PDA

View Full Version : Is this a good price for this lathe?

Joe McMahon
09-03-2011, 10:04 PM
including the toolsI just started turning and use a Jet mini. I really enjoy the turning and see that it can make a lot more things than pens. A fellow has a Yates American 3/4 hp 1Ph J-170 for sale with some tools

"Four face plates, Jacobs drill chuck, four jaw chuck (I forgot, but might be a vicmark, not sure anymore), almost new condition Crown chisels, Sorbey's polishing system (never used), another Sorbey chisel, live center, and a drive center"

Is this a good choice for a lathe? What is a fair price?

I am clueless. TIA, Joe

Dale Miner
09-04-2011, 12:59 PM
My first wood lathe purchase was a J-170 Yates American. I actually purchased it to spin metal on. It was a 3/4 hp three phase, no tooling, ex school lathe. It was an Ebay purchase at $600. I watched Craigslist and Ebay for a while afterwards, and that seemed to be about the going price for one. The lathe is built like a tank. The headstock bearings are huge for a 12" woodlathe, the diameter of the spindle between the bearing is about 1 3/4", and the spacing between the bearings is wide. The reeves drive system is one of the better ones with a set of compensating pulleys instead of a single spring loaded pulley on the motor. All in all, a top of the line machine for it's time. I would say that the Yates American tooling was very close if not equal to the Oliver line at the time. Single phase versus three phase is a plus in the price department. 3/4 Hp with the reeves drive system is adequate power, as the motor is running full speed at all times, and slowing the spindle rpms down results in more available torque at the spindle. On mine, with an aggresive enough cut to slow the spindle, the belts slip, the motor does not stall. The banjo has a cam configuration that holds very well if working properly. If not adjusted properly or worn out, it may be neccessary to use a wrench to loosen and tighten the banjo. I had to make a new cam shaft for mine, as the original was worn.

The detractors;

The slow speed is about 450 rpm or so. With some trimming of the blanks, this is slow enough. 200 rpm would be nice.

The swing of the lathe is 12" over the ways. Not much can be done with this. The out board end is threaded 1-1/8" left hand, so I suppose a floor standing tool rest is an option, but not one I would consider. The gap in the bed is really not usefull for anything other than platters mounted on a faceplate.

As mentioned above, the spindle threads are 1-1/8" 8 tpi (right hand on the inboard, left hand outboard). This is not a common size, although chuck adaptors are available for this thread for most quality chucks. Retail outlets may have to order the adaptors, or it may be necessary to order the adaptors online. I think the standard spindle size for 12" lathes is 1" 8 tpi, so the 1-1/8" is beefier.

The belts for the reeves drive sytem will probably need to be ordered online, and depending where ordered from, can be pricey. New belts make the machine run smooth as silk with minimum slippage.

A 3520B is now also in the stable, but the Yates still gets used for shaving making from time to time. When there is a gathering of turners here, the lathe will get compliments on how well built it is and how smooth it runs.

Joe McMahon
09-04-2011, 3:46 PM
Dale, thanks for the reply. As I reconsider this, I can get a new Delta midi for less money and get a 5 year warranty. It is easier to move and install. I am leaning to the midi.

Joe

John Keeton
09-04-2011, 6:36 PM
Joe, Dale's response is very informative, and the lathe sounds like it could be a nice one. However, I don't think you will regret getting the Delta 46-460 - very nice lathe!

Joe McMahon
09-04-2011, 7:11 PM
John, I've taken Dale's words to heart. I've been pricing the Delta midi most of the afternoon and I believe that SWMBO will go along with this good looking lathe.