PDA

View Full Version : DIY BowlSteady

Steve Harder
09-04-2011, 1:28 PM
Finally got around to making a bowl-steady - and it does help with chatter when you are hogging while roughing out bowls.

I would sometimes get some chatter and rattle when roughing - this lets me take heavier cuts.

Well worth the $10 in materials.

Russell Neyman
09-04-2011, 1:43 PM
Well done. You might want to pick up some clear roller blade wheels at a garage sale and swap them out. The black tends to mark the wood.

Steve Kubien
09-04-2011, 2:14 PM
Brilliant. This is a version of Russ Fairfield's bowl steady but beefed up like it's on steroids. Well done. You have inspired a use for some steel I have kicking around in my shop.

Tom Winship
09-04-2011, 2:22 PM
Good job, but what's with the tennis balls?
I need to build one.

Steve Harder
09-04-2011, 5:03 PM
The tennis balls are 'protectors' on the top of shafts that have carbide inserts, hunter cutters, etc -- that I use in my elbo hollowing arm.

Bill Bolen
09-04-2011, 5:27 PM
A fine Job Steve. There aplenty of times when those come in real handy.

Bernie Weishapl
09-04-2011, 6:38 PM
Great job on a sturdy looking unit.

Thomas Canfield
09-04-2011, 9:50 PM
Looks good Steve. I would suggest that the stand for the wheels should be able to rotate some to have the wheels make more of a right angle contact to the surface on the bowl to provide more support since with the wheels perpendicular to the bed, the bowl is pushing on the side of the wheels. Even having the stand at an angle so that the way attachment would normally be back toward the headstock would give you some contact adjustment and still be away from the tool rest support. Just an suggest for possible improvement for the next one.

John Fabre
09-04-2011, 10:36 PM
Well worth the $10 in materials.
Well designed, did you do the welding, it's heavy duty.