PDA

View Full Version : Not Sure where to post this but feel this is the best place.....

Craig Matheny
09-05-2011, 1:46 PM
Ok I have finished my first pen Saturday (on post My first time) and I did it using a 3/8 gouge and very little sanding, being I can not find my Skew or never had one so here is the question.... I need advise on a skew at this time I plan on only turning pens, so I need to get a skew that would be good for that any suggestions on brands or where to get one, does any one have an extra one to sell. Any help would be great. Again if this is posted in the wrong area Moderator feel free to do what you do :D

Thanks

Betty Fox
09-05-2011, 1:52 PM
Craig,
I have never used a skew on a pen. I use a 3/4 inch gouge. So I'm no help.
:)

bob svoboda
09-05-2011, 1:59 PM
Any small skew will work well on pens. I just use a regular 1/2" skew and love the finish it provides. Be aware, though, the skew takes PRACTICE and can be frustrating at first. The time used to learn this tool is very well spent.

mickey cassiba
09-05-2011, 3:10 PM
What few pens I make are done with a 1" skew I got from Jeff Nicol.

Jim Underwood
09-05-2011, 3:32 PM
Just about any skew will do... Even the cheapy carbon steel ones if you keep 'em sharp and don't burn 'em on the grinder.

I like using a 1" HSS oval skew.

A planing cut is the easiest cut to make with the skew. I'm sure there are several youtube vids that will show you how. The gist of it is to keep the bottom third of the blade in contact with the turning wood, and don't let the upper half come in contact, or you'll have a catch.

Remember the ABCs of a good cut - Anchor the tool on the rest, then rub the Bevel on the wood, then lift the handle until the edge begins to Cut.

Obviously there's a little more to it, but that will get you started thinking about it so that you're not just scraping like I did when I first started.

Greg Just
09-05-2011, 3:45 PM
I have both a 1/2 and 1 1/4 inch skew and use either one. Both work well with a razor sharp edge. The 1/2 inch is an el cheapo from Harbor Freight (part of a set) and it actually works pretty well.

Bill Bolen
09-05-2011, 5:44 PM
I use a 1/2" oval skew from WC, the old Pinnacle brand (woodriver now?). Only ran about $25 if I remember right.

David Warkentin
09-05-2011, 6:45 PM
I have one from Craft Supply but rarely use it. I would recommend an oval skew though.

Lee Koepke
09-05-2011, 7:31 PM
The thing I find about using the skew is its ability to really get that fine cut ... that last little taper, shape, finish, I am not as successful using a gouge to get that finish (but I am still a rookie!)

Jim Burr
09-05-2011, 7:33 PM
I use a skew on anything small. If you watch anything Mr Raffin does, he is a master with one...maybe he's an ok turner?. So instead of saying no...don't use it...give it a whirl. Having just finished 6 pens and 5 bottle stoppers with a skew yesterday, the only problem I ran into was a 3" bottle stopper with a 1/2" skew. I used a Thompson 3/8" to knock it down then hit the skew. They are made for a reason....might as well use it...but practice with it...they can be a little rough.

Harry Robinette
09-05-2011, 8:43 PM
I use a 3/8 Doug T. regular spindle gouge with a long finger nail grind. Lay it down along the wood and you can cut as clean as anything.I use but do not like a skew.

Bernie Weishapl
09-05-2011, 8:58 PM
I use this set from Penn State Industries. I don't use anything but these. These have rounded edges and slide great along the tool rest and won't break the bank.

http://www.pennstateind.com/store/LXRSET.html

Karl Card
09-05-2011, 9:04 PM
as others have stated also, I would take the time to learn the characteristics of the skew iteself. If you are not turning bowls and super hardwood I would probalby go with a carbon or possibly HSS. Just remember the carbon does dull fast, but also sharpens faster. HSS is good but also takes a bit to sharpen. You might also consider the Ci1 ez rougher... not a skew but is very very nice still.

Steve Busey
09-06-2011, 9:37 AM
Craig, I use a 1" flat skew for shaping, but when I get down to the last few passes, I have another 1" radius skew (with a rounded grind). I lay that flat on the rest and use it like a scraper. The rounded grind lets me smooth just a tiny part of the wood at a time. With a light touch, I never have to sand it before applying my finish.

Craig Matheny
09-07-2011, 1:45 PM
Thank you all for the advise now here comes a question. I owe carving tools as I have been carving on and off for 6yrs. Can I use the skew from that set for this being I am just doing pens or if it gets caught is it just not strong enough and could break making an on safe situation:confused:

Andrew Kertesz
09-07-2011, 3:42 PM
For pens I originally bought this set from WC. http://www.woodcraft.com/Product/2003974/9193/3-Piece-Pen-Turning-Set.aspx

Dahl Troy Perry
09-07-2011, 4:19 PM
I plan on only turning pens how many times have we heard that :) He will be sucked in so fast that he won't know what hit him:):):):)

Craig Matheny
09-07-2011, 6:39 PM
See what you all don't know is I make wood Laser Cut Models, the turning is to get a change of pace and clear the mind for more designs. Plus I only have a shop smith can't do a ton with it

Steve Kubien
09-07-2011, 8:49 PM
Don't use carving tools at the lathe. Lots of reasons for this but it all boils down to one thing...death wish. Too thin an edge, too thin shaft, too thin anchor.

Craig Matheny
09-08-2011, 12:39 PM
Don't use carving tools at the lathe. Lots of reasons for this but it all boils down to one thing...death wish. Too thin an edge, too thin shaft, too thin anchor.
That was what I figured but it is always safer to ask first.

Again thank you all