PDA

View Full Version : Shorts How You Are Storing Yours!

richard poitras
09-04-2011, 11:10 PM
I am looking at making a storage rack of some kind for my short stock/pieces. I am wanting a design that is on wheels and can easily be accessible for getting the stock. Are you guys storing your shorts horizontally or vertically? So let’s see your small wood piece storage designs if you would.

Thanks guys Richard

Cody Colston
09-05-2011, 12:13 AM
I copied mine from a WOOD magazine plan in their "Best Shop Tips" a few years ago. It's app. 4' wide, 12" high in front and 3' high in back. I place shorts in it vertically, with the tallest ones at the rear.

It isn't mobile but it wouldn't be much of a chore to add casters to make it so. Here's a crude sketch of it (I'm not at home).

Paul Girouard
09-05-2011, 1:06 AM
Top right drawer of my dress , folded right over left , label top dead center, .... Er ,,, ah ,, Oh I see wood shorts. Mostly in in the burn boxes... Carry on..

Jay Jolliffe
09-05-2011, 8:05 AM
Mine stay in a neat pile until their in the way or I get sick of looking at them then cut them up for the wood stove. Wouldn't you know months later i'll be looking for that peice I know I have .....then remember it went in the wood stove last winter.

Kent A Bathurst
09-05-2011, 10:41 AM
I have a shelf where they get tossed - literally tossed. Every month or so, I go through them, sort them out by group - 1/2" ply, 3/4" ply, softwood, various hardwood species, trash. Each pass, the trash gets about 1/3 of the total.

Except hardwoods..we don't use our fireplace, but we have friends that use theirs a lot. So - the never-ending supply of empty Sierra Nevada boxes get hardwood shorts, and off-cuts from rough lumber, and they go to kindling for them.

Right now, I'm in the middle of a dining room set from a flitch of QSWO, so a lot of wane-edge-sapwood scrap..........7 boxes stacked up - gotta make a run to drop them off on their back stoop..............

Dave Cav
09-05-2011, 1:22 PM
Really short pieces (up to about 18") and scrap go in a bin under the RAS and if not used for jigs or other odds and ends, eventually go in the burn barrel. Longer pieces of hardwood (up to about 48" or so) go in a rolling bin under the big TS outfeed table. Anything longer than 48" or so goes back out on the lumber rack in the tractor shed behind the shop.

Neil Brooks
09-05-2011, 1:55 PM
Mine are all over the shop.

I mean ... everywhere.

So far, it's working okay, but ... the notion of a 3-5 compartment bin ... is in my future ;)

Joe Angrisani
09-05-2011, 2:06 PM
Mine are all over the shop.

I mean ... everywhere.

Amen, brother......

Brian Jarnell
09-05-2011, 3:06 PM
I am never ceased to be amazed , out oll the ends that I have, that it is rare there is a peice that I want.

David Brimm
09-05-2011, 3:57 PM
Sorry about the picture quality I had to crop it out of the background of a bigger pic but it gets the job done. I store all my shorts stacked up on a wire rack by width, length and species.. easy enough to do and it really helps when I am looking for something specific.

John Messinger
09-05-2011, 6:25 PM
I have wood burning stove. Shorts go in there, and never seem to come out.