PDA

View Full Version : Wagner HVLP problem

Allen Burton
09-04-2011, 7:29 AM
I got my Wagner HVLP conversion sprayer out after several months to spray some lawn furniture. It was working well when I put it up after the last use, but now when I connect the air hose, air is continuously coming out of the tip. When I pull the trigger, paint comes out also, but the continuous flow of air is straining my small compressor. Any ideas on what could be wrong? When I last used the gun it does not seem like the air flowed continuously. I am also very new at spray guns but I did clean it up very well after the last uses.

Matt Meiser
09-04-2011, 9:19 AM
From what you are saying it sounds like the air is coming out of the tip? Is it possible that something is just loose, especially in the tip area?

Allen Burton
09-04-2011, 9:50 AM
Thanks Matt. The air is coming out of the tip where the paint comes out. I have tightened everything and can find nothing loose. There is a channel in the gun for the air to come out in the tip like it is, but in the past I do not remember it happening unless the trigger was pulled.

Don Selke
09-04-2011, 6:38 PM
Allen:
Give Gleem paint a call and they will help you with the problem, they are very nice people to deal with. I have both the Wagner conversion gun and the turbin gun. I buy all my parts from Gleem Paint. If you do a search for them, you will find them on the web.
Along with there telephone number. The packing that surrounds the needle valve may of dried out or is missing.

Good Luck:

dave toney
09-04-2011, 7:14 PM
I am not familiar with this spray gun, but it could be an overtightened packing nut at the air valve.
Dave

johnny means
09-04-2011, 8:21 PM
I can't say I'm familiar wit your specific system, but I do have several types of hvlp as well as conventional spray systems that I use on a regular basis. One thing that I have learned is that with any spray gun malfunction my first step is a complete breakdown and cleaning. A good bath in some Clean and Dip solves 99% of my problems. For those it doesn't I have at least eliminated any debris that could get in the way of a thorough diagnosis as well as giving myself a clean gun to work on. IME a leaky gun is usually related to sticking parts associated with tight clearances. You would be surprised at how little residue it takes to make a needle sticky. It may not be a problem until it has had time to really cure. Also I apply a small amount of spray gun oil to any bearing surfaces in my gun. This lubes them for use and also keeps finish from sticking to these surfaces.

Peter Elliott
09-04-2011, 8:24 PM
There is a little compression nut that is on the trigger pin. Sounds like that is stuck.. If you pull your trigger, you'll see this pin, about 1" in length that the trigger lever follows.. Like a 6penny nail. There is a nut that if you tighten too much the pin doesn't slide and remains either open or closed. loosen that nut and put a drop of oil on the "pin". Outside of that I would go through the entire cleaning process. But it sounds like the the trigger pin is stuck open.