PDA

View Full Version : Shaper Question

Richard McComas
09-04-2011, 2:41 PM
This shaper is for sale on my local Craig List.

I'm not sure yet but I think is a 2 hp machine. I don't know the spindle size yet either(waiting for the guy to call me.

Is 2 hp enough for sticking and coping stiles and rails for raised panel doors? I have a lager shaper for the panel raising.

http://anchorage.craigslist.org/tls/2576234802.html

Tom Jones III
09-04-2011, 4:06 PM
Yes 2 HP should be fine for sticking and coping

Peter Quinn
09-05-2011, 8:07 AM
For coping, definitely. For sticking, cabinet doors shouldn't be a problem on an old Rockwell. When they rated at 2hp, they meant it. I'm coping cabinet doors on a shaper much smaller than that with a 11/2hp motor and it's pretty effortless. I never use it for anything else so it's always readyntongo! Sort of like having an extra router in the corner.

david brum
09-05-2011, 8:54 PM
I have a Jet 2 hp shaper that I recently used to make the coping and sticking for full size French doors. It worked great with the 3/4" spindle and 3" diameter insert head with HSS knives. The cuts were clean, much better than you'd get with a router. You do need to make or buy a coping jig. I would also recommend a power feeder. The "baby feeders" are a good match for this size shaper, and fairly reasonably priced.