PDA

View Full Version : backup wood

Dahl Troy Perry
09-04-2011, 5:56 PM
Here is by problem I've been using (trying) to turn a hollow form segmented I glued the first ring to hardborad and screwed it to my faceplate. The hardboard has seperated and I had to grab the hollow form out of mid air Well picked it up from the floor.:( This has happened 3 times today .I glued white pine this time to the back have not tryed it yet. What do you glue to the back for a waste block that will not come apart and is easy to remove????

Ronald Fox
09-04-2011, 6:32 PM
I picked up a Beall spindle tap and have been making my own "Faceplates" out of Maple. I have a layer of "Sacrificial" hardwood between my segmented piece and the wooden face plate. Then I can simply part off the piece when I have finished it. When the sacrificial layer gets thin, I simply flatten it and glue on a new layer for my next project. Hope this make sence.

Ron

Don Alexander
09-05-2011, 12:25 AM
use a hardwood like maple for that application mdf, particleboard, hardboard etc will come apart pretty easily under moderate strain they simply are not designed for that type use

you want something hard with tight grain and good structural integrity like maple soft woods generally don't have the structural integrity to make good glue blocks HTH