PDA

View Full Version : Performax 16-32 tracking problem.

Scott C. Williams
09-05-2011, 10:50 AM
I recently purchased a used Performax 16-32 Drum Sander which included a new uninstalled feed belt. I installed the new belt according to instructions and now can not prevent the belt from tracking to the outboard side of the table. I removed and reversed the belt to check if it would then track to the inboard side of the table. It still tracked to the outboard side. The belt is a factory Performax ireplacement not a generic brand. Only solution I can think of is the belt is fairly stiff and requires time to become flexible or unit does not have the Performax track guide kit. If any one has experienced this problem and/or has a solution I would be grateful for your reply.

Jay Allen
09-05-2011, 10:55 AM
If it does the same thing with the belt installed either way, I would say that it has nothint to do with the belt. It is more likely in the adjustment of the rollers. Have you adjusted that?

Scott C. Williams
09-05-2011, 11:20 AM
Jay, I adjusted the front roller to overcome any runout per the installation instructions.

Thomas Hotchkin
09-05-2011, 1:25 PM
Scott, I have the Jet 16-32 model. Same problem with tracking. Jet replaced feed belt no help, then they replaced the complete feed bed assy. still no help, I gave up on them. First I leveled the bed with shim washers ( frame had small tweak from manufacturing). On forward roller I added two layer of electrical tape 3/4" wide in center of roller. Next follow manual on set up and tracking of feed belt, very small adjustments are needed to perform tracking changes. Mark forward roller with sharpy with belt centered at each end, this gives you a quick guide as to which way belt is moving off track, then make very small adjustments to correct. Hope this helps. Tom

Tony Zaffuto
09-05-2011, 2:28 PM
Let me give a suggestion in a round-a-bout fashion! I own a manufacturing plant-making parts from powdered metal (gears, bearings, etc.). After the parts are pressed under high tonnage, the parts are "sintered" in electric furnaces on continuous belts.

The belts are subject to the same adjustments you find on sanders such as the 16/32 (I have a 16/32). Through the years, on our furnaces, belts need adjustment, but surprisingly, for a furnace 60' in length, with 135' feet of belting, the adjustments are made in 1/8 to 1/4 turns on the bolts, and then you leave the belt make several complete trips through the furnace for the adjustment to take price.

With the 16/32, you should try to do the same thing: small incremental adjustments on one side, and then let the belt make several trips through the sander to see the effect it has. The first time you adjust the belt will be the most time consuming, because you are learning the effect of turning the adjustment screws. Belt adjustment is a real finesse job, but once you get it, the next time will be all the easier. The adjustment kit helps, but taking your time with the adjustment screws can accomplish the same thing.

keith micinski
09-05-2011, 7:11 PM
I agree on the adjustment being sensitive and needing time. I work at an asphalt plant and we have hundreds of feet of belts 36 inches wide and I always have to tell the guy I work with to take it easy. If you can see the adjustment right away you probably went to far. Also pressure and stretching in different areas of the belt are going to make it move no matter what adjustments you make so your best bet is to try and find the happy medium that allows the belt to have enough room to move around on both sides with out causing a problem. I put a new belt on my performax and the adjustments were completely different from the old one but I just kept working at it slowly till I got it while running it empty and then made some minor adjustments after running a few pieces of wood threw it at different spots and seeing what it did.

Tony Zaffuto
09-05-2011, 7:16 PM
To reiterate what Keith and I have said, very light on the adjustment and let the belt cycle through a few times to see the effect. It is very rare that when the belt tracks without moving, that it is perfectly centered on the rollers. Don't let that bother you!