PDA

View Full Version : SEC Football

Paul McGaha
09-05-2011, 1:57 PM
Who do you think will be good in the SEC this year?

Being from Louisiana I'm an LSU fan. I think, If we can get at least average play out of our qb (Better than he played against Oregon) We are going to be a force this year.

Just based on who they lost to the NFL, I'm thinking Auburn and Alabama will drop off at least a little.

PHM

Belinda Barfield
09-05-2011, 2:56 PM
I'm guessing Georgia is going to have a "rebuilding year".

Al Wasser
09-05-2011, 5:10 PM
I gave up watching or caring about semi pro football years ago

Kent A Bathurst
09-05-2011, 5:16 PM
I'm guessing Georgia is going to have a "rebuilding year".

Belinda - you mean a season spent figuring out who the next coach is going to be. They lost to Boise St. Stevie Superior is coming to town to kick some tail - the only coach ever to hang 50 on the Dawgs in Athens.. Then a walk over Coastal Carolina. Then Ol Miss - a toss-up. Then a spanking at Miss State.

Richt is a dead man walking, IMO.

John Lohmann
09-05-2011, 7:05 PM
I think UGA may lose to a poor NFL coach & then run the table. Finish 10-2, but I love the dawgs.

Belinda Barfield
09-05-2011, 7:26 PM
Belinda - you mean a season spent figuring out who the next coach is going to be. They lost to Boise St. Stevie Superior is coming to town to kick some tail - the only coach ever to hang 50 on the Dawgs in Athens.. Then a walk over Coastal Carolina. Then Ol Miss - a toss-up. Then a spanking at Miss State.

Richt is a dead man walking, IMO.

Dead man walking in my book.

I think UGA may lose to a poor NFL coach & then run the table. Finish 10-2, but I love the dawgs.

I like your thought process here John.

Neal Clayton
09-05-2011, 10:22 PM
Arkansas is up and coming. Watch out for them. The successor to Ryan Mallett threw for 350 yards and 4 TDs in two quarters against Auburn last year when Mallett got hurt during the game. And they have the best group of receivers in the nation, hands down.

If Spurrier is ever going to do anything at SC, this is the year. Senior QB, experienced recievers, arguably the best RB in the SEC. This is his shot.

Miss State is up and coming too. I don't put a lot of faith in the Urban Meyer type offense they run but they have defense to go with it.

LSU people were worried about their defense missing Peterson and a linebacker to suspension? Don't know why, they looked better than they were a year ago vs Oregon.

Saban has offensive problems, he played two QBs in the opener and I heard each of them threw 2 picks. We shall see week 4 vs the Hogs.

Florida is a wild card with Charlie Weiss down there. Who knows.

And what about aTm + one more coming to the SEC? I don't see how that can be avoided. If no other Big 12 team takes the bait I don't see how Clemson can turn it down. Seems inevitable to me. The Aggies want in, we just need one more to even up the number.

Kent A Bathurst
09-06-2011, 10:50 AM
Nah - I don't think Clemson helps the SEC at all. They already have all of the South Carolina TV viewers they need. Plus, I'd guess that SC would put up a stink, just like Fla would with the prospect of FSU.

The 2 biggies that are up for grabs IMO are Missouri and Oklahoma. OK would be a toughie, because they want to hang with the TX crowd and OSU. Missouri is the big prize, I think,in terms of adding recruiting territory and TV sets. They're 100+ year rivalry with Nebraska makes me think Big 10+2 for them, though [who then adds someone like Syracuse, Rutgers, WVa - Rutgers is the TV prize in that group].

Oh - I left out Texas, because they aren't up for grabs - if they are going to move, it is them that will make the phone call to their conference of choice, and dictate their terms -

So - for the SEC, it gets confusing..maybe raid the Big East - WVa or USF - they looked pretty good this week. The ACC is always a possibility

Zach England
09-06-2011, 11:28 AM
Beware the dark horse: Mississippi State

Just sayin'

Tom Winship
09-06-2011, 11:55 AM
You guys hang on. The Aggies are coming (hopefully). Lots of articles over here about how they think the Aggies would be a better fit in the SEC than the BigXII.

