PDA

View Full Version : Central Florida Woodworkers Get-Together

Mike Fitterling
02-23-2005, 9:56 AM
Hello All! I am putting together a get-together in March at my shop. I am an old Badger Ponder and I know that a few other Ponders came over here so I wanted to post this here, too. You don't have to be a former Ponder to attend, however, all are welcome. We have people attending from Woodnet and Woodcentral also. The Orlando (actually in Kissimmee) Woodworking Show is that weekend.

Get-together will be the 12th at my shop in Lake Wales. I am thinking a time of 3 PM until whenever, so anyone going to the Woodworking Show in Orlando (really it is in Kissimmee) will have time for both. If you want to come hang out earlier ya'll are welcome to. I will be going to the show on Friday, the 11th, so I can set things up Sat morning.

I will provide beer and soft drinks. If you have a specific brew you prefer, bring it along. I will also help Knot (Woodnet member and rib cook par excellence)with the cost of the ribs. By the way, I have a venison shoulder if anyone is interested in cooking that, too. I'm not much of a cook, but I am willing to donate it to the cause if anyone wants to cook it. Let me know so I can thaw it in time.

One person has offered to bring their lathe. If anyone else is interested in doing a demo, etc. please let me know. At your disposal are all my tools: 18" bandsaw, 12" bandsaw, tablesaw, mitre saw, radial arm saw, benchtop mortiser, drill press, planer, jointer, routers and table (not too many bits), wet grinder, combo sander, spindle sander, shaper (not too many bits), scroll saw, and a range of handplanes and hand tools. Maybe someone would like to rehab a plane or do a scary sharp or sharpening demo. French polishing? I'd like to see that done. Just ideas.

Rod Peterson, another former Ponder, is posting a map later so everyone can find their way. As soon as I have the URL for the map I'll post it here. There will be no signs this year, as last year when I did this for Woodnet guys the city pulled all our signs as fast as we could post them. Generally, Lake Wales is smack dab in the middle of the peninsula, where US Hwy 27 (north to south) and State Road 60 (east to west, from Tampa to Vero Beach) intersect.

So far, I think we have about 2 dozen coming plus family members, with a few from Woodcentral and a bunch from Woodnet. Please email me at my regular email account and let me know if you are coming and if you are bringing family members, how many there will be. mgeditor@lostclassicsbooks.com

Now, we will need volunteers for napkins, paper plates, utensils, potato salad, coleslaw, desert, etc. Thanks All. See you on the 12th.

Mike Fitterling
02-23-2005, 12:05 PM
Rod Peterson has been kind enough to create a map with driving directions for us. Find the intersection of US Hwy 27 and State Road 60 and the map will take you from there. Hope some of you fellow Florida woodworkers can make it. Thanks again, Rod, for the map.

http://woodbutcher.net/fitterling/