 3:59 PM
Listen to the little voice.

Oh and it's voice singular. Not voices, don't listen to them, they get you into trouble.

Good advice on both counts. Have we had any posts that say things like; "after carefully setting up my cut and applying all required or recommended safety devices; every thing went wrong!"?

Glad it wasn't too bad. Thanks for sharing. We can ALL fail to listen to that little voice at some time or another. Constant reminders help.

As to not listening to the voices . . . . I'm working on that one.

Carl Beckett
09-05-2011, 5:26 PM
Thanks for the reminder Wayne, and glad it wasn't a more expensive lesson.

A lot of us have been there. My thumb snaps when I bend it now and I happy to have it to snap. My little voice wasn't working at the time, but in hindsight I figured out what I was doing that I shouldn't have been.

In the motorcycle riding forums they have a slogan : ATGATT. All the gear all the time?

Should be something like that for woodworking, and this forum is the the place to come up with a catchy acronym to remind us?

Let's hear them?

(sorry for the spacing, the iPad doesn't recognize the return function when posting)

Wayne Hendrix
09-05-2011, 5:48 PM
Thanks for the reminder Wayne, and glad it wasn't a more expensive lesson.

A lot of us have been there. My thumb snaps when I bend it now and I happy to have it to snap. My little voice wasn't working at the time, but in hindsight I figured out what I was doing that I shouldn't have been.

In the motorcycle riding forums they have a slogan : ATGATT. All the gear all the time?

Should be something like that for woodworking, and this forum is the the place to come up with a catchy acronym to remind us?

Let's hear them?

(sorry for the spacing, the iPad doesn't recognize the return function when posting)

All The Gear All The Time, I ride and whole-heartily believe in it, my wife escaped serious injury in a minor accident because of it .

I think the point I was trying to make with my post is that the best safety device is the one between our ears and in this case it was doing its job but I was purposely ignoring it. That's why I am not discussing what I did, its not germaine. I knew it was dumb, everyone on here knows it's dumb and I did it anyway, despite my brain screaming at me that it wasn't going to end well. We talk all the time about guards and safety devices and such but even with all that if it doesn't feel right don't do it.

Paul McGaha
09-05-2011, 5:55 PM
Thank's for the advice Wayne.

Glad your injury wasnt as bad as it could have been.

PHM

Robert Chapman
09-05-2011, 8:45 PM
The motorcycle analogy is a good one - I ride and I'll add another perspective - There are days when I get on the bike and just feel awkward - so I go home. There are days when I go to my shop and just feel awkward - I go back to the house and do something else.

johnny means
09-06-2011, 2:38 AM
Wayne, you know the rule, no pictures, didn't happen:DI was about to post my latest little reminder about shop safety. Lets just say it involved flip flops in the shop. Like you i knew it was a bad idea, but...

Brian Kent
09-06-2011, 9:57 AM
Thank you Wayne, and I hope your healing is quick and complete.

Yesterday's voices:
Switch shoes. My sandals were slipping at the heels.
Micro-splitter finally broke after 4-5 years of use - no more cuts until I made a new ZCI and splitter.
Band saw set-up did not look stable - do it another way that gives more control.
Band saw tire slipped - no more cuts until it is replaced and not just scooted back in place.

Ken Fitzgerald
09-06-2011, 10:10 AM
May your recovery be speedy!

Always listen to that little voice........Always!

Neil Brooks
09-06-2011, 10:24 AM
It was hot, the other day, and -- like always -- when I headed out to ride MY motorcycle -- I considered whether or not to go ATGATT.

And -- like always -- I chose to sweat a bit, and feel better protected.

Very good analogy, and very sound advice.

When there's a doubt ... there really isn't a doubt: take the safer route.

Heal quickly, and thanks for the reminder.

Rod Sheridan
09-06-2011, 11:40 AM
Wayne, I'm glad to hear that it wasn't more serious, and that you're healing.

Yes it's important to listen to that little voice, and to do the ATGATT thing, we'll just have to change it to "All The Guards, All The Time".........Regards, Rod.

Jim Laumann
09-06-2011, 11:48 AM
Wayne

Hope you get well quick.....