Kent A Bathurst
09-06-2011, 12:13 PM
Tom - I agree, and I'm looking forward to it. Understand........I am a Big 10+2 guy all the way, but I enjoy this quaint form of club-level football they play here in these parts :D:D:D. ****

The Aggies are a perfect fit from both sides, IMO. They said to UT..........well, no, that won't get by the mods...............uhhhh.....nope....that one won't either..........ahhhh, well....they said "We have had enough of your Big 12 stuff, kowtowing to the 'Horns, and we are taking a bunch of TV sets to the SEC, and we are giving the SEC an even bigger inroad to the recruits in Texas, so just stick the Longhorn Network in your ear, and we'll gladly pay the $12million good-bye fee. We. Are. Done. With. This. Crap." I applaud them, and am glad to see them coming.

****yeah, yeah, yeah...don't even start on me...I am fully aware of the records in the BCS between the 2 conferences. SEC team are more skilled at bending/breaking the rules than the Big 10+2 - but we are learning.

Kent A Bathurst
09-07-2011, 11:29 AM
SEC accepts Texas A&M; Baylor temporarily stands in way

Full article, @ SI dot com: http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2011/football/ncaa/09/07/texasam.sec/index.html#ixzz1XHTlVHpp

"A threat of legal action by Baylor has, at least temporarily, held up Texas A&M's move to the SEC. The SEC's presidents voted unanimously Tuesday night to extend an invitation to Texas A&M to become the league's 13th member, but that invitation is contingent upon all of Texas A&M's Big 12 counterparts waiving their right to a legal challenge.

A source said Baylor had broken ranks with the remaining Big 12 members, which decided last week to waive their right to legally challenge a move by Texas A&M. In a statement, Florida president Bernie Machen, the chair of the SEC's presidents group, said the SEC would not accept Texas A&M as a member until the potential legal roadblocks were cleared. "

They will end up in a raft with no motor, adrift on the seas, with their buddies KU and KSU.....................I bet they want money, eh?

Tom Winship
09-07-2011, 7:56 PM
I don't think Ken Starr (now Pres. of Baylor) has read the scripture which says you won't bring suit against your brother.
And they had granted A&M permission on Sept. 2. Oh well, lots of money for someone.

Neal Clayton
09-08-2011, 7:36 AM
i saw all of this once with the southwest conference when SMU destroyed it.

Baylor has a point. the problem is, when the UTs and OKs, and aTms of the world move, what happens to the Baylors and such left behind? they wind up having to take up residence in conferences that never get any TV games, that's what. they are worse off than how they started, through no fault of their own. it happened to Rice, Houston, and TCU last time.

Brent Ring
09-08-2011, 12:35 PM
How about those Cougars from BYU? :eek:

Donny Lawson
09-08-2011, 6:06 PM
I'm a DAWG fan. Win or lose I will still be a fan. Go you harry DAWGS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! kick some butt.

Caspar Hauser
09-08-2011, 6:25 PM
I didn't realise that the Securities & Exchange Commission was involved in sports.

Caspar Hauser
09-08-2011, 9:13 PM
Ok, so if the SEC isn't the SEC, what is the SEC?

Belinda Barfield
09-09-2011, 11:55 AM
Southeastern Conference!

Caspar Hauser
09-10-2011, 5:43 AM
That's a relief!

Though when you think about it would have explained a few things.

Paul McGaha
09-10-2011, 2:43 PM
I really dont know anything about why or why not a university would want to join the SEC. If you guys can educate me on this I would appreciate it.

Texas A and M seems to want to join the SEC once their legal issues are cleared up. I'm sure they would make a good addtion to the group and the SEC seems to be welcoming them.

What I'm seeing on TV is the SEC wants or needs another university to go along with Texas A and M and bring them in as a pair. All kinds of good schools out there that would be great to have. Florida State would be great. Clemson also. Maybe another school from Texas. Georgia Tech was a founding member of the SEC and left the conference in 1964. Maybe they would want to come back.

PHM

Neal Clayton
09-11-2011, 1:24 AM
quite simply, money.

the SEC has exclusive games on CBS and a good majority of the ESPN games as well. an average SEC team will get 3 or 4 nationally televised games per year. an average big 12 team will get one or two, if they have a long standing rivalry that people pay attention to.

