PDA

View Full Version : best method for perforating paper ?

stefano panusa
09-04-2011, 2:27 AM
Just wondering what the best method for lasering a line of perforating dots on paper/card stock is ?

Using something like a bunch of periods seems inefficient. Basically looking for something like.. fire, move, fire, move, etc.

Thanks!

Rodne Gold
09-04-2011, 3:49 AM
If your laser has a ppi or frequency setting , make it low , like 25 ppi , that will give you 25 perforations per inch.
Put your equipment in your signature so we can help you better.

Rodne Gold
09-04-2011, 3:53 AM
Or you could just use a dotted or dashed line in corel.

stefano panusa
09-04-2011, 4:26 AM
Thanks for the input. I have a Chinese laser, so I don't have that setting. However, I will play around with the dotted line in Corel Draw and Adobe Illustrator.

Rodne Gold
09-04-2011, 4:36 AM
You might have the dotting function in your software with the laser. Check it

John Noell
09-04-2011, 3:12 PM
Note that you can customize the dashes in Corel. (In the lines part of the object manager docker, click "Advanced, then Edit Style in the dialog box.) Some papers bend/tear differently depending on perf style.

Martin Boekers
09-04-2011, 4:51 PM
Depends upon what the perforations are for.

On previous charity events I printed my own raffle tickets
and the perforated tear-off I ran through a sewing machine
without thread.

Worked great for my needs!

John Noell
09-05-2011, 3:48 PM
Clever, Martin! However, we do heavy paper inserts for our jewlery boxes and we need both a tear-off perf as well as perfs for bending the paper inserts. The spped and accuracy of the laser is more than I want to try matching with the sewing machine. (Besides, I hear my wife yelling, "What are you doing with MY sewing machine!?!")

Ted Calver
09-05-2011, 4:58 PM
Not laser, but effective. We have used one of these for years to perforate heavy stock for folding and tear-offs. Check it out:

http://www.amazon.com/Fiskars-Portable-Trimmer-Replacement-Perforating/dp/B000NV4L10/ref=sr_1_6?ie=UTF8&qid=1315256279&sr=8-6