That little voice saved my eyes a couple weeks back - was using a angle grinder to clean up some sharp edges on some metal - some how I got the grinder twisted around.....had not the safety googles been on, I would have had red hot metal bits in my eyes.

Jim

David Keast
09-06-2011, 1:44 PM
Sorry to hear you got hurt, get well soon. ...and thanks for the reminder.

Peter Aeschliman
09-06-2011, 2:16 PM
Absolutely great advice. I have a big harry potter scar on my forehead because I ignored that voice while using the table saw 3 weeks ago...

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?170208-Kickback-Hurts!-(WARNING!-GORY-PICTURES!!)&highlight= (http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?170208-Kickback-Hurts%21-%28WARNING%21-GORY-PICTURES%21%21%29&highlight=)

Bill Edwards(2)
09-07-2011, 7:14 AM
The only tablesaw accident I've had was while doing a DIY project
that I'd been at all day and it was much later in the day.

Unfortunately my inner voice had gone to bed.
I got kicked in the gut, by of course, a kick back.
Broke the skin and left me sore for several days.

I don't work past "tired" anymore.:o

Mike Cruz
09-07-2011, 8:07 AM
Glad to see you can still type! Unless you are hunting and pecking, it wasn't "too" bad.

Thanks for the reminder. I need it...

John Coloccia
09-07-2011, 8:38 AM
My wife tells me, "Now Johnny, before you do something imagine a little stop sign in your head...". To reinforce the point, she made a little stop sign and tacked it up in my shop :)

Lee Schierer
09-07-2011, 12:47 PM
Glad you will heal soon.

I heard the voice and ignored it............paid the price with 21 stitches in my little finger and several weeks with no shop time.

I also will leave the shop after a dumb mistake so the frustration doesn't cause a disaster.

You don't want to work when tired either.

Mike Cruz
09-07-2011, 1:24 PM
John, I thought you were going to say that she tacked it on your forehead! Might be painful, but it would certainly be a constant reminder...

Wayne Hendrix
09-07-2011, 3:27 PM
Glad to see you can still type! Unless you are hunting and pecking, it wasn't "too" bad.

Thanks for the reminder. I need it...

It's just four stitches, and a splint to immobilize the thumb so I don't pull out the stitches. The sad thing about my typing is that it hasn't been affected that much, which says a lot about my lack of typing ability.

I heard the voice and ignored it............

So did I. That is why I posted this, to remind people to listen to that voice. Every time I ignore it I pay the price.

Peter Quinn
09-07-2011, 9:10 PM
Wayne, you know the rule, no pictures, didn't happen:DI was about to post my latest little reminder about shop safety. Lets just say it involved flip flops in the shop. Like you i knew it was a bad idea, but...

Man, I did the same basic thing just last week! I said to myself "Don't go into the shop with sandals on fool, you will hurt your toe..." But of course I never listen to me, and I was just going in for a second, and just to peek and make sure the glue on an assembly was drying, sometimes that pesky glue dries better with the lights on you know! Oh look, perfect time to get a little squeeze out off the end here, I just need to loosen and move this clamp a bit to get at that glue booger there, almost, just a bit to the left with this clamp over here too and.....Ouch, &^^%#@@@@#, who the ((**&&^^% put that huge heavy caul under these clamp!!!!! Ouch my toe....

Tightened clamps, left caul on floor, turned off lights, hobbled back u to the house to ice my big toe.

Wayne, I sincerely wish you a speedy recovery. I wish that little voice in my head packed a bit more of a punch some times, perhaps a self dope slap would work better? Perhaps if I hear your voice and mine next time the chorus effect will get my attention? Or should I ignore that given its multiples?

Larry Edgerton
09-08-2011, 5:56 AM
My little voice keeps telling me to ride a BMW around Australia, but my little voice has not come up with a check yet.......

I'm a slow learner, took me a few tries to learn about that little voice.

Glad all is well.....

Larry

John Coloccia
09-08-2011, 2:49 PM
John, I thought you were going to say that she tacked it on your forehead! Might be painful, but it would certainly be a constant reminder...

Don't be silly. I can't see it if it's on my forehead. I'm sure she would have loved to, though.