PDA

View Full Version : Craigslist has Delta lathe 46-701. Good lathe?

Tim Leiter
09-04-2011, 10:13 PM
Good evening,

I was just perusing the local Craigslist ads and happened on a Delta Lathe, model 46-701 for sale. The ad says "Only used a few times so this is in very good condition". He is asking $250.00 for it. It looks to be on a stand. I have sent an email to see if the stand goes with it and if it is still available. It looks very nice in the picture shown. It is about an hour away or more from me and I really don't want to waste my time looking at it if I don't intend to buy it.

My question is: Is this a good, full sized lathe? Is it worth the price?

Thanks so much for any responses,
Tim.

Bob Hamilton
09-05-2011, 1:38 AM
Hi, Tim:
I started out turning on a 46-700, which is the same lathe without the stand. It is roughly equivalent to a Jet 1236. They sold new for about $500 when they were in production. The lathe had several features that I quite liked, but the Reeves drive speed control is pretty poor. The motor end variable diameter pulley on mine kept failing because it is made of white metal and the shaft key is only partially engaged with the outer half of the pulley when you are using anything except the highest speeds. I had to replace the drive pulley assembly three times over the 12 years that I had it and it was shot again when I finally replaced the lathe. The third time that I ordered the replacement parts they were back ordered for several weeks before I could finally get them, and that was over 10 years ago, so parts availability might be a problem.

On the other hand, if you watch Youtube videos, the user haydenHD uses one in most of his videos. He does have the plastic cowling removed from the headstock, but it is a 46-700.

Take care
Bob

Bernie Weishapl
09-05-2011, 10:10 AM
A friend and neighbor here in town had one he bought used. He had the same problem with the reeves drive. We rebuilt that thing I think at least twice in 5 yrs. 2 yrs ago they back ordered the parts. After I think 7 or 8 weeks of waiting for parts he finally gave up and bought the Nova 1624 when it went on sale.

Tim Leiter
09-05-2011, 7:32 PM
Thanks guys for your responses.