PDA

View Full Version : 'Liquid nails'

Carl Beckett
09-05-2011, 8:01 AM
I 'used' to use this stuff from time to time. But then I noticed a change that it wasn't working well. Next time I am at the Borg store, I look more carefully and it seems they no longer have the general purpose stuff. They have a dozen versions of specialty stuff based on what you want to glue with it.From what I can tell, they have all went water base. Also from what I can tell, it doesn't work worth dang. Short of skipping this type of 'bandaid' product all together, does anyone have a recommendation on a substitute product? ( or if the original formula is still available)

Joseph Tarantino
09-05-2011, 10:29 AM
i noticed the same thing. now i call the manufacturer, tell them what i want to join together and they tell me which of their products will do what i want to do.

Craig McCormick
09-05-2011, 10:39 AM
Most failures of LN happen because the user does not follow the directions.

AZCRAIG
Former LN Rep.

Carl Beckett
09-05-2011, 11:42 AM
Thanks for the commentsYes, with research and adhering to specific guidelines and recommendations, the performance would no doubt improveBut one of the reasons I liked the old formula, was that I didn't have to do that. The general versatility was what I liked about it. Nope I didn't use it 'properly'. But it still worked well.Now it doesn't, and there are a dozen different specific formulations for each particular task. It's lost it's versatility (to me).

David Thompson 27577
09-05-2011, 1:12 PM
I 'used' to use this stuff from time to time. But then I noticed a change that it wasn't working well. Next time I am at the Borg store, I look more carefully and it seems they no longer have the general purpose stuff. They have a dozen versions of specialty stuff based on what you want to glue with it.From what I can tell, they have all went water base. Also from what I can tell, it doesn't work worth dang. Short of skipping this type of 'bandaid' product all together, does anyone have a recommendation on a substitute product? ( or if the original formula is still available)

Look for PL premium. IT's way better than that other stuff.

Craig Michael
09-05-2011, 4:58 PM
what David Thompson said. PL premium is a much better product. I always use that.

Glen Butler
09-06-2011, 1:50 AM
Are you in Cali where they want to outlaw everything? I can still get the same old stuff at my local borg. I usually go to the lumber yard to get it though (Not LN Brand), to support small business. Agreed PL Premium is good stuff.

Larry Edgerton
09-06-2011, 7:01 AM
I have been using PL Premium as well but I was wondering if anyone has tried that glue that is dispensed with a foam gun? curious how that works out before I invest in the setup. Looks like a lot less hassle for subfloors.

Larry

Larry Edgerton
09-06-2011, 7:03 AM
I have been using PL Premium as well but I was wondering if anyone has tried that glue that is dispensed with a foam gun? curious how that works out before I invest in the setup. Looks like a lot less hassle for subfloors.

Larry

Harry Hagan
09-06-2011, 10:53 AM
This post reminds me of the time I contacted a major caulking manufacturer about which of their “specialty” caulks was suitable for my project.

After some pointed questions about the characteristics of the “specialty” caulks, the CSR finally admitted the labeling was a marketing tactic—all of the varieties contained the same product and since my borg was out of the special stuff, any one would do the job.