Kent A Bathurst
09-11-2011, 8:06 PM
dollars, dollars, dollars, recruits, recruits, recruits, TV market, TV market, TV market, dollars, dollars, dollars, recruits, recruits, recruits, TV market, TV market, TV market,dollars, dollars, dollars, recruits, recruits, recruits, TV market, TV market, TV market................ad nauseum

Rick Moyer
09-12-2011, 5:27 PM
That's right. Those SEC football players are expensive!! :D

Jim Heikes
09-12-2011, 5:53 PM
The Thursday night game at Mississippi State could be a good indicator whether LSU is the cream of the SEC. The Tigers' defense will be the key to their season. DB Tyrann Mathieu is one of the best in college football this year.

Eddie Watkins
09-12-2011, 7:23 PM
aTm(that's the Texas A&M helmet logo) has been accepted by SEC. I have heard that Missouri may also be going to the SEC with Texas, Oklahoma, Oklahoma State and Texas Tech going to the Pac-12. KSU, KU ISU, and Baylor will probably end up with Conference USA or Big East. This is all just rumors and Texas could decide to be an independent. It would probably help with recruiting in Texas for Arkansas, Mississippi State and Ole Miss.

Paul McGaha
09-12-2011, 8:29 PM
It will be a test for them. Their 1st SEC game this year. I'm more worried about the qb play. I think the defense is going to be ok. Looked ok againgst Oregon.

Surprised how good Alabama looked against Penn State. They looked about like last years Alabama team to me.

PHM

The Thursday night game at Mississippi State could be a good indicator whether LSU is the cream of the SEC. The Tigers' defense will be the key to their season. DB Tyrann Mathieu is one of the best in college football this year.

Gary Hodgin
09-13-2011, 1:50 AM
Unfortunately, Alabama and LSU look like powerhouses again this year. The Vols play both. I'll be surprised if bama doesn't win another title, but it's a long season and things can happen.

Neal Clayton
09-13-2011, 2:40 PM
we will see how good saban is in week 4 against the hogs.

LSU we have seen already. their defense is better than it was a year ago, by a lot.

Belinda Barfield
11-20-2011, 9:03 AM
Well, Paul . . . interesting how things turn out. Dawgs #1 in the SEC East and lookin' down the barrel at the LSU game. I thought Georgia Southern played really well against the Tide yesterday. I was real proud of those boys!

Rick Moyer
11-20-2011, 9:22 AM
Unfortunately, Alabama and LSU look like powerhouses again this year. The Vols play both. I'll be surprised if bama doesn't win another title, but it's a long season and things can happen.
Really starting to shape up like that could happen, after this past weekend's top five losers. Assuming LSU beats Georgia, will Bama get a rematch?

Jim O'Dell
11-20-2011, 9:34 AM
It has been a wild ride this week in NCAA play. OSU Cowboys overlooked one hurdle toward their goal of the Bedlam Series...a little team called Iowa State. They just wouldn't give up. But my Alma Mater stepped in and saved the weekend for me. Put OU on their can and closed the year for their dreams. Another team that just wouldn't give up. I know there were some other upsets this weekend and all together it really mixed up the BCS. That's good. Jim.

Bob Turkovich
11-20-2011, 10:27 AM
Really starting to shape up like that could happen, after this past weekend's top five losers. Assuming LSU beats Georgia, will Bama get a rematch?

In 2006, the SEC insisted that there should absolutely, positively be no same-season rematches in the Nat'l Championship Game. Expecting a rematch this year - especially when LSU beat 'Bama at Tuscaloosa - would be blatant hypocrisy. Then again, it wouldn't be much of a surprise. (Not that I'm bitter about 2006, or anything...)

Paul McGaha
11-20-2011, 10:38 AM
Well, Paul . . . interesting how things turn out. Dawgs #1 in the SEC East and lookin' down the barrel at the LSU game. I thought Georgia Southern played really well against the Tide yesterday. I was real proud of those boys!

Hi Belinda,

Was watching a college football show this morning, The LSU/Arkansas game will affect the whole top 10 if LSU loses, starting I guess with who's #1?

