PDA

View Full Version : Makita LS0714 dust shoot fix?

Peter Kuhlman
09-03-2011, 10:43 PM
I recently purchased this sweet little miter saw. Really like it BUT the rubber dust collection shoot is so flexible that it collapses when I hook a dust collector to it - a Festool CT22. I have to dial the suction way down to not suck it closed. Any one know of a simple fix or improvement for this? Thanks.
Pete

Jim Andrew
09-04-2011, 2:06 PM
I put some duct tape on the sides of the rubber chute up to the machine to hold it open. Mine did the same thing. Would like to make a longer, stiffer chute, only thing I've seen is someone using cardboard. A flexible type plastic would make a better chute, especially something a little stiffer, but still bend if you have a thick board you are cutting.

Peter Kuhlman
09-04-2011, 7:39 PM
Thanks Jim for the reply. Will try your ideas. Thinking the soft rubber used is only good for the supplied dust bag.

Jim Andrew
09-04-2011, 10:36 PM
Wouldn't it be great if the tool companies would realize we are using vacs on the tools they build? I've been trying to figure out a way to put a vac on my Makita skil saw. Tried gluing a vac hose tip over the dust outlet with super glue, worked great till the glue gave up. Need to have plastics tec ability.

raul segura
09-04-2011, 11:44 PM
I used PVC on my compound slider right behind the blade and of course it broke when a block of wood flue into it. Other wise it worked well at deflecting. Ive since replaced with meta as I have access to a welder. PVC will form very well if heated with torch or paint gun then quenched in H2O. I usually bolt the parts down rather than glue.

Kevin Stricker
09-05-2011, 12:12 AM
I don't have that problem with my 0714, but it's a couple years old so maybe they changed the rubber. I've heard of people duct taping a open paperclip to the outside of the dust shoot to keep it open.

I used to think glueing a larger strip of rubber to the shoot might improve the DC, but it is already pretty good.