PDA

View Full Version : New Lathe Arrived Today!

Noah Barfield
09-04-2011, 12:34 AM
Hi all,

I'm a novice turner and am excited to learn more about wood turning. My new lathe arrived today, a Jet 1642-2. I spent the day putting it all together--here are a couple of pictures:

Noah

Jeff Hamilton Jr.
09-04-2011, 12:47 AM
That is gonna be fun Noah! Welcome to the vortex. I like your base too; is it "homemade?"

Marty Eargle
09-04-2011, 1:00 AM
Congrats on the new lathe! Prepare to change the word "novice" to "addict"...

Dig in deep, it's going to be a long ride! :)

Noah Barfield
09-04-2011, 1:18 AM
That is gonna be fun Noah! Welcome to the vortex. I like your base too; is it "homemade?"

Thanks guys! The base is homemade. I followed Dominc Greco's plans that he posted back in 2003. Someday I may have enough skill to build a ballast box like his too.

Noah

charlie knighton
09-04-2011, 3:03 AM
enjoy, check out some dust protection

Russell Neyman
09-04-2011, 4:31 AM
Thanks guys! The base is homemade. I followed Dominc Greco's plans that he posted back in 2003. Someday I may have enough skill to build a ballast box like his too.

Noah

Throw three or four two-by-fours between the lower braces and put 5-600 pounds worth of sandbags on it. You life will be simpler without that vibration. Welcome to the clan.

Faust M. Ruggiero
09-04-2011, 7:22 AM
Another tall guy. What did you eat when you were growing up. You will never know the joy of turning on tippi toes. Heck, I have to stand on a box to keep my scraper handle higher then the tool rest. Enjoy the new lathe and be safe. This group of turners will be a great help getting started.
faust

Keith E Byrd
09-04-2011, 7:27 AM
Congrats on the new lathe! You're gonna have some fun spinning through the vortex!

Michelle Rich
09-04-2011, 7:35 AM
you sure started out with a bang. a 1642 is a serious tool. Have fun & hope you post your journey

Paul Heely
09-04-2011, 7:45 AM
Congratulations Noah. Nice job on the base. Only one problem I see, it's way to clean :D.

Paul

John Keeton
09-04-2011, 8:00 AM
Noah, welcome to the vortex. You are going to love the Jet - nice choice. Do the ballast next on the list - it will make a huge difference in your turning experience.
Another tall guy. What did you eat when you were growing up. You will never know the joy of turning on tippi toes.
faustMy thoughts exactly!!!:D But, there are advantages to being short - including not having to build a raised base for my lathe!!

Russell Eaton
09-04-2011, 8:27 AM
Sweet lathe. The ballast box is a huge help as said before. Have fun and be safe!

Thom Sturgill
09-04-2011, 8:52 AM
Nice lathe, welcome to the vortex. I don't know about these tall guys, I had to build a platform to stand on to turn comfortably on my Jet.

gary Zimmel
09-04-2011, 9:11 AM
Congrats on the new lathe Noah. Let us know how the maiden spin goes...

Steve Schlumpf
09-04-2011, 9:53 AM
Noah - Congrats on your new lathe - excellent choice!! I have had mine for 5 years and have really put it through the paces!

Along the lines of add-ons for your lathe - you will want to consider installing a remote on/off switch so that you do not have to reach across a spinning mass of wood to turn off the lathe! I created a PDF on making your own remote that will work on your lathe as well as the Powermatic 3520s, so when/if you are interested, send me a PM with your email address.

Nate Davey
09-04-2011, 10:13 AM
+1 to Steves suggestion for a remote switch. A few ways to skin that cat, but it sure is nice to be able to move the on/off switch to where ever you are working and turn it off with your hip. Hope you enjoy your Jet as much as I have mine.

Mike Willeson
09-04-2011, 10:27 AM
Nice lathe and nice base...have fun!!

Jon Nuckles
09-04-2011, 2:47 PM
Welcome to the vortex. Time to say goodbye to your savings!

Noah Barfield
09-04-2011, 2:59 PM
Another tall guy. What did you eat when you were growing up. You will never know the joy of turning on tippi toes. Heck, I have to stand on a box to keep my scraper handle higher then the tool rest. Enjoy the new lathe and be safe. This group of turners will be a great help getting started.
faust

Thanks! I've been taking classes in Seattle from a fellow who's a bit on the average / short side. He kept saying "follow the line" as I was working on the inside of my bowls. I had no idea what he meant until during my third class, I began crouching down. Suddenly I could see the inside of the bowl!