I've seen Arkansas play a few games this year, they look like a really good team to me. SEC is so competitive isnt it?

Congratulations on Georgia having a good year.

PHM

Gary Hodgin
11-20-2011, 10:39 AM

I think it likely that there will be a rematch of SEC teams from the west in the national championship now that OK and Oregon have lost 2 games. It looks like that there will be two one loss teams among LSU, Bama, or Arkansas. My guess is that if LSU remains undefeated, it will be LSU-Bama on Jan. 9. If Arkansas beats LSU, then it may be any of the three matched up. I

I don't see Houston or Boise State getting in under any scenario as long as two of three above have only one loss. I may be leaving out somebody. OSU might have a shot if it can beat OK in a convincing way. I'm not sure what Stanford did yesterday, but it might have a chance if it has only one loss. My best guess would be two of the three SEC teams though. I think it ought to be LSU-Bama and I think Bama will win this time.

Personally, I don't care for either one and I'd rather Houston or Boise State will than either of them. I'm a Vol fan and I don't like to see LSU or Bama win, especially Bama. Nevertheless, they are the two best teams so far this year. Arkansas has a shot against LSU. I don't think Auburn has much of a chance against Bama, but that's a tough one to predict.

Paul McGaha
11-20-2011, 10:45 AM
In 2006, the SEC insisted that there should absolutely, positively be no same-season rematches in the Nat'l Championship Game. Expecting a rematch this year - especially when LSU beat 'Bama at Tuscaloosa - would be blatant hypocrisy. Then again, it wouldn't be much of a surprise. (Not that I'm bitter about 2006, or anything...)

Bob,

Just my $.02, but I hope there is a rematch. I think LSU and Alabama are the best teams in the country. Still, If no rematch, I'm sure they will both get to play a high quality team in a bowl game.

PHM

John Lohmann
11-20-2011, 1:50 PM
I think I might be very close

Eddie Watkins
11-20-2011, 5:43 PM
Re-matches are for the losers. I would hate to see a re-match of Alabama/LSU. That game has already been decided. They have done that a few times in the past and I don't bother watching. They need a playoff system because nobody knows who the best team is even after the games are all played. For the record, I'm an Oklahoma State fan but I suspect our chances are dead. Iowa State played possessed and just gave us an old fashioned whipping.

John Lohmann
11-20-2011, 6:02 PM
Re-matches are for the losers. I would hate to see a re-match of Alabama/LSU. That game has already been decided. They have done that a few times in the past and I don't bother watching. They need a playoff system because nobody knows who the best team is even after the games are all played. For the record, I'm an Oklahoma State fan but I suspect our chances are dead. Iowa State played possessed and just gave us an old fashioned whipping. I think the winners are the only ones' that can get a rematch

Michael Weber
11-20-2011, 6:26 PM
All I have to say on the subject is Woooooooo Pig Sooooeeeeee

Paul McGaha
11-20-2011, 6:29 PM
Re-matches are for the losers. I would hate to see a re-match of Alabama/LSU. That game has already been decided. They have done that a few times in the past and I don't bother watching. They need a playoff system because nobody knows who the best team is even after the games are all played. For the record, I'm an Oklahoma State fan but I suspect our chances are dead. Iowa State played possessed and just gave us an old fashioned whipping.

Oh I dont know, I remember some years back a rematch in a bowl game between Florida and Florida State that was worth watching. This was back when Spurrier was coaching Florida.

Agree with you about a playoff system but for now the system thats in place is what they're going to use.

I just hope LSU can get past Arkansas. Another very good team.

PHM

Gary Hodgin
11-20-2011, 6:34 PM
Re-matches per se aren't unusual. They can and do occur in most other sports. Some one plays a team during the season and then again in the playoffs. What is different is the process in NCAA football. NCAA football needs a decent (never perfect) system.

Larry Browning
11-20-2011, 8:27 PM
I am always glad when there is a big mess in the BCS. That just gets us one step closer to a playoff system.
Even though a very extensive playoff system never insures that the best team wins the championship. The perfect example was the 2011 MLB season. I think the best team got beat out in the 1st round. And my Rangers were clearly the better team in the WS. But man! how much fun was it watching it all!!!!??? They could have that same excitement in college football too.

