PDA

View Full Version : A rare bit 'o' burr!

Richard Kennedy UK
09-03-2011, 3:54 PM
Unusual for me in that I never turn the stuff but in the last few months I have come into possession of one or two pieces of burr elm. This is the first of these pieces and although I have a couple of whoppers I decided to play safe and start with a smallish bit! Sadly the tree surgeon who had removed the burr had cut it in half and then chopped odd bits from sides leaving me with a very odd shaped blank. As a result the finished piece was a tad smaller than I would have liked but it was a great learning experience in handling odd shaped bits of wood! Finished piece is 120mm x 100mm with an oil finish I expect the piece to move a bit but we will have to see what happens for now he is living in a paper bag to moderate the drying process!

C&C welcome Thanks for looking

Richard

Ted Calver
09-03-2011, 4:25 PM
That's a great piece, Richard. You did that bit proud!!

charlie knighton
09-03-2011, 4:33 PM
very nice, Richard, pretty wood

Steve Schlumpf
09-03-2011, 4:38 PM
Beautiful work Richard! Really like the natural edge and your photography really stands out! Love the dramatic lighting!!

Richard Kennedy UK
09-03-2011, 8:02 PM
Thanks for your comments! I hope the rest turns out as figured as this bit was!

Bernie Weishapl
09-03-2011, 8:07 PM
Beautiful piece and wood. Really well done.

David E Keller
09-03-2011, 8:32 PM
Very nice, Richard! It looks a bit different from the elm burl we have around here... Yours seems to have better color! I can't wait to see what you do with the larger chunks!

John Keeton
09-03-2011, 8:58 PM
Richard, this certainly is a nice one! I hope the other looks this good.

Billy Tallant
09-03-2011, 9:03 PM
Very nice piece of wood. Your craftsmanship looks well. Excellent job.

Jim Burr
09-03-2011, 9:18 PM
For a rare piece over there, you did a great job!! Beautiful job of showing off a great chunk of wood!

Curt Fuller
09-03-2011, 10:16 PM
Never met a Burr or a Burl that I didn't like! That's a great bowl and shows off the beauty of the wood well. I like your photo also.

Richard Kennedy UK
09-04-2011, 7:41 AM
Thanks again everyone for taking the time to comment Sadly the Elm tree was devastated by Dutch Elm disease several years ago so there isn't as much of it about as I would like! I am privileged to be given the opportunity to work on some.

Thanks again