Belinda Barfield
11-21-2011, 7:35 AM
Dang it! We lost Larry Munson, the voice of the Dawgs (retired). Wish he could have made it for one more SEC Championship game.

Kent A Bathurst
11-21-2011, 8:04 AM

Never understood why all my college compadres from that school in East Lansing accuse the Ann Arbor crowd of being a bunch of whiners..............:D :D :D

You'll live. Maybe even thrive. Hoke is the real deal.

Rick Moyer
11-21-2011, 5:29 PM

So you're saying that the NY Giants (who beat the 17-0 Patriots) were the best NFL team that year, or last year's Packers (who were a wild card) were the best team because they won the Super Bowl, or the Phillies shouldn't have played the Cardinals for the pennant because they played 12 times already? Do the two best teams always meet in every playoff system? I don't think so. Isn't the BCS about pitting the two best teams against each other for the championship? I think if LSU wins the SEC championship and Alabama beats Auburn, no other team has demonstrated that they are better than these two teams. I actually would have preferred watching your (undefeated)Cowboys play LSU or Bama to see the off/def matchup, but they lost just like Oklahoma, Oregon, Stanford, etc. Rematches happen all the time in playoff sports and no one seems to care. I don't know why we can't/shouldn't have rematches in the BSC. Isn't a conference championship often times a rematch?

Paul McGaha
11-25-2011, 12:40 PM
Big, Big game today between LSU and Arkansas.

Hold that Tiger !!!

Kent A Bathurst
11-25-2011, 6:53 PM
All I have to say on the subject is Woooooooo Pig Sooooeeeeee

A-hem!!!!. My friend Paul McG is too kind to say this, but - since I have no affiliation, I am not as constrained. Soooo:

Care to rephrase that, Michael? Looks to me like an old-fasioned butt-whipping to me. :D :D

All good-natured, of course........next year, Razorbacks, next year...............

Michael Weber
11-25-2011, 11:00 PM
A-hem!!!!. My friend Paul McG is too kind to say this, but - since I have no affiliation, I am not as constrained. Soooo:

Care to rephrase that, Michael? Looks to me like an old-fasioned butt-whipping to me. :D :D

All good-natured, of course........next year, Razorbacks, next year...............
Turned out that way. I didn't get to watch the game as I was on the road with family in Oregon. Last year when Arkansas bet LSU, Arkansas took a knee rather than run up the score at the end of the game. Evidently, today Les Miles chose to leave in his starters and run the score up at the end. Bad form for LSU. To see what Bobby Petrino thinks of that you can go to this YouTube video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MaNO_ON1pMQ .:eek: I understand there wasn't much of a handshake afterward. If the Arkansas LSU game wasn't much of a rivalry, it is now :D

Paul McGaha
11-25-2011, 11:36 PM
Turned out that way. I didn't get to watch the game as I was on the road with family in Oregon. Last year when Arkansas bet LSU, Arkansas took a knee rather than run up the score at the end of the game. Evidently, today Les Miles chose to leave in his starters and run the score up at the end. Bad form for LSU. To see what Bobby Petrino thinks of that you can go to this YouTube video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MaNO_ON1pMQ .:eek: I understand there wasn't much of a handshake afterward. If the Arkansas LSU game wasn't much of a rivalry, it is now :D

Hi Michael,

I watched the game. It is true that LSU seemed to run up the score at least 1 drive that lead to the last 3 points. Per the game announcers it seemed LSU was trying to beat Arkansas by more points than Alabama beat Arkansas, in the case this mattered to the BCS people if LSU loses to Georgia in the SEC championship game. Personally, I agree with you that it was in bad form.

I'll pass on the Patrino clip. Not concerned with what he might have to say, based on his performance with the Atlanta Falcons.

PHM

Kent A Bathurst
11-26-2011, 7:56 AM
To see what Bobby Petrino thinks of that...........

Well, now....not to put too fine of a point on it, but.....most folks hereabouts in Atlanta don't actually care very much WHAT Bobby Petrino thinks